Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Database that insurance companies use for car details

• 22-08-2020 9:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,027 ✭✭✭✭

Currently getting quotes for insurance and when I put my reg into the insurance companies websites a few have come back with my car bring a manual which it isn't, it's a hybrid which are all auto. I don't remember seeing transmission type whenever I've renewed before and I know that it won't be an issue as the car is unmodified in anyway its their database that's wrong. In saying that I'd like to get the details correct but I can't find any details on where the insurance companies get their information, does anyone know how to update their database?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Del2005 wrote: »
    .... I can't find any details on where the insurance companies get their information, does anyone know how to update their database?

I suspect that the insurance companies get the data from the vehicle registration database in Shannon. And that data would have been supplied to Revenue by the original dealer when they were paying the VRT and getting the registration number.

I had a 2007 Golf GT 170 PS which was registered as a 140 PS model (30 bhp lower). Both models had the same 1,400 c.c. engine, and the VRT and annual tax (then based on c.c) were the same. So Revenue didn't care. But every time I renewed the insurance, I made sure that the policy had the correct model specs.

I woudn't bother attempting to get the registration database updated. Because you could fall into the trap whereby it counts as a 'modification' and gets a flag in the registration database. So just continue with getting quotes and when you get to the proposal stage, tell the insurance company that it's an auto and the database in Shannon is wrong. It wont be the first time they've heard this, believe me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,779 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

coylemj wrote: »
    I suspect that the insurance companies get the data from the vehicle registration database in Shannon. And that data would have been supplied to Revenue by the original dealer when they were paying the VRT and getting the registration number.

I had a 2007 Golf GT 170 PS which was registered as a 140 PS model (30 bhp lower). Both models had the same 1,400 c.c. engine, and the VRT and annual tax (then based on c.c) were the same. So Revenue didn't care. But every time I renewed the insurance, I made sure that the policy had the correct model specs.

I woudn't bother attempting to get the registration database updated. Because you could fall into the trap whereby it counts as a 'modification' and gets a flag in the registration database. So just continue with getting quotes and when you get to the proposal stage, tell the insurance company that it's an auto and the database in Shannon is wrong. It wont be the first time they've heard this, believe me.

Well Aviva us a UK database, as every year, our Renault kept coming up as a Grand Scenic, when in fact it was a Megane Tourer. I had countless calls over it, including a letter from Renault confirming it to be a..........Megane Tourer....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

galwaytt wrote: »
    Well Aviva us a UK database, as every year, our Renault kept coming up as a Grand Scenic, when in fact it was a Megane Tourer. I had countless calls over it, including a letter from Renault confirming it to be a..........Megane Tourer....

I assume you mean they keyed in the VIN number and the wrong model came up - why would a car that was shipped to Ireland be in a UK database? The wrong model probably keeps 'coming up' because that's what it says in the registration database in Shannon.

The letter you got from Renault - who did you send it to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,779 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

coylemj wrote: »
    I assume you mean they keyed in the VIN number and the wrong model came up - why would a car that was shipped to Ireland be in a UK database? The wrong model probably keeps 'coming up' because that's what it says in the registration database in Shannon.

The letter you got from Renault - who did you send it to?

No, they go by registration number.

Aviva are a UK company, use a UK database.

The vehicle registration document from Shannon is correct, and I sent that, the letter from Renault AND I bought the actual sales brochure on eBay for my exact car, scanned that and sent it to them and..............when renewal came back.............they had it as a Scenic again.

Typical usual SISO on the data front. With data that incorrect, what does GDPR even matter ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement