Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfer switch for generator: really confused

Options
  • 22-08-2020 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

I have been reading this thread https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2058002722 and as a layman I am completely at a loss to know how to proceed with getting a transfer switch for a generator, other than to learn that there does not seem to be any definitive rules/regulations for their installation. The only consensus appears to be that the backup generator should be permanently connected to the existing house electrics, via a switch, and beyond that it is every man for himself.

I have been looking at something like this https://cleanmachines.ie/product/hyundai-dhy6000se-5-2kw-silent-standby-diesel-generator/ or similar, and before I ring my electrician about installing a switch, what do I need to know? What needs to be done to make it safe.

I also have some gas combi boilers that won't work with floating earth/neutral (we were unable to power them from a battery + inverter because the inverters did not have bonded earth/neutral) and will a floating neutral issue in a generator be overridden when it is connected to the existing domestic circuit?

Any advice would be welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭mountai

Get a QUALIFIED electrician to look at your house , then , take HIS (or HER ) advice .

The incorrect answer is;

RQxRkBP.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

banjolin wrote: »
    before I ring my electrician about installing a switch, what do I need to know? What needs to be done to make it safe.

You don't need to know anything, all you need to so is employ the services of someone that does!
    I also have some gas combi boilers that won't work with floating earth/neutral (we were unable to power them from a battery + inverter because the inverters did not have bonded earth/neutral) and will a floating neutral issue in a generator be overridden when it is connected to the existing domestic circuit?

The boiler won't know if it is supplied from a network of large generators (the ESB) or a small local generator, all that will matter is that it is wired correctly.

If you really want to investigate it yourself the ETCI produced a code of practice for the installation of LV generators, ET210:2003. This document clearly shows what is required in terms of switching (or lack thereof) for phase, neutral and earth conductors.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭banjolin

Well it seems simple enough. Thank you all. I'll just go and stick my spoon in a socket.

Advertisement