Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dish for Lasagne

• 22-08-2020 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭

I have some dishes but not deep enough. I don't mind investing in a nice le Creuset one.

Any advice please? Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

I got some Le Creuset casserole dishes decades ago with gift vouchers.

They last forever - until you drop them on your ceramic tile floor. :rolleyes:

I too would like a nice, reliable, non-cracking lasagne dish, so will watch for suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭forumdedum

I got some Le Creuset casserole dishes decades ago with gift vouchers.

They last forever - until you drop them on your ceramic tile floor. :rolleyes:

I too would like a nice, reliable, non-cracking lasagne dish, so will watch for suggestions.

Sorry to hear that, they're so pricey too.

Mine doesn't have to be non-cracking :-)

I do see some stainless steel ones recommended if you want to go that route?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

I use a the lid of a Pyrex chicken roaster. No need to worry about depth :)
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pyrex-136A000-Chicken-Roaster-5-9L/dp/B000KGCO0I/
    £23.52 currently, but they've been down to £10.30 in the last couple of years according to the Camels. £16 looks a realistic target.

Otherwise, there's probably a Pyrex roaster that'll do.

Suitable pottery dishes turn up in both Aldi and Lidl's specials now and then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,892 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Le Creuset also do a pure ceramic range (no cast iron) that's a fraction of the price of the heavy stuff, I have several pieces and it's what I use for lasagna/bakes etc.

Otherwise, any decent sized, deep Pyrex or ovenware will do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Le Creuset also do a pure ceramic range (no cast iron) that's a fraction of the price of the heavy stuff, I have several pieces and it's what I use for lasagna/bakes etc.

In normal times good value in the Le Creuset ship in Kildare village.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

I have a great dish from Ikea for lasagne and shepherd's pie type dishes. Doesn't seem to be on the website to link to it here, but something like these would work:

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/ikea-365-oven-dish-white-90286734/
    https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/mixtur-oven-serving-dish-clear-glass-60058762/

Pyrex would definitely be a great choice.

Dial Hard wrote: »

What's a good size for the dish? I have dishes but none deep enough.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I use a rectangular Pyrex dish for my lasagne. It has a plastic lid which is great because I can cover what's left and leave it in the fridge overnight to set, making it really easy to cut into portions for freezing. The size dish you use depends on how big you want your lasagna to be. I usually make an enormous one.

I really like making things like lasagna and shepherd's pie in glass dishes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I have a hernia from trying to lift a Le Creuset out of the oven lol, only kidding.

What we do now is buy a bunch of disposable foil trays, you can get quite deep ones, check online. Double them up and place on a baking tray. Dump after, job done!

I will be called a philistine but what the heck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

I’ve never understood why the free dolmio dish is not a multiple of the dolmio lasagne sheet size..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭worded

Best value dish is a Pyrex dish in Woodies

You get two with plastic removable lids

https://www.woodies.ie/pyrex-2-piece-cook-freeze-storage-set-1151780?refSrc=47852&nosto=nosto-page-product1

Fantastic value

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I have a hernia from trying to lift a Le Creuset out of the oven lol, only kidding.

What we do now is buy a bunch of disposable foil trays, you can get quite deep ones, check online. Double them up and place on a baking tray. Dump after, job done!

I will be called a philistine but what the heck.

That is needlessly wasteful and to what advantage? Not having to wash a dish?

Why waste one foil container when you can waste two?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I use a shockingly cheap (for the brand) Pyrex roaster I got in The Range; but the irritating thing is the slightly slanted sides meaning that whatever sheet size you use on the bottom layer is going to not touch the sides by the top.

Dishwasher will handle it size-wise and take everything off even if I've left it a tad too long without soaking; ceramic always seems to cause trouble.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I’ve never understood why the free dolmio dish is not a multiple of the dolmio lasagne sheet size..

I gave up on dried lasagna sheets because there's never been a dish to fit them. Now I use Aldi fresh lasagna sheets, they're really cheap and are freezable. It's so much easier cutting fresh pasta than cracking off lumps of dried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I always have to give dried sheets a short blast in water or else they don't cook sufficiently - they're more pliable after that. However I'll definitely give those fresh sheets a go now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Surely any deep pyrex dish will do? I've had one for years, think I got it in Dunnes. It's grand, gets the job done! I'd just go for whatever you can find at a reasonable price. I don't see the advantage to getting a fancy / expensive / name brand one.

woodchuck wrote: »
    Surely any deep pyrex dish will do? I've had one for years, think I got it in Dunnes. It's grand, gets the job done! I'd just go for whatever you can find at a reasonable price. I don't see the advantage to getting a fancy / expensive / name brand one.

You are probably right. Pyrex are super.

I gave up on dried lasagna sheets because there's never been a dish to fit them. Now I use Aldi fresh lasagna sheets, they're really cheap and are freezable. It's so much easier cutting fresh pasta than cracking off lumps of dried.

First time I made Lasagne I used sheets like that I got in M&S. Really super easy to tear to fit. Great taste too I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Ryath

I have these Ikea 365 glass dishes in a few sizes. Very handy as they have lids and stack well inside each other and with lids on. I tend to batch cook meals like lasagne and cottage pie so easier make a big amount. I use smaller dishes too, to make a portion enough for my two kids. Handy to have in the freezer for them when I want to make a dinner for us they won't eat.

Don't find the dried lasagne hard to cut to size just score it with a sharp knife and snap it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

You can bake in those glass dishes yeah, Ryath?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Ryath

Yea they're oven safe.

Advertisement