Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Francis - 24th/25th August 2020

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wild, wet, windy out here. I was writing that 24 hours ago. They have some stamina, these storms.

Still bad here. No post came today of course.. Feels snug being cut off as we are now.

I carefully stuck my head round to the north facing side here; ocean a white fury and grey. No way was I about to try to go further.. lol...

Stay safe out there.

NB the orange warning has been muted to yellow on met.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Rega

Graces7 wrote: »
    Wild, wet, windy out here. I was writing that 24 hours ago. They have some stamina, these storms.

Still bad here. No post came today of course.. Feels snug being cut off as we are now.

I carefully stuck my head round to the north facing side here; ocean a white fury and grey. No way was I about to try to go further.. lol...

Stay safe out there.

NB the orange warning has been muted to yellow on met.ie

Great to see you posting again, Graces7. I was thinking of you during the last storm. Hope you're keeping well.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'm glad I'm not on one of those those Irish Sea ferries, esp the ones heading back to Dublin..... bet that's a bumpy ride :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Recent gust of 51.3 kts in DL.

Still increasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Francis was centred just off the Dublin/Meath coast at 12Z today.

ukmo_nat_fax_2020082512_000.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,417 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

One mm to go to make it the wettest day of the year here (>31mm), seems likely.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

met,ie changed to Yellow Warning a while ago,,

Quietening here. Peacening. Less wind; less rain. Fare well, Francis..

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭SophieLockhart

Is that place in Kerry that got 86mm high up? Also that must exceed the total that occurred down there in late August of 1986.
    Cloone Lake is notorious. It features a couple of times on the extreme records and had the heaviest daily rainfall ever -

https://www.met.ie/climate/weather-extreme-records

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Just Atrocious out there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

I wonder how many more named storms will we have this year. To think it’s not even autumn yet (but it feels like an Irish winter at the moment)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Joanne Donnelly just mentioned the warning for NI still in place , first time I have heard the forecast acknowledge NI warnings which is good to see , Although they didn't show it visually. Officially it's only met.ie that incorporates NI warnings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Wind's picking up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Bit of a damp squib where I am in North kerry.
    Winds up to 40 kmh and lots and lots of rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Met Eireann; Storm Saidhbhin :confused:

How in God's name are people expected to pronounce that? Never mind here, but in Britain too, where it will cause much amusement, for all the wrong reasons...

Expect many TV bloopers :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭OldRio

I see you've posted the same thing in 'After Hours'. That's were it belongs IMHO. (Hamster chops post)
    The grown ups post here.

Are storm names (and the pronunciation of) not important?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

OldRio wrote: »
    I see you've posted the same thing in 'After Hours'. That's were it belongs IMHO. (Hamster chops post)
    The grown ups post here.

Harsh. Discussing the name of a storm is alot more relevant than cats.

Thank you, I expected the flippant answers in After Hours and the more consider replies here....

It is a mouthful of a name, and I just think they might have gone for a more phonetic/ easier to pronounce name, anyway.

Moving on.....
    two storms already (Ellen & Francis) in August!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

It will have to be a busy storm season for it to get that unpronounceable S storm. We would have to suffer 17 natively named storms before we we would get Saibhinn by the 31st August next year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Met Eireann; Storm Saidhbhin :confused:

How in God's name are people expected to pronounce that? Never mind here, but in Britain too, where it will cause much amusement, for all the wrong reasons...

Expect many TV bloopers :-)

Siiveen. The Brits have no bother with the likes of Priti, Mohammed etc. They will just have to learn not to be so ignorant.

• Advertisement

Siiveen. The Brits have no bother with the likes of Priti, Mohammed etc. They will just have to learn not to be so ignorant.

I wasn't necessarily refering to "The Brits", as I think many people here in Ireland will also struggle with that storm, if we ever get to the Ssssss :)

Advertisement