Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Francis - 24th/25th August 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭josip

mind boogling many flow south to north down under and many just flow where ever they please

Ireland-Rivers.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Lashing rain south Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Very heavy now in cork city bouncing off the cars and road

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Wind has picked up a bit here in Waterford. Pishing down all evening

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

josip wrote: »
    Ireland-Rivers.jpg

Thats a great map, but curious as to the thickness of the veins representing some of the rivers. I Identify a particular stream or rivlet that flows north/northeastwards from Urlingford area. It looks huge on that map!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Pouring rain, salt hill Galway city

Danno wrote: »
    Thats a great map, but curious as to the thickness of the veins representing some of the rivers. I Identify a particular stream or rivlet that flows north/northeastwards from Urlingford area. It looks huge on that map!

It's the rivers and their basins. Know the Shannon has a huge basin and catchment area

• Registered Users Posts: 13,612 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

sryanbruen wrote: »
    47.7mm at Valentia according to WOW. Would make a top 3 wettest August day.

51.1mm now and some other numbers:

Dunmanway - 37.9mm
    Roches Point - 35.2mm
    Sherkin Island - 31.7mm
    Killarney - 29.6mm

Unofficial station at Mizen Peninsula recorded 45.7mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭josip

Danno wrote: »

True, this one has more finesse. And you can look at other countries also.

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/river-basins-of-the-island-of-ireland-in-rainbow-colours-grasshopper-geography.html

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Latest rainfall radar 12:35am

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

crazy to think it could still be raining from this system in places this time tomorrow.

This summer could break records for rainfall and lack of sunshine. Absolutely hammering rain here at Dunshaughlin and the land is fairly saturated to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Rain has died down a bit here. Cork city.
    I expect it will start again soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Thats some mess in Bantry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Larbre34 wrote: »

Ah you'd feel very sorry for anyone dealing with flooding. Easily the worst situation there is. Well, maybe an insane forest fire. But here in Ireland, flooding is living nightmare #1.
    My heart goes out to anyone affected by it. Been through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Jesus, that looks bad. There's shops and a chipper on the left there which must be destroyed by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

Wind and rain fairly tipping at it right now on the coast south Dublin. Much windier than I expected, the noise of it roaring through the nearby trees woke me up. Rough night.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

josip wrote: »
    Ireland-Rivers.jpg

Now that would make a glorious embroidery work …. Hmmmmm!

spookwoman wrote: »

"My " old Friday market trading spot is under water. What a disaster for them .

• Advertisement

Good morning,,, Slept well.. Not as windy just now thankfully but reading re Cork. At least they were well forewarned. In times past it would just have arrived with no warning.

And another while of it all yet. It will be daylight soon. Apart from a deep puddle between this place and the gate all will be well here. I will reconnoitre.

Stay safe

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Thepillowman

28mm of rain in East Clare last night total since last Tuesday 129mm. Some very strong gusts woke me at 2.30am. Worst August that I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Graces7 wrote: »
    Good morning,,, Slept well.. Not as windy just now thankfully but reading re Cork. At least they were well forewarned. In times past it would just have arrived with no warning.

And another while of it all yet. It will be daylight soon. Apart from a deep puddle between this place and the gate all will be well here. I will reconnoitre.

Stay safe

Cats all ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

22.7mm since 11pm here in Meath

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Rain has cleared Dublin 16 (for now). Blue sky and quite calm now. Wind/rain woke me up around 4.30am. 19.8mm recorded (so far).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

About half the predicted rainfall fell. Most places saw less than an inch avg 20mm. Far from Orange territory though places like West Cork where rivers were already v high still flooded

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

About half the predicted rainfall fell. Most places saw less than an inch avg 20mm. Far from Orange territory though places like West Cork where rivers were already v high still flooded

There is still the 'return leg' to go....not over yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,663 ✭✭✭Speak Now

45.2mm since it started last night in Waterford city (Mickgers station).

DOCARCH wrote: »
    There is still the 'return leg' to go....not over yet!

Wise words. Any thought of a short walk here has been dismissed by high winds and a sheeting sideways deluge. Chilly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Larbre34 wrote: »

There's a small river that is culverted down from the Library under New Street and the Square into the harbour and I assume that it burst out at the waterwheel. Looks terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ9dTJ7q8QE

Advertisement