Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nastrurtiums withering

Options
  • 22-08-2020 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

hi,

i had blooming nasturtiums a few weeks ago and now they are withering. I have plants in 4 seperate pots and 1 in the ground. They are all withering. What could be the cause of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Is this since the wind of the last couple of days? Because I have a few plants looking like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Have you been feeding them?. They look a bit drained.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Josh2015

They began to wilt a few weeks ago. I have not fed them just watering. After googling i discovered they grow best in poor soil with no fertiliser.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

When the wind changes direction, it Burns and break's the leaves therefore the plant is damaged because it's used to a regular wind direction....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

That's very normal for nasturtiums, the initial burst of flowers have all gone to seed so the plant is putting it's energy into them so no need for leaves anymore.
    You can either leave them to drop the ripe seed (you'll get plenty of seedlings), or cut the plant right back (they'll usually regenerate new growth then).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Josh2015 wrote: »
    hi,

i had blooming nasturtiums a few weeks ago and now they are withering. I have plants in 4 seperate pots and 1 in the ground. They are all withering. What could be the cause of this?

The flowers or the entire plant?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Josh2015

the entire plant is withered.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Just looking at my nasturtiums, a couple of plants that were on sheltered, rich soil grew massive and had a reasonable amount of flowers, and are still fine. Some of the same batch planted on a steep slope with poor soil flowered but have now disappeared. I think its just the nature of the plant, the situation, soil and weather conditions. They do go very scruffy looking once they have finished flowering.

Advertisement