Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda station/Masks

Options
  • 22-08-2020 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭

I have to drop in a renewal form to my local station next week. Should I wear a mask ? Its a small station with a closed hatch where you ring a bell to be seen. Would the Guards rather see a face or a masked individual ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Heckler wrote: »
    I have to drop in a renewal form to my local station next week. Should I wear a mask ? Its a small station with a closed hatch where you ring a bell to be seen. Would the Guards rather see a face or a masked individual ?

Was in similar yesterday
    Worn one .
    No comment either way from Garda

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Registered post to Super is a good option/excuse during CV19.

Also eliminates (reduces) the possibility of applications getting “lost” at front desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,958 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    Registered post to Super is a good option/excuse during CV19.

Also eliminates (reduces) the possibility of applications getting “lost” at front desk.

It'll have to come back down the channels to the FO anyway so won't matter either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

I was handing in the renewal for the shotgun last week, they weren't wearing a mask and neither was i, though i did have one, the torrential rain and winds had it off my face.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Witcher wrote: »
    It'll have to come back down the channels to the FO anyway so won't matter either way.

Having had an application handed in at front desk and subsequently “lost” when I enquired 3 months later, registered post for my next pending application will be the route to go for me anyway as I have proof of delivery (to Super) in absence of front desk willing to provide “receipt” instead of someone telling me “sure sometimes they get lost”.

I appreciate that it goes to FO anyway.

• Advertisement

Having had an application handed in at front desk and subsequently “lost” when I enquired 3 months later, registered post for my next pending application will be the route to go for me anyway as I have proof of delivery (to Super) in absence of front desk willing to provide “receipt” instead of someone telling me “sure sometimes they get lost”.

Our local station was notorious for applications and renewals going MIA. The place was cleared out about 5 years ago and things have been better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Always use mask out also use hand sanitizer after leaving garda. Shower at night put clothes on laundry basket wash when possible. The less time you spend at any indoor building the better. If you have to leave windows open. Eye glasses are also good to stop airborne droplets getting into your eyes learn to stop touching your face that's why gloves are good. Unless you have n95 masks . Other masks only protect you about 30% and no protection if as many people wear below the nose. Avoid churches bars parties.resteraunt Anywhere you will be inside with no airflow even air conditioners spread it as do toilets so always wash your hands soap and water they say if you get covid masks will stop a lot of virus from getting in so you get less sick
    Try taking vitiman d
    Vitiman c does nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Albeit alot of the above advice it being wrong.
    Whatever you feel comfortable with in that situation.Unless there is a mob of people in the reception, yelling and shouting and the doors to the station are closed.Well then call back at a quieter time.Otherwise you are not going to be there long enough to get infected.

As for AGS losing liscense apllications.A quick mention of best "finding it" within 72 hours before you are making a formal complaint to the data protection comission about this careless loss and mishandling of very sensitive personal information in a govt building is investigated can work wonders.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Get name ,rank and superior of the duty garda whom you gave the application to,as well as time and date.You can also ask that this is enterd in the stations duty log.Which it should be anyway.They must give name and rank when asked, and as for entering it in the log ,state that this is a formal matter and you wish for a chain of evidence handling to be established.
    The registerd letter is next to useless anymore and esp with needing the FO to sign for it.Esp with Covid, where we have delivery and postmen signing on ,for and behalf,for deliveries to addresses.Whole point of registerd letters is they must be signed for by the person they are addressed to to establish recivership and delivery.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

Why can't licences be applied for and renewed online ? Why do i have to trek off to the local cop shop when the FO is on duty, or in my case last week, was on duty but "had to go out suddenly".

I also had the experience of going into the public office a few years ago to hand in a renewal, the FO was going through it line by line when i noticed one of the biggest scumbags in the locality was standing there listening to my personal details, he was signing on after being bailed for battering someone. I asked could it not be done in privacy, and got the "ah shure it'll be grand" line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

tudderone wrote: »
    Why can't licences be applied for and renewed online ? Why do i have to trek off to the local cop shop when the FO is on duty, or in my case last week, was on duty but "had to go out suddenly".

I also had the experience of going into the public office a few years ago to hand in a renewal, the FO was going through it line by line when i noticed one of the biggest scumbags in the locality was standing there listening to my personal details, he was signing on after being bailed for battering someone. I asked could it not be done in privacy, and got the "ah shure it'll be grand" line.

This too. I was having my details once repeated back to me with an absolute scummer behind me.

Heckler wrote: »
    This too. I was having my details once repeated back to me with an absolute scummer behind me.

I know someone who complained about this and was he was basically told, well if you want these things in your house thats your look out :rolleyes:.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

tudderone wrote: »
    I know someone who complained about this and was he was basically told, well if you want these things in your house thats your look out :rolleyes:.

Not at all, ask for your license application to be processed in private. If they dont have a private room in the public office ask to be taken to an interview room.

Any vague answers ask to speak to the Sergeant.

No way would I allow my firearm license be processed in a public office full of people waiting to "sign on" as part of their bail conditions, possibly for being caught and charged with breaking into houses and stealing firearms.

Turner wrote: »
    Not at all, ask for your license application to be processed in private. If they dont have a private room in the public office ask to be taken to an interview room.

Any vague answers ask to speak to the Sergeant.

No way would I allow my firearm license be processed in a public office full of people waiting to "sign on" as part of their bail conditions, possibly for being caught and charged with breaking into houses and stealing firearms.

I got the impression it was a "fcuk you and your gun" situation.

That's what the Garda Ombudsman is there for too. Make a complaint if it was a recent event, and state that you felt it was a breach of your rights to confidentiality, and you were made uncomfortable with the whole situation.
    Optional when making the GO complaint to put down you are gay/trans/ foreigner/Bi/Identify with being Thomas the tank engine /Muslim Etc. They will probably pull out all the stops then.:rolleyes:

Advertisement