Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy apple trees?

Options
  • 22-08-2020 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking to get three trees for my garden and was wondering if anyone has some recommendations?
    I've bought from "future forests" before however they don't have the varieties or the root stock I'm looking for in the varieties. Fruit-trees.com does have them but are charging £30 for delivery to Ireland which is a bit steep I feel, though maybe I just need to bit the bullet and then the apples later!

I'm using this article as a basis for my choice, though if anyone has any caveats about this list or perhaps a recommendation which can be Irish sourced all the better.
    Rootstock M9 or M27 (small garden).

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

My view is that for something like an apple tree it is an investment. You are going to select your preferred variety, buy your tree and wait, caring for it in the meantime. You could waste several years buying in a cheap tree from an unreliable source, when if you paid a bit more your wait would be worthwhile. If they have the varieties you want and they have a good reputation then pay a bit more and get something worth investing time in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,759 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Try fruit and nut

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I presume you checked with local garden centers Murphy and Woods, Windyridge etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Quickcrop or Fruit and Nut. IIRC Fruit and Nut it was a €100 minimum order.

looksee wrote: »
    My view is that for something like an apple tree it is an investment. You are going to select your preferred variety, buy your tree and wait, caring for it in the meantime. You could waste several years buying in a cheap tree from an unreliable source, when if you paid a bit more your wait would be worthwhile. If they have the varieties you want and they have a good reputation then pay a bit more and get something worth investing time in.

Absolutely. And there is a lot of poor stock out there. I would always try to physically inspect before buying, but if the seller has a very good reputation, would take a chance on unseen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Bill Hook

Supercell wrote: »
    I'm looking to get three trees for my garden and was wondering if anyone has some recommendations?
    I've bought from "future forests" before however they don't have the varieties or the root stock I'm looking for in the varieties. Fruit-trees.com does have them but are charging £30 for delivery to Ireland which is a bit steep I feel, though maybe I just need to bit the bullet and then the apples later!

I'm using this article as a basis for my choice, though if anyone has any caveats about this list or perhaps a recommendation which can be Irish sourced all the better.
    Rootstock M9 or M27 (small garden).

You could try Irish Seed Savers... https://store.irishseedsavers.ie/Default.asp

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

you need to grow different varieties close to each other to cross pollinate You can’t just have a single apple tree – you need a suitable partner for pollination.  There are three pollination groups:  A, B and C (A being the earliest flowering and C the latest flowering types).  The most unlucky scenario would be to have one of each type and they miss each other.  Two trees of one pollination group that flower around the same time are ideal partners.  Crab apples are perfect pollinators for apples as they flower for a long period of time.
    Do not – under any circumstance - buy Golden Delicious, Gala or Cox’s Orange Pippin trees.  They don’t perform well in Ireland and are very susceptible to scab and need to be sprayed regularly with a fungicide dig a planting hole about 60cm in diameter and about 40cm deep and mix some old garden compost with the existing soil.  The next step is to drive in the stake firmly and then place the tree next to the stake.  Every tree has a pretty face so you should turn it around a few times to see where it looks best.  The stake should be on the side of the prevailing wind.  When you plant make sure that the soil level is like it was in the nursery.  You should never bury the grafting union.  First loosely fill the soil around and make sure it fills all spaces.  Every now and again firm the soil with your heels.  When finished fix a tie near the top of the stake.irish seed savers association co clare sell trees i don't know if the post also protect trunk of tree if you have rabbits as they eat the tree bark and kill the tree

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

I would recommend a good garden centre (Windyridge for me) and seek advice of staff. We are enjoying fruit of lovely appletree now. It took a good 5 or so years to settle down and produce decent apple so be patient. There are apple trees in neighbouring gardens so never a problem with pollinating. Only problem is codling moths get into lower fruit but apple still good to eat as only affect core.

It is a good time now to research but full stock might not be available yet as planting season is from mid October onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks to you all, very helpful and useful advice and suggestions :-)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Bill Hook wrote: »
    You could try Irish Seed Savers... https://store.irishseedsavers.ie/Default.asp
    would second this, you can get some interesting varieties. we have one the sell (or used to sell) called belvedere house, and it's got the most glorious vivid pink flesh. if you juice it, the juice looks like ribena.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

I got great plants and advice from here
    https://www.englishsfruitnursery.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Hi Supercell, I've found future forests to be excellent quality, have you tried contacting them directly for the varieties you are looking for?

If they can't get it for you, then you may need to import it yourself.

On pollination, if you're in an urban area with a lot of gardens with apple trees, I wouldn't worry too much about pollination.... those insects will fly from your neighbours to you. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I can post you loads of seeds (and a few sample apples) for free if you were up for germinating them yourself. We have a delicious variety of apple growing. Not sure what they're called but we eat them, use them in baking, preserve them and make cider.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

problem with seeds is that you cannot be sure what sort of apples will grow from them, plus the OP mentioned they're looking for small garden rootstock so growing from seed won't suit them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

I got great plants and advice from here
    https://www.englishsfruitnursery.ie/

That's great!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

s1ippy wrote: »
    I can post you loads of seeds (and a few sample apples) for free if you were up for germinating them yourself. We have a delicious variety of apple growing. Not sure what they're called but we eat them, use them in baking, preserve them and make cider.

Thanks , that's very kind of you :), its a small suburban garden and I'd love the idea of growing from seeds to see what apples I get, the root stock wouldn't be suitable unfortunately, but that was very kind to offer!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Flipperdipper

Contact : Irish Seed Savers Association, Capparoe, Scarriff, Co. Clare, Ireland Phone: +353 61 921866 They have loads of different varieties and will advise you on the best type for your area and conditions. An apple that grows well in Wexford might not be suitable for Mayo and one that thrives in Antrim could struggle in Offaly.

Advertisement