Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed loss

• 22-08-2020 8:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Scratching my head with this one all day and cannot find a solution.:confused:

My setup is - Mobile broadband via Huawei B535 router>CAT 5E cable to Tp-Link AC5400 router as an AP, lan to lan, approximately 5 meters.

No devices connected to Huawei Router and all connected to TP-Link.

Speed at Huawei both wireless & wired is 100Mb - one device connected for test.
    Speed at Tp-Link both wireless & wired is 30Mb -one device connected for test.(Test carried out with various devices)

I've ran two additional CAT 5E cables to test cable damage, but results are the same.

IP of Huawei 192.168.2.1
    IP of Tp-Link 192.168.2.2
    So no clash in IP's.

DHCP also disabled for Tp-Link.

Can anyone please advise as to why I might be getting such an enormous loss in speeds for such a small distance of cable? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Hmmm
    more tests, transfer ~1-4GB file on LAN:
    1. PC>>Huawei>>TP>>PC
    2. PC>>TP>>PC
    3. PC>>Huawei>>PC

What you get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

Hmmm
    more tests, transfer ~1-4GB file on LAN:
    1. PC>>Huawei>>TP>>PC
    2. PC>>TP>>PC
    3. PC>>Huawei>>PC

What you get?

Seems to be an issue with the Huawei router I think. I done an additional speedtest this morning with a 5 meter length of CAT 5E from the Huawei and the speeds are only 30Mb. I tested again with the initial 1 Meter CAT 5 cable and the speeds were back at 100Mb.

Very strange. Not sure if I should purchase some CAT 6 and see if it helps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

tiny timy wrote: »
    Seems to be an issue with the Huawei router I think. I done an additional speedtest this morning with a 5 meter length of CAT 5E from the Huawei and the speeds are only 30Mb. I tested again with the initial 1 Meter CAT 5 cable and the speeds were back at 100Mb.

Very strange. Not sure if I should purchase some CAT 6 and see if it helps?

Buy a 5 port switch. Place it under the 535. Run a 20cm patch to it, then do your long run to the TP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Have you firmware updated the Tp-Link AC5400 as the latest version fixes known performance issues.

ED E wrote: »
    Buy a 5 port switch. Place it under the 535. Run a 20cm patch to it, then do your long run to the TP.

Tried that just now and even tried high priority qos to the tp but actually ended up losing 10Mb.

• Advertisement

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Have you firmware updated the Tp-Link AC5400 as the latest version fixes known performance issues.

Yes, it's on latest firmware, but i think the problem is with the actual output from the Huawei lan ports at this stage

Are we trying to resolve LAN side issue or are you checking internet speed that is prone for fluctuation by design?

Are we trying to resolve LAN side issue or are you checking internet speed that is prone for fluctuation by design?

It's a lan issue from Huawei router as far as i can now tell because wireless speeds are consistent but never rise above 30mb when wired with anything longer than a 2 meter cable.

tiny timy wrote: »
    It's a lan issue from Huawei router as far as i can now tell because wireless speeds are consistent but never rise above 30mb when wired with anything longer than a 2 meter cable.
    For troubleshooting LAN i would suggest to do local file transfer, not speedtest

If this would be case, then Ed's suggestion would resolve it as local traffic would only go through switch.
    If you had some configs modified on Huawei and/or TP you might consider reset them to factory defaults and see if issue goes away. Export config file if avail prior reset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

maybe auto/auto negotiation is not working so try hard code both uplink ports to 100/Full Duplex?

• Advertisement

BailMeOut wrote: »
    maybe auto/auto negotiation is not working so try hard code both uplink ports to 100/Full Duplex?

Yeah i was looking for duplex settings on the Huawei, but i cannot find any!

Advertisement