Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living beside a pedestrian crossing / main road

Options
  • 22-08-2020 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

I’ve viewed two houses recently on (relatively) busy roads. One of them is right next to traffic lights.

Curious to know whether people would consider this as a dealbreaker? Also, do pedestrian crossings beep through the night?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Will the lights effect your sleeping arrangements?
    People gathering?
    Possible anti social as kids tend to break the lights.

I’m probably over thinking it but those would be my concerns.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

living next to main road you get cancer causing petrol and carbon monoxide also how many cars drive along it at night jow high is the wall so some one cant climb it and break in has it double glazing to keep out noise and good curtains to keep out light.will the road get wider ri allow more traffic in a few years some people lose half the garden also if you have children will they run out in road i take it your renting if buying in future it will be harder to sell

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep 24/7

And that was across the other side of the Liffey and three floors down!

Add to this emergency services will tend to sound the sirens as they break red lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,782 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It's Plip not Beep on modern crossings I'll have you know!

Here you can't open the windows in the front bedrooms at night unless you can filter that out basically

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭guitarhappy

The worst is when they're stopped at a red light then gun the gas when the light turns green. Especially if it's a little bit of a hill, and if there would be bus and truck traffic which can make your windows rattle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭shatners bassoon

I'm not surprised by the responses!

I think I could feasibly get used to traffic noise but the pedestrian crossing would drive me crazy if it was going through the night. I'm intrigued to see what it sells for. It's a beautiful house and the viewings have been insanely busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I'm not surprised by the responses!

I think I could feasibly get used to traffic noise but the pedestrian crossing would drive me crazy if it was going through the night. I'm intrigued to see what it sells for. It's a beautiful house and the viewings have been insanely busy.

Beeping goes all night and will ruin your sleep and peace - Avoid like the plague. Ex colleague rented one two floors up from one - they were on the police delinquent adult watch list for repeatedly getting up and wrapping pillows around it with ducktape - drove them totally insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 muzim

There's a set of lights outside my place and they've never beeped up until this week. Any particular reason why they would suddenly change the setup? Beeps all day and night now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

LOL just seen the OPs username.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Clazbeag

I used to live in a house close to a traffic light. If you sleep with your curtains open, and windows open during summer, it can take a bit of getting used to the glow in your room but it was fine after a week or two.

• Advertisement
Advertisement