Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I am discontinuing sky. Andy suggestions?

• 22-08-2020 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Cancelled sky. Soo many options for alternatives. Any suggestions? I’d like sport channels,Rt1,channel4 Fox News Any help would b appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭ForestFire

kittyIE wrote: »
    Cancelled sky. Soo many options for alternatives. Any suggestions? I’d like sport channels,Rt1,channel4 Fox News Any help would b appreciated

Your bonkers.................ie

Although I prefer switcher.ie myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭Delta2113

You want Fox News - oh dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Furasta

Delta2113 wrote: »
    You want Fox News - oh dear.

And RT lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Why did you cancel Sky Kitty? Was it value for money or issues with the service?
    Eir had a fairly cheap deal with brroadband for a while, but performance can be hit and miss, I found it great in Dublin, my sister out the country found it awful and moved to Sky. I guess it's the same for any ISP, some areas have poor performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Why did you cancel Sky Kitty? Was it value for money or issues with the service?
    Eir had a fairly cheap deal with brroadband for a while, but performance can be hit and miss, I found it great in Dublin, my sister out the country found it awful and moved to Sky. I guess it's the same for any ISP, some areas have poor performance.

I was looking at this. Think it's 39 a month for broadband and TV with eir. I was paying 33 a month for sky and currently paying 55 a month for Vodafone Siro. The broadband speed is fine, but connection drops fairly regularly, only briefly but enough to disrupt video calls or screenshare at work.

Have Netflix subscription which is my Sky now. Was all getting a bit expensive. So the Eir deal sounds good, I'd save on broadband cost plus get TV. I'm in Limerick City, wonder will it work. Do you know if the Eir needs a phone line, if it does its probably slow speeds? Siro is through my electricity box.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

We might confine responses to offering assistance to the OP rather than questioning her choice of viewing

I was looking at this. Think it's 39 a month for broadband and TV with eir. I was paying 33 a month for sky and currently paying 55 a month for Vodafone Siro. The broadband speed is fine, but connection drops fairly regularly, only briefly but enough to disrupt video calls or screenshare at work.

Have Netflix subscription which is my Sky now. Was all getting a bit expensive. So the Eir deal sounds good, I'd save on broadband cost plus get TV. I'm in Limerick City, wonder will it work. Do you know if the Eir needs a phone line, if it does its probably slow speeds? Siro is through my electricity box.

Eir deal did include Amazon Prime free for a year which has some decent content, more old stuff than Netflix but still a few great new series too. Not sure if that deal is still on, see if anyone on your street / road has Eir and if it is fast and reliable. If it's ca-ca doesn't matter how cheap it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kennedmc

How did you cancel Sky? Rang up this morning and they said it was over a 1 hour wait.

I then filled in some cancellation online form but not sure where that will go....

kennedmc wrote: »
    How did you cancel Sky? Rang up this morning and they said it was over a 1 hour wait.

I then filled in some cancellation online form but not sure where that will go....
    If you are out of contract just move to another provider they cancel it for you.
    Who are you moving to? Or just cancelling for now?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Which Sky Box / LNB do you have ?

Freesat box will give you https://www.freesat.co.uk/whats/full-channel-list/ out of the box
    Linux box if you want to tweak

Cancelled sky. Soo many options for alternatives. Any suggestions?
    I’d like sport channels, - good luck on that depending on what you deem essential
    Rt1, - RT HD on Freesat
    channel4 - yes - add the HD through other channels
    Fox News - just watch CNN in opposites mode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

We have Saorview (aerial required)
    Have Saorview channels on the TV and on a Walker Saorview Combi Box

Walker Saorview Combi Box (will work with your satellite dish and Aerial)
    Has all the channels we need and more
    Saorview channels
    Free to Air Satellite Channels (hundreds of channels bbc, itv, C4, C5 etc)
    We added a Hard drive to the Combi for recording
    If the box is recording, we can watch other Saorview channels on the TV. as the box only allows you watch what you record, so easy to have the channels on TV as well.
    You can record and watch a recording at the same time on the Combi
    It's easy to use

We have a Netflix account

Sport
    Eurosport Player account for sport
    Eurosport was 20 Euro for the year, we got a special, think it's usually 40 for the year otherwise.

Lots of football highlights are on BBC 1 HD
    Quest HD shows English Championship highlights.
    Saorview channels also have loads of sports
    RTE, Virgin media and TG4

Also have a Channel called Freesports HD on satellite, shows lots of sports

We don't get Fox news on satellite, but every other news channel I can think of is free.

You can watch some Fox news apps on the phone if you really want it and cast to your TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Clitheroekid

S4C BBC ALBA ,BBC Scotland and BBCone Scotland also show live and recorded football

Advertisement