Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most beautiful churches in Carlow (town and county)

Options
  • 22-08-2020 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

Some of the churches around the locality are magnificent.

I'm a big fan of the older churches, especially the neo-gothic ones. Carlow Cathedral has some nice features - I love the statue of JKL comforting a saddened Erin (represented by a young woman carrying a harp). Can be a very prayerful spot too if tourists or cleaners are not milling abound.

I also love the church in Rathoe. It has that somewhat darkish, sober feel to it - again, a neo-gothic. Lovely stained glass windows and old confession box with beautiful timber work. Great place for some quiet prayer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

The Lorum church outside Bagnelstown has always impressed me. Lovely building.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The little Adelaide Memorial church in Myshall is beautiful.

https://www.gloine.ie/search/building/3027/myshall

The cathedral in Old Leighin is worth your fltime to visit.
    http://www.megalithicireland.com/St Laserian's Cathedral, Old Leighlin.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Newtown church. Lovely plasterwork on the ceiling. Not overly modernised like other churches.

Drumphea church and graveyard, a very serene place with the surrounding hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

As an aside/little add on I occasionally meet tourists in the cathedral & have on more than one occasion pointed out how the new alter & it's backdrop cover over the magnificent stained glass windows since the renovations in the 90s.

Sacristan out the back often comes out & tells visitors who want to see the window in all its glory they're not allowed go around the back of structure; missed opportunity for sure.

At the back are things like a Holy Thursday cross/crucifix for example but nothing that any responsible visitor is going to interfere with.

The window can be appreciated from inside better than from the back of the cathedral in Penny Lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭batman75

The Adelaide Memorial Church in Myshall is a stunning piece of architecture.

• Advertisement
Advertisement