Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXII-30,360 in ROI(1,781 deaths) 8,035 in NI (568 deaths)(10/09)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

Why has Kildare had so many more Covid cases than Laois or Offaly?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Three factories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Why has it more cases that any other county is the question. Laois and Offaly doing fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Don’t we all have a ‘vested interest’ in getting back to normal or are you secretly enjoying all this drama?

The fact that my business is on its knees somehow discounts my opinion? Am I not worthy in your eyes? You think you are morally superior to me? How smug of you. You think I deserve to lose my livelihood and possibly my home?

It’s not ‘people taking precautions to not catch a novel virus’ that’s killing my business, it’s the inconsistent, illogical, ill defined and ambiguous directives from Government. We can work with directives as long as they are logical and applicable.

The doctor I called a ‘bastard’ publicly called for all the attendees of that golf function to not only lose their jobs but also to never work in public life again. Think about that.

Sneering at someone who is suffering a really stressful time because of this situation ‘must be very cathartic’.

My apologies. I should have said conflict of interest as opposed to vested interest.
    It would be like having a president that owns a load of hotels and golf resorts making public health decisions.

Wouldn't end well for us.

Nobody has a fvcking right to make a living.
    You provide a service at a profit and it was probably a good service.
    That service is diametrically opposed to public health measures right now.
    Public health trumps your own personal financial health right now.
    That's a **** sandwich. I'd be angry too.

I'm not smug and I'm not morally superior.

I'm pointing out a clear conflict of interest. You are entitled to comment though.
    Calling people hysteric because they've lost loved ones or have been seriously ill,
    worried that a loved one could become ill if their immune system is suppressed is not hysteric.

Take your anger out on your elected representative.
    Vested interests are usually par for the course with those guys and girls.
    You are entitled to call doctors bastards but it's not nice and I don't agree with it.
    A conflict of interest (COI) is a situation in which a person or organization is involved in multiple interests, financial or otherwise, and serving one interest could involve working against another. Typically, this relates to situations in which the personal interest of an individual or organization might adversely affect a duty owed to make decisions for the benefit of a third party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭nw1dqsv7amx026

My apologies. I should have said conflict of interest as opposed to vested interest.
    It would be like having a president that owns a load of hotels and golf resorts making public health decisions.

Wouldn't end well for us.

Nobody has a fvcking right to make a living.
    You provide a service at a profit and it was probably a good service.
    That service is diametrically opposed to public health measures right now.
    Public health trumps your own personal financial health right now.
    That's a **** sandwich. I'd be angry too.

I'm not smug and I'm not morally superior.

I'm pointing out a clear conflict of interest. You are entitled to comment though.
    Calling people hysteric because they've lost loved ones or have been seriously ill,
    worried that a loved one could become ill if their immune system is suppressed is not hysteric.

Take your anger out on your elected representative.
    Vested interests are usually par for the course with those guys and girls.
    You are entitled to call doctors bastards but it's not nice and I don't agree with it.

This is a rambling post. I think you should try some precision.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

plodder wrote: »
    I was looking for these stats before. It's a pity they aren't published by the government (in this accessible form). It does show that while cases are rising, it's not quite the sudden explosion that some would have you believe, and certainly not justification for any knee-jerk reactions.

What like enhanced restrictions in three counties? It's pretty drastic and reactionary but it might have helped? Do you think that might have helped prevent the fact that there was no explosion?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Do we see any denotifications these days? Don’t see them reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭spookwoman

PopTarts wrote: »

They are reported on Gov.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭plodder

What like enhanced restrictions in three counties? It's pretty drastic and reactionary but it might have helped? Do you think that might have helped prevent the fact that there was no explosion?
    I was thinking more about a Dublin lockdown or a general lockdown as some are advocating, to get to zero cases.

I don't know whether the three county restrictions have had much effect. If they have then fair enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

How can they say that kids are getting covid from home and school has no risk?

It's a virus, it doesn't know age or numbers so I'm not believing that kids can't spread this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Northern Ireland reported 119 new cases today, that's the largest single day increase since the end of April (with the exception of backdated cases being added in on a single day in June).

PopTarts wrote: »

Check the numbers thread, there is a link to it in the op of this thread. All denotifications of deaths and cases are shown there

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

speckle wrote: »
    Info on the theory follows... question it.. pull it apart... but at least listen to the discussion

https://www.microbe.tv/twiv/twiv-640/

start video at 6.30 to get to testing part its the next 45 mins but listen to the first 10mins at least

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....22.20136309v2

pre print article referred too/above link not working

Edit:https://www.medrxiv.org/search/michael%252Bmina
    choose: Test sensitivity is secondary to frequency and turnaround time for COVID-19 surveillance

Hope this posts correctly.

Important possible advantage to these tests is: less exposure for medical staff and they could be done fast in house in nursing homes, or at home or by travel to a testing center/gp/hospital for the rest of us. Even do it at the door of the out patients.

Friend undergoing surgery recently in CUH had outpatients/ prep appointment and then was sent all the way across town via public transport/buses to another place for a covid pcr test and then back to the hospital... crazy

Thanks .
    First link worked , 2nd didn't, third abstract of research for first .

Watched most of the first link until it went to discussing FDA etc . Would be good for people testing at home before going to work or kids going to school and picks up at most transmissible phase according to M. Mina, Harvard .
    Patients undergoing surgery/ before admission would still have to be screened using PCR testing , as there is zero tolerance for people with the infection in hospital, and all are isolated, or just not admitted, until a negative result is returned, quite rightly .
    It is not worth the risk in that situation .
    However for screening out possible asymptomatic transmission in the community there may be a role ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

It's a virus, it doesn't know age or numbers so I'm not believing that kids can't spread this.

I don't believe anyone is saying school has no risk.
    There's risk associated with everything and all the measures being introduced are to reduce risk.

On knowing where kids are getting infected, I dunno, maybe when they started opening schools in countries, any cases popping up, maybe when a kid tested positive, they test their parents and find parents were positive, then they can track the genome of each one and see where it was spreading.
    There's far more educated people out there advising people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Exactly this.

Lots of posters try that bull**** route of anyone who dares question the spin from NPHET is a sociopath granny killer looking for inheritance etc.

Bullies if you ask me
    I'd be interested to see at least one example of that, if you can provide it.

If children are being detected with the virus, and other kids in the schools have not tested positive, but people in their homes have, that’s how they know they are getting it a home. And most kids, in Ireland at least, who are testing positive are household contacts of confirmed cases

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

After saying he hadn't been in Kildare.

The gift that keeps on giving

https://twitter.com/Philip_Ryan/status/1297630629513900032?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

100 children contracted the virus over the past 2 weeks in Ireland. It said on the news, there's no evidence of spread in schools. Do the authorities take us for fools? Of course there's no evidence of spread in Irish schools. They have been closed since March. They say children are more likely to catch the virus at home rather than school. How does the virus know the difference between a home and classroom environment? Is it the same way the virus knows the difference between a pint and a dinner plate?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Polar101

After saying he hadn't been in Kildare.

The gift that keeps on giving

Tomorrow he'll release a statement that he is very very very sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Someone from a household in Kildare goes to stay in a household in Leitrim.

After a week, they test the household in Leitrim, and only the person from Kildare has it.

They test the household in Kildare, some of them have it.

Conclusion - the virus can't be spread In Leitrim.

I'll wait another week or two before believing schools are safe.

Statement from the UK Chief Medical Officers on schools and childcare reopening

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/statement-from-the-uk-chief-medical-officers-on-schools-and-childcare-reopening

If this was released by our CMO would you give it a moment's consideration?

While it is interesting to see what the crowd at the other side of the pond are saying , parents and teachers there are just as fearful of outbreaks as parents and teachers here , regardless of the spin.

I know people working in secondary schools over there who have been preparing for weeks . Their brief from the DOE was far more prescriptive than our minimal guidance
    from Norma Foley here , and they are still not sure how it will work .

This speech was like a Winston Churchill "we'll fight them on the beaches " speech !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Ficheall wrote: »

After a week, they test the household in Leitrim, and only the person from Kildare has it.

Sure don't ya know nothing ever happens in Leitrim.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,328 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Goldengirl wrote: »

This speech was like a Winston Churchill "we'll fight them on the beaches " speech !

Winston unfortunately and his speech though is 100% redundant now in this situation. You just can’t fight what you cannot see. It’s an invisible enemy.

Only real way to fight is to remain disciplined, sacrifice and keep going.

Ficheall wrote: »

Cases will happen in schools, just like any other area of society. The way people discuss it however you would think it seeps out of the schools walls

spookwoman wrote: »
    Transmission weeks totals Percentage missing for last 2 days due to gov.ie 2 days behind
    Date|Community|%|%Inc|Close Contact|%|%Inc|Travel%|Unknown
    03/08/2020|5|31.4%|-|32|66%|-|2.5%|–
    04/08/2020|4|31.4%|-|31|66%|-|2.5%|–
    05/08/2020|4|31.2%|-.2%|42|66.2%|+.2%|2.5%|–
    06/08/2020|2|31.1%|-.1%|39|66.3%|+.1%|2.5%|–
    07/08/2020|4|30.9%|-.1%|67|66.4%|+.1%|2.5%|–
    08/08/2020|5|30.9%|-|112|66.4%|-|2.5%|–
    09/08/2020|2|30.7%|-.2%|41|66.6%|+.2%|2.5%|–
    Totals|26|||364
    10/08/2020|8|30.5%|-.2%|31|66.9%|+.3%|2.5%|–
    11/08/2020|5|30.5%|-|24|66.9%|-|2.5%|–
    12/08/2020|13|30.6%|+.1%|19|66.9%|-%|2.5%|–
    13/08/2020|12|30.6%|-|43|66.8%|-.1%|2.5%|–
    14/08/2020|16|31.0%|+.4%|38|67%|+.2%|2.5%|–
    15/08/2020|25|30.7%|-.3%|68|66.5%|-.5%|2.4%|–
    16/08/2020|3|30.6%|-.1%|12|66.5%|-%|2.4%|–
    Totals|82|||235
    17/08/2020|12|30.4%|-.2%|35|66.7%|+.2%|2.5%|–
    18/08/2020|14|30.3%|-.1%|75|66.9%|.2%|2.5%|–
    19/08/2020|8|30.4%|+.1%|27|66.6%|-.3%|2.5%|–
    20/08/2020|11|30.5%|+.1%|57|66.6%|-|2.5%|–
    21/08/2020|21|30.7%|+.2%|30|66.3%|-.3%|2.5%|–
    22/08/2020|15|||68|||2.4%|–
    23/08/2020|16|||23|||2.4%|.7%
    Totals|97|||315

Ah but the cases are going down, levelling out , nothing to worry about !)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

HSE Daily Operations Update
    28 in hospital, increase of 8.
    5 confirmed cases in hospitals today (Letterkenny x2, Temple Street, Naas and UHL) (These are cases that were tested in hospitals)
    6 in ICU, no change.
    2 ventilated, decrease of 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

HSE Daily Operations Update
    28 in hospital, increase of 8.
    5 confirmed cases in hospitals today (Letterkenny x2, Temple Street, Naas and UHL) (These are cases that were tested in hospitals)
    6 in ICU, no change.
    2 ventilated, decrease of 1.

Those cases tested in hospitals,would these be patients in for other procedures and would have to have a mandatory test and some of them might actually be asymptomatic?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Those cases tested in hospitals,would these be patients in for other procedures and would have to have a mandatory test and some of them might actually be asymptomatic?
    Likely in for other issues yes and may be asymptomatic yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

owlbethere wrote: »
    They have been closed since March. They say children are more likely to catch the virus at home rather than school. How does the virus know the difference between a home and classroom

Do you ever listen to the scientific evidence?

Let me break it down

Adults live at home.
    Adults more efficient transmitters of Covid.
    Homes rarely, if ever, have proper controls in place.
    As an adult I hug and kiss my kids all the time. Teachers don't.

QED. Homes a better environment for virus to transmit than a school.

If children are being detected with the virus, and other kids in the schools have not tested positive, but people in their homes have, that’s how they know they are getting it a home. And most kids, in Ireland at least, who are testing positive are household contacts of confirmed cases

Yes.
    But in fairness if you listened to that report of Phillip Nolan's statement , it was very strange.
    Of course no children have caught it from school as schools have been closed .
    We won't know if this hypothesis ( as that is all it us , of yet no proof) is correct until children go back to school and are back a few weeks .

• Advertisement

owlbethere wrote: »
    100 children contracted the virus over the past 2 weeks in Ireland. It said on the news, there's no evidence of spread in schools. Do the authorities take us for fools? Of course there's no evidence of spread in Irish schools. They have been closed since March. They say children are more likely to catch the virus at home rather than school. How does the virus know the difference between a home and classroom environment? Is it the same way the virus knows the difference between a pint and a dinner plate?

Haha exactly , just posted similar above without the crockery :)

Teenagers are definitely spreading it to each other.
    Reckon the smallies will be too when they are coughing and sneezing and hugging their friends .
    They spread everything else why would this be different ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement