Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXII-30,360 in ROI(1,781 deaths) 8,035 in NI (568 deaths)(10/09)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

FDA have fast tracked plasma treatment for sick people in the US, there seeing a 35% reduction in case mortality rate.
    https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-announces-emergency-authorization-of-breakthrough-coronavirus-treatment

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Cases will happen in schools, just like any other area of society. The way people discuss it however you would think it seeps out of the schools walls
    Agreed - cases will happen in schools, just like any other area of society. But the way some other people discuss it, you would think the risk of transmission was lower than elsewhere...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

FDA have fast tracked plasma treatment for sick people in the US, there seeing a 35% reduction in case mortality rate.
    https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-announces-emergency-authorization-of-breakthrough-coronavirus-treatment

Good news that treatments are really helping bring down morality rate.

Yes, mortality rate is dropping.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Ficheall wrote: »
    Agreed - cases will happen in schools, just like any other area of society. But the way some other people discuss it, you would think the risk of transmission was lower than elsewhere...

Not sure what articles you are reading

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Ficheall wrote: »

Lower than the home or meat factories. Yes of course. The vast vast majority of cases have come from these settings for 4 weeks now. Not offices, buses, restaurants, parks, shops etc.
    Schools are risky but like so many other settings pose less risk than homes and meat factories.

• Advertisement

Good news that treatments are really helping bring down morality rate.

Yes, mortality rate is dropping.

Great for them, I don't recall our overlords looking for plasma yet the Yanks haven been running a nationwide campaign to collect it from anyone that caught covid since April.
    We're pissing around ordering magic beans from Oxford thinking we've won the lottery. No doubt the Irish media won't mention any of this to the general public to spark the debate with NPHET about collecting plasma as orange man can only be bad.

14104_ASPA_Plasma-Donation_Fauci_1080x1080.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

A couple of days ago from Spain , interesting view from a doctor in a Spainish hospital being interviewed on TV while we are hearing case numbers go up there what it is like on the ground. Some beauties paraphrasing one... if you can drive to be tested how sick are you.... covid positive cases go up the more you test but this doesn't necessarily mean more people in hospital. .. where where you during the pandemic in a tv studio... etc subtitled

Lesson always look behind the media hype or numbers trotted out by officials... Ask for more detailed break down of cases...look at ICU stats etc... Don't take my words either look yourself always

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Apparently Devitts in Camden Street was packed to the rafters last night , as was parts of George's St , and the guards were just driving on by !

I was there for a while and then the lower deck, both were packed. I ended with a few local pints in harolds cross and that pub was absolutely wedged

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

My wife is a doctor in covid wards in a Dublin hospital. Her understanding is that when numbers increase of people admitted to hospital in these updates. They are people in specifically with symptoms related to covid. And not people already in hospital or in for other procedures and tested positive. I didn't follow what she was saying exactly, but how they record things she said it doesn't make sense to her for it to be someone in for something else who tested positive. The numbers for her hospital always matched up and they were an admittance with covid symptoms. Also not everyone is tested upon entering a hospital. Some are. Some refuse. But the ones that are tested, do count towards a suspected case that the media like to use to imply there are loads of cases in hospitals. Even if they have zero covid symotoms and were in for something else. They are a suspected case as part of reporting.

My wife is a doctor in covid wards in a Dublin hospital. Her understanding is that when numbers increase of people admitted to hospital in these updates. They are people in specifically with symptoms related to covid. And not people already in hospital or in for other procedures and tested positive. I didn't follow what she was saying exactly, but how they record things she said it doesn't make sense to her for it to be someone in for something else who tested positive. The numbers for her hospital always matched up and they were an admittance with covid symptoms. Also not everyone is tested upon entering a hospital. Some are. Some refuse. But the ones that are tested, do count towards a suspected case that the media like to use to imply there are loads of cases in hospitals. Even if they have zero covid symotoms and were in for something else. They are a suspected case as part of reporting.
    Might your wife be able to shed some light on Cuh, as I said a friend going in for surgery had pre admittamce outpatient apointment then sent on public transport x 2 buses to another place to get covid pcr test and then back for the surgery seems crazy to me?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Not sure what articles you are reading
    So you acknowledge that schools are a place where there will likely be higher transmission?

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1297538480571129857?s=20

Tell Philip Nolan, the "numbers guy" because he said children won't catch or spread it in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

s1ippy wrote: »
    Tell Philip Nolan, the "numbers guy" because he said children won't catch or spread it in school.

We'll find out very soon - soon as a couple of schools starting reporting cases the teachers will be straight out on strike sick

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

So you acknowledge that schools are a place where there will likely be higher transmission?

Of course a bought and paid for scientific "opinion" could never occurr on this fair, green and flawless Isle...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

What are ya on about? The confirmed cases column on the daily report refers to test results done through hospitals, from people who are likely in for different reasons. Admissions for people who are already COVID positive aren't pointed out, they're just added.

That is a very aggressive post , what's the matter ?
    I am saying those patients would not be in hospital unless they are ill especially if they have Covid .
    I am quite aware they might be in for other reasons and are being tested .
    This is going around in circles . Move on .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,222 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Great for them, I don't recall our overlords looking for plasma yet the Yanks haven been running a nationwide campaign to collect it from anyone that caught covid since April.
    We're pissing around ordering magic beans from Oxford thinking we've won the lottery. No doubt the Irish media won't mention any of this to the general public to spark the debate with NPHET about collecting plasma as orange man can only be bad.

The Sunday Business Post had a piece around a month ago about the Irish Blood Transfusion Service looking at convalescent plasma to treat Covid-19. Not sure why you mentioned orange man Trump. Convalescent plasma is being used in many countries and has been around for decades as a treatment for other diseases etc. It has absolutely nothing to do with Trump.

Likely in for other issues yes and may be asymptomatic yes

This.
    You don't know this is the case so why say it ?

As every patient is tested for Covid on entering a hospital for a procedure it is an absolute certainty that some will test positive.

Yes it certainly is

Nothing really I imagine, only thats its a small number overall

Going from 20 yesterday to 28 today is not a small increase .

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The Sunday Business Post had a piece around a month ago about the Irish Blood Transfusion Service looking at convalescent plasma to treat Covid-19. Not sure why you mentioned orange man Trump. Convalescent plasma is being used in many countries and has been around for decades as a treatment for other diseases etc. It has absolutely nothing to do with Trump.

He was flipping out by with the FDA then suddenly we have this announcement they have granted emergency approval for it. Trump has definitely used influence there. Your reaction is exactly why we will hear nothing about this news here, people can't stomach when he does anything positive.

I understand it's been used on multiple diseases but is it approved here in Ireland for Covid 19 or do we need to go through regulator approval, any idea how long that will take under MM & Leo? 4/7 years I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Just to be clear, he never said children won't catch it in schools. He actually said:
    Speaking on RTÉ's This Week programme, he said there will be Covid-19 clusters in schools, but it is likely such cases will have been contracted at home, rather than in schools themselves.

• Advertisement

Discharges rarely happen at the weekend so let's follow it over the next few days

Discharges happen every weekend ...there are rounds specifically to discharge patients every Saturday and Sunday morning .

Re convalesent plasma

They have taken their time

Media in Ireland mention it being used where the virus started in February

then we had in April that they were going to get the ITBS on board

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/irish-patients-to-be-involved-in-trials-for-covid-19-drug-treatments-1.4240365

Eventually now in August
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-40028021.html

I will add someone I knew rang and asked to donate over a week ago , they said a doctor would ring back to see if they could no call yet
    I think Northern Ireland has a form online already

Edit lst link irish paper but its the uk nhs up and running trails with it eyes tired apologies

Hasn't this been trialled and used by a good few countries already, first in China and a lot of Europe including here
    https://europeanbloodalliance.eu/activities/convalescent-plasma-cpp/

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/irish-patients-to-be-involved-in-trials-for-covid-19-drug-treatments-1.4240365?mode=ample

• Registered Users Posts: 86,256 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

After saying he hadn't been in Kildare.

The gift that keeps on giving

https://twitter.com/Philip_Ryan/status/1297630629513900032?s=19
    Polar101 wrote: »
    Tomorrow he'll release a statement that he is very very very sorry.

Again :rolleyes: Hogan needs to go but he is too arrogant and stubborn so hope Brussells sacks him

Lower than the home or meat factories. Yes of course. The vast vast majority of cases have come from these settings for 4 weeks now. Not offices, buses, restaurants, parks, shops etc.
    Schools are risky but like so many other settings pose less risk than homes and meat factories.

You can't put homes and meat factories on the same risk level .

Most homes are not a risk , unless the parents or children are behaving in a manner to cause them to be , like having loads of people over regularly or partying and not following any of the rules. Homes are only a risk if one member gets sick.

He was flipping out by with the FDA then suddenly we have this announcement they have granted emergency approval for it. Trump has definitely used influence there. Your reaction is exactly why we will hear nothing about this news here, people can't stomach when he does anything positive.

I understand it's been used on multiple diseases but is it approved here in Ireland for Covid 19 or do we need to go through regulator approval, any idea how long that will take under MM & Leo? 4/7 years I'd imagine.
    We started trialing plasma with patients here back in April. The transfusion services are planning to collect to prepare for the event of a second wave.

https://www.businesspost.ie/health/blood-plasma-may-be-collected-from-covid-19-convalescents-d555782d

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Just remember the FDA approved (possible under Trumps pressure) Hydroxychloroquine under emergency approval as a treatment. A drug used on other diseases. So Trump pushing it and a link posted from foxnews.... I'll take it with a grain of salt.

In fairness though using plasma is nothing new. Why it took people/countries nearly half a year to approve it, I'm not sure. The EU has been giving grants back in late July to fund it, so maybe it's coming here soon.

Thus would be a very expensive and highly specialized treatment reserved for those in ICU , or severely ill , not for the general public

• Registered Users Posts: 18,222 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I just said it's already been in the media here. Christ on a bike. Plus the FDA didn't approve it or "emergency approve" it as you claim. It's being used under emergency use authorisation. Basically they haven't approved it but have agreed to allow it to be used anyway presumably under significant political pressure. Plasma has been used in Europe to treat Covid-19 since April at least, including here. Give the health department a shout and see where it's at instead of sitting around moaning here.

• Advertisement

speckle wrote: »
    Re convalesent plasma

They have taken their time

Media in Ireland mention it being used where the virus started in February

then we had in April that they were going to get the ITBS on board

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/irish-patients-to-be-involved-in-trials-for-covid-19-drug-treatments-1.4240365

Eventually now in August
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-40028021.html

I will add someone I knew rang and asked to donate over a week ago , they said a doctor would ring back to see if they could no call yet
    I think Northern Ireland has a form online already

Edit lst link irish paper but its the uk nhs up and running trails with it eyes tired apologies

Should we not just copy the states now they've done the research on over 100,000 people, were not going to have those kinda numbers to test here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement