Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXII-30,360 in ROI(1,781 deaths) 8,035 in NI (568 deaths)(10/09)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Going from 20 yesterday to 28 today is not a small increase .

Largest number before 28 for this month was 20 on the 22nd and 18th

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Nothing really I imagine, only thats its a small number overall

Okay Fintan thanks for the input.

So no one has a theory to explain the sudden 40% increase?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

speckle wrote: »
    Might your wife be able to shed some light on Cuh, as I said a friend going in for surgery had pre admittamce outpatient apointment then sent on public transport x 2 buses to another place to get covid pcr test and then back for the surgery seems crazy to me?

Yes. That is happening here in Dunlin too , but the testing is in a testing tent on the hospital site . 2 to 3 days before admission so results are back prior to going in .

Should we not just copy the states now they've done the research on over 100,000 people, were not going to have those kinda numbers to test here.

Did you read any of that? We were actively trialing it since April. We are looking at stockpiling plasma for a second wave according to the SBP article I posted. It's only going to specifically be of use for ICU cases. So it doesn't change anything for Europe and it's not a sudden breakthrough.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Did you read any of that? We were actively trialing it since April. We are looking at stockpiling plasma for a second wave according to the SBP article I posted. It's only going to specifically be of use for ICU cases. So it doesn't change anything for Europe...

I didn't know that, didn't see any advertising looking for people to donate Plasma.
    I don't think we've had a first wave, the nursing homes was a disaster, going by the antibodie testing a lot of us have yet to get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

It's a big increase. I know there will be discharges early next week, but with more positive cases, more will be admitted. It's like a slow boil, people see 'small' increases and next we know, we're swamped with hospital cases.
    Cases have stayed high and it doesn't seem to be out of control, so it will probably stay steady until we get case numbers down.

Back in March, it was all hands on deck, cancelling non urgent care to clear spaces etc... we can't do that again so keeping hospitals clear is a priority.
    All the talk about zero covid for the country.... I'll settle for zero covid in hospitals first!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

DubInMeath wrote: »

This country even though I love it drives me demented at times , six months and how many serious cases even deaths and we do not have covid plasma donations up and running. Mentioned here eons ago also. I am going outside to scream.... Back in the house apologies to neighbour's it was my cat not me:D

Hospitalized serous cases but recovered patients are best donators we have less of these at the moment, also there is only a short window of oppurtunity to donate it to the patient that needs it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Arghus wrote: »

I guess 40% makes it sound more dramatic than 8 people. The posts are so predictable on this thread.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I guess 40% makes it sound more dramatic than 8 people.

Sure, but that is what it is.

Rising cases ?

• Advertisement

Sure, but that is what it is.

Yes 8 people out of nearly 5 million. 40% was used for dramatics. Sounds so much better doesn’t it? Very media type reporting.

Yes. That is happening here in Dunlin too , but the testing is in a testing tent on the hospital site . 2 to 3 days before admission so results are back prior to going in .
    That's not to bad. CUH seems crazy I think that they have forgotten not everybody drives .

I didn't know that, didn't see any advertising looking for people to donate Plasma.
    I don't think we've had a first wave, the nursing homes was a disaster, going by the antibodie testing a lot of us have yet to get it.

They would only be looking for plasma from confirmed recovered patients .

Yes 8 people out of nearly 5 million.

Yes, but a 40% increase in the space of a day is a bit unusual.

Yes 8 people out of nearly 5 million. 40% was used for dramatics. Sounds so much better doesn’t it?

8 is 40% of 20. Sorry if I triggered you with basic maths.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Just to be clear, he never said children won't catch it in schools. He actually said:
    Maybe not, but he's a wacko.
    https://twitter.com/President_MU/status/1296760361228673027?s=20

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1296760361228673027.html
    if older adults starve the virus of opportunities to transmit (limiting our contacts and being careful) the young can have the higher numbers of contacts that classroom education requires; the sum total of all contacts for the population level remains low

I suppose we'll soon find out.

Wolf359f wrote: »
    It's a big increase. I know there will be discharges early next week, but with more positive cases, more will be admitted. It's like a slow boil, people see 'small' increases and next we know, we're swamped with hospital cases.
    Cases have stayed high and it doesn't seem to be out of control, so it will probably stay steady until we get case numbers down.

Back in March, it was all hands on deck, cancelling non urgent care to clear spaces etc... we can't do that again so keeping hospitals clear is a priority.
    All the talk about zero covid for the country.... I'll settle for zero covid in hospitals first!

Am back to work in a week after holidays and accrued leave .
    It was relatively quiet ( as in not crazy , when I left )
    I am hoping this is a blip but it is not looking good at this stage .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Overall number he said. 28 people in hospital from 1839 cases the last 3 weeks is a small number.

You qouted 40% increase just to boost your dramatics in your post.

We seem to only be really testing kids lately in higher numbers. Could the increase relate to taking kids into hospital better to be safe than sorry... like we were doing with adults and milder cases very early on?

• Advertisement

This country even though I love it drives me demented at times , six months and how many serious cases even deaths and we do not have covid plasma donations up and running. Mentioned here eons ago also. I am going outside to scream.... Back in the house apologies to neighbour's it was my cat not me:D

Hospitalized serous cases but recovered patients are best donators we have less of these at the moment, also there is only a short window of oppurtunity to donate it to the patient that needs it.

Don't worry . Fresh frozen plasma is banked all the time .

8 is 40% of 20. Sorry if I triggered you with basic maths.

Nope not triggered at all, i stand by you went for dramatics because it sounds worse than it is. 8 people didn’t cut it for you. I mean you could have 1 person in hospital and it increases by 1 next day that’s 100% increase, sounds bad doesn’t it?

Anyway great to see no increase ICU.

They have already have started to collect plasma from recovered patients here according to another poster, don't have a sub for the paper they linked to but they might be able to confirm the full article content.

Edit
    Haven't read the following in full, will tomorrow, but donation looks to be good for 36 months in storag
    https://www.giveblood.ie/Clinical-Services/Quality/Product-Master-File/Apheresis-Convalescent-Plasma-Covid-19.pdf

Overall number he said. 28 people in hospital from 1839 cases the last 3 weeks is a small number.

Yes but 20 to 28 , in a day or two ....oh forget it

.... and you’ll find there will be a drop tomorrow.

You qouted 40% increase just to boost your dramatics in your post.

I understand that 8 is a small number and 28 is also a small number. But in the context of how the numbers in hospital have fluctuated over the last few weeks it represents a change in the pattern. If you have low numbers any initial change is going to be in low numbers

Numbers have stayed quite stable as of late, there's been a slight increase over a period but it's usually 1 admission or 2 at a time. In the context of such low numbers 8 represents, at least at first glance, a clear change.

Now, the reason I asked this question was not to immediately jump to conclusions about the cause. There can be a few reasons for numbers jumping slightly over a weekend, we've seen numbers fall again on a Monday before.

I am not claiming that things are rapidly disentegrating, really what I'm looking for is someone with insight and knowledge to give their opinion. I'm not trying to predict doom I just want to gain a bit of insight. I know your instinct is to immediately attack any post you perceive as suggesting something you disagree with, but I am just asking a genuine question that I believe is worth asking. It's very tiresome to have to deal with immediate opposition from someone who has no real interest in discussing something properly.

Tracked this down looks like from june 10th donating/giving plasma guidelines came out...

https://www.giveblood.ie/Clinical-Services/Quality/Product-Master-File/Apheresis-Convalescent-Plasma-Covid-19.pdf

must be used by this between 3 and 7 days after symptoms show unless the pdf updated to state otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Always_Running

.... and you’ll find there will be a drop tomorrow.
    Likely and It's Tuesday or Wednesday before we get stable number. According to some on here you would think its April again with 865 in hospital but... oh forget it indeed.

I understand that 8 is a small number and 28 is also a small number. But in the context of how the numbers in hospital have fluctuated over the last few weeks it represents a change in the pattern. If you have low numbers any initial change is going to be in low numbers

Numbers have stayed quite stable as of late, there's been a slight increase over a period but it's usually 1 admission or 2 at a time. In the context of such low numbers 8 represents, at least at first glance, a clear change.

Now, the reason I asked this question was not to immediately jump to conclusions about the cause. There can be a few reasons for numbers jumping slightly over a weekend, we've seen numbers fall again on a Monday before.

I am not claiming that things are rapidly disentegrating, really what I'm looking for is someone with insight and knowledge to give their opinion. I'm not trying to predict doom I just want to gain a bit of insight. I know your instinct is to immediately attack any post you perceive as suggesting something you disagree with, but I am just asking a genuine question that I believe is worth asking. It's very tiresome to have to deal with immediate opposition from someone who has no real interest in discussing something properly.

I explained why i “attacked” your post and i still stand by it. 40% sounded so much jucier than 8 didn’t it?

Your “genuine” post was a wind up post clearly. I’m sure you’re intelligent enough to realise that with the rising number of cases some hospital admissions were going to be inevitable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Hospital Numbers from the 1st August
    CC=Critical Care
    The 28 number was released at 8pm tonight the others would be during the day.

524065.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement