Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXII-30,360 in ROI(1,781 deaths) 8,035 in NI (568 deaths)(10/09)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Thanks edit. Points therefore stands that even if half of people never developed immunity we would still achieve herd immunity.

Not if people can be reinfected.

Herd immunity is a binary thing. It's all about transmission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

khalessi wrote: »
    If this is the same HK example two different strains of the virus apparently

https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/component/k2/1545589-20200824.htm

Two different strains of COVID-19? Is that possible (I guess so from strains of influenza)? I mean, how similar are these viruses that are causing the disease? Could they be different coronaviruses? Again, I'm a little ignorant here, but what identifies those two strains as being 'COVID-19', yet different?

How many strains does HIV have? Herpes etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

Two different strains of COVID-19? Is that possible (I guess so from strains of influenza)? I mean, how similar are these viruses that are causing the disease? Could they be different coronaviruses? Again, I'm a little ignorant here, but what identifies those two strains as being 'COVID-19', yet different?

There's a lot of resistance among virologists to using the word 'strains' to describe the variation that has emerged over the last few months. Normally strains would have different biology such that e.g. you could be immune to one and not another (Wait, like what just happened? Suppress that thought!)

The two sequences from this patient differed by 24 bases out of 30,000, so they're very closely related but different enough to tell them apart.

Flu strains would be much more divergent because flu has been around in humans and their pigs and birds for a very long time and so has had much more time to evolve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Not if people can be reinfected.

Reinfection is so miniscule to be irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

9 for the herpes virus
    2 main strains for HIV which then subdivide again into types

https://www.webmd.com/hiv-aids/types-strains-hiv#:~:text=Groups%20of%20HIV%2D1&text=The%20group%20has%20nine%20named,common%20HIV%20strain%20is%20C.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK8157/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭Onesea

This place is a hamster wheel. Same topics again and again. Apart from a few government scandles all the same stuff.

Are yous ready for your economy to crumble.

Yeah, it's one person so far, but we'll have to wait to see how prevalent reinfection can become.
    All we know is that it is definitely possible.

Hopefully it's an outlier, but if you're pinning your hopes on herd immunity then this should definitely make you pause.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

mandrake04 wrote: »
    I listened to it, I get what they are saying the rapid test which tests for antigens rather than RNA is crude and cheap but does work if you in an advanced stage of infection and have a high viral load this especially is true around when you are most infectious. But they said it had a narrow window of around 4 days, you could test negative today then test positive tomorrow. In the same case PCR would have tested positive 3-4 days ago because it’s a lot more sensitive maybe too sensitive is also what they touched on but a few of already know that.

They did admit for these Rapid tests to work you probably need the individual to test everyday, im not dismissing them completely as I sort of know how they work but I doubt the HSE will go for them unless the rest of Europe are using them and proven that they are beneficial.

thank you for listening and your reply. I don't think its one or the other only but that both have a place during a pandemic. there seems to be two main branches to testing one public health mass testing i.e. factory's schools etc and then the medical/clinicial side of things where PCR test would possibly be better like pre surgery or those in the high risk groups that you would want to catch very early.

They were saying in the research /paper that the time frame of where they might not overlap for sensitivity can be a short as 4hours to 24 hours/next day not 3 to four days and this is made up by the fact that most people unless contact traced only come forward when the have sypmtoms so both tests would catch that.

But if you have mass testing but less perfect that makes up for the numbers that PCR never get to which we can see from the antibody studies.
    Yes I agree with you re the Hse always waiting for the rest of Europe but I want us to get ahead of the curve and be a world leader regarding Covid which we were during TB Na not 'paddy last' always.

I think re need to keep an eye on the Yale/FDA situation re these tests at the very least and start making a provisional plan here with company's/institutions/labs that could be prepped ready/ converted to mass produce our own version.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Onesea wrote: »
    Practically irrelevant information.
    147 test positive out of x tests during x date and x date.

Everyday there will be various numbers released, but how much longer are people willing to ignore empty hospitals.

Nearly September now folks.

Do you know why the hospitals are almost empty... I suppose it has nothing to do with the restrictions/guidelines introduced to reduce the spread?

The current increase in cases and hospital admissions, is obviously a result of the generally relaxed restrictions, so therefore, the more relaxations, the more cases arise and here we go again.

What is the solution? pick an acceptable level of potential deaths and go for it? What about long term health implications... do we care what challenges that might present for society in the future or should we just ignore that question for now and carry on regardless? What happened in Italy and Spain should serve to urge caution.

Next stage of the big social experiment is the schools opening - not long now to see how that works out.

Couldn't help but laugh at these two articles I got suggested

url]

82iK0O3.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Which one's?

Delhi, 50% of people in some parts of the city(the slums) had antibodies. And cases are declining there overall. Of crouse it could be a correlation, but it is encouraging. Antibody testing in Pune also showed that 50% of the citizens there had been infected.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Testing details updated.

I make it 215 positive tests from 10,276 tests completed in last 48 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Couldn't help but laugh at these two articles I got suggested

url]

82iK0O3.jpg

Two different writers opinion pieces.

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

eigrod wrote: »
    Testing details updated.

I make it 215 positive tests from 11,596 tests completed in last 48 hours.
    Have we not had the mysterious texter's daily tally yet?

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Delhi, 50% of people in some parts of the city(the slums) had antibodies. And cases are declining there overall. Of crouse it could be a correlation, but it is encouraging. Antibody testing in Pune also showed that 50% of the citizens there had been infected.

And now there's evidence that the 50% that have already been infected could be reinfected, which would render their herd immunity null and void.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Have we not had the mysterious texter's daily tally yet?

Yes, look back earlier. 147.

That added to yesterday’s 61 gives 208 which is broadly in line with the 215 positive tests.

And now there's evidence that the 50% that have already been infected could be reinfected, which would render their herd immunity null and void.

where did you pull that bs from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Time to start living like the world is over? What you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Eod100 wrote: »
    If De Gacsun is coming, there might be news on the alternative kids testing they were looking into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

On a lighter note, wearing speedos can lower your risk of contracting Sars cov 2.

French-naturist-camp-hit-by-very-worrying-covid-outbreak

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lyle

eigrod wrote: »
    Testing details updated.

I make it 215 positive tests from 11,596 tests completed in last 48 hours.

11,596 tests last 48 hours and the Hub says 4,838 in last 24 Hours. That leaves 6,758 on Sunday, which was also the number for Saturday. So they did exactly 6,758 tests two days in a row. Some precision... I wonder if they just pull the Sunday number out of their arses.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

is_that_so wrote: »
    If De Gacsun is coming, there might be news on the alternative kids testing they were looking into.

Hopefully in times for school reopening alright. Think RTE reporting earlier they might advise on schools reopening at briefing.

Lyle wrote: »
    11,596 tests last 48 hours and the Hub says 4,838 in last 24 Hours. That leaves 6,758 on Sunday, which was also the number for Saturday. So they did exactly 6,758 tests two days in a row. Some precision... I wonder if they just pull the Sunday number out of their arses.

That could be my mistake. I hadn’t realised the 6758 might not have been updated on Sunday and I assumed that was the Sunday figure.

Edit: indeed, it looks like 10,276 tests in last 48 hours.

Eod100 wrote: »
    Hopefully in times for school reopening alright. Think RTE reporting earlier they might advise on schools reopening at briefing.
    Yeah that HSE doc said last week they'll have something early in the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lyle

4,838 is the number for the last 24 hours, you know, Sunday!

Sorry I took testing data to be noon to noon, published then daily at 3pm except Sunday.

So the 4,838 just published on the Hub today is from noon Sunday to noon Monday, and we don't receive the update on Sundays so we don't get the noon Saturday to noon Sunday figures.

Or am I wrong about the way that's timed? Is it a day behind?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Just in case it was missed on the last thread, thanks again to caveat emptor for this good news link......https://www.thegoodnewscoronavirus.com/en/

Every time the numbers are up, there's talk of reinfection/long term illness or I just feel there's no end in sight, I go there and have a read!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

New York doing very well now.

Showing signs of herd immunity I hope.

https://twitter.com/NYGovCuomo/status/1297920701693820928

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Two different writers opinion pieces.

Designed to sell papers. A pair of ****e hawks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement