Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXII-30,360 in ROI(1,781 deaths) 8,035 in NI (568 deaths)(10/09)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭ongarite

Dublin west, northwest and north central seeing highest increases

1/3 of Dublin cases are community transmission

The demographic make-up of these areas are people who aren't working from home; that is retail, industrial workers.
    Stats will show that car traffic & public transport usage in these areas is near pre-COVID levels where as south-side Dublin has much higher work from home demographics & still large drop in car traffic usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Polar101

Did anyone catch the number about direct provision cases, I think they said something like 235 cases of which 13 have been hospitalised?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭boardise

redarmy wrote: »
    Who gives a f...

Snookerers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

She's the only person who does it. The publicans have half the country asking when pubs will be re-opened (granted the other half are demanding that they remain closed). Wedding professionals have Zara King. Without her keeping weddings in the spotlight we'd be even more f*cked than we already are.

And I would add.. spare a thought for the musicians etc,who will be back probably last...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

john4321 wrote: »
    All within the last hour.

If only there was an ignore button....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Both bar Dublin North Central are along Kildare county boundaries by the looks of it

No...

Dublin West is, northwest borders Meath not Kildare

Edit: I see the picture now... they have redefined the areas. Lucan is now north west? okay..

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

Dublin should've been locked down ages ago, it's epicenter in Ireland for the virus.

Expected I know as the capital but hasn't stopped other countries like New Zealand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,824 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

CORONAVIRUSUK Government Scientist Admits Lockdown Was a “Monumental Mistake on a Global Scale”
    “The cure was worse than the disease.”

Infectious diseases expert and University of Edinburgh professor Mark Woolhouse acknowledged that the decision to lockdown in March was a “crude measure” that was enacted because “we couldn’t think of anything better to do.”

“Lockdown was a panic measure and I believe history will say trying to control Covid-19 through lockdown was a monumental mistake on a global scale, the cure was worse than the disease,” said Woolhouse, who is now calling on the government to unlock society before more damage is done.

“I never want to see national lockdown again,” he added. “It was always a temporary measure that simply delayed the stage of the epidemic we see now. It was never going to change anything fundamentally.”

The professor asserts that the impact of the response to coronavirus will be worse than the virus itself.

“I believe the harm lockdown is doing to our education, health care access, and broader aspects of our economy and society will turn out to be at least as great as the harm done by COVID-19,” said Woolhouse.

Richard Sullivan, professor of cancer at King’s College London, previously warned that there will be more excess cancer deaths over the next 5 years than the number of people who die from coronavirus in the UK due to the disruption caused by the coronavirus lockdown, which is preventing cancer victims from getting treatment.

Figures also show that there were more excess deaths during the 2017-18 flu season (around 50,000) than the total number of people in the UK who have died from coronavirus (41,433).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

CORONAVIRUSUK Government Scientist Admits Lockdown Was a “Monumental Mistake on a Global Scale”

Infectious diseases expert and University of Edinburgh professor Mark Woolhouse acknowledged that the decision to lockdown in March was a “crude measure” that was enacted because “we couldn’t think of anything better to do.”

“Lockdown was a panic measure and I believe history will say trying to control Covid-19 through lockdown was a monumental mistake on a global scale, the cure was worse than the disease,” said Woolhouse, who is now calling on the government to unlock society before more damage is done.

“I never want to see national lockdown again,” he added. “It was always a temporary measure that simply delayed the stage of the epidemic we see now. It was never going to change anything fundamentally.”

The professor asserts that the impact of the response to coronavirus will be worse than the virus itself.

“I believe the harm lockdown is doing to our education, health care access, and broader aspects of our economy and society will turn out to be at least as great as the harm done by COVID-19,” said Woolhouse.

Richard Sullivan, professor of cancer at King’s College London, previously warned that there will be more excess cancer deaths over the next 5 years than the number of people who die from coronavirus in the UK due to the disruption caused by the coronavirus lockdown, which is preventing cancer victims from getting treatment.

Figures also show that there were more excess deaths during the 2017-18 flu season (around 50,000) than the total number of people in the UK who have died from coronavirus (41,433).

I would support some elements of this.

Cancer screening/treatments should not have been shut down or postponed.

I think the economic impacts can be handled with the correct political approach, and prioritising spend on essential services.

We will need a major global redistribution of wealth to prevent economic damage impacting on health outcomes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Polar101

“The cure was worse than the disease.”.

There was no source included, but a quick google indicates this is on Infowars and Globalist News. I'll leave it to the reader to decide whether they are reliable sources for news.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Who needs the briefings this thread has yourdeadright, who actually IS always dead right.

He was one case out on Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

As long as people continue the snark about Zara King's wedding questions I will continue to make the point that those questions actually matter to people. Not just couples getting married but also to those of us who depend on weddings for income.

Yes as I’ve posted before, it matters to a lot of people. Our wedding reception was due to be held in Kildare at the end of the month, we had to scramble to find a new reception venue last weekend. We had already postponed from May and postponing again isn’t an option.
    We have lost thousands due to our original venue not refunding our deposit despite them being unable to open on our wedding date.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Polar101 wrote: »
    There was no source included, but a quick google indicates this is on Infowars and Globalist News. I'll leave it to the reader to decide whether they are reliable sources for news.

Didn't google very far - full interview

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/1320428/Coronavirus-news-lockdown-mistake-second-wave-Boris-Johnson

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Todays numbers 24/08/2020

147 New cases with 0 denotifications. Total = 28,116
    0 Deaths with 0 denotification. Total = 1,777

Monday to Sunday average for week 21 with total of 147 cases. Last week was avg 104.57 with Total of 732 cases.

(22/08/20 GOV.IE)
    Hospital 3398 +2
    ICU 443 No Change
    Healthcare workers 8553 +3
    Clusters 2580 +1
    Cases Associated with Clusters 15,175 +4
    Median Age 46 decrease of 1 from yesterdays 47

(24/08/20 HUB)
    ICU 6 -
    Admissions and Discharged +1 / 1
    Confirmed In Hospital 27 +6
    Admission (24 hrs) 1
    Discharged (24 hrs) 0

Transmission
    (22/08/20 GOV.IE)
    Community 30.7% -
    Close Contact Confirmed 66.2% -.1%
    Travel 2.4% -
    Unknown 0.7% -

(24/08/20 Press release)
    Community 14 Yesterday 16
    Close Contact 60 Yesterday 23

|Age Affected|Incr|Hospitalised|Incr
    (22/08/2020 Gov.ie)
    0-4|271|+1|24|-
    5-14|499|+4|18|-
    15-24|2396|+19|81|+1
    25-34|4878|+10|207|+1
    35-44|4915|+47|279|-
    45-54|4924|+16|456|-
    55-64|3445|+6|503|-
    65-74|1903|-|596|-
    75-84|2330|+1|753|-
    85+|2386|-|480|-
    ?|22|+1|1|-

Testing
    (24/08/20 Hub)
    Sunday
    Total 772,797 + 5,438
    Hospital Total 2941,806 1,906
    Labs Total 480,991 +3,532

Monday
    Total 777,635 + 4,838
    Hospital Total 293,616 1,810
    Labs Total 484,019 +3,028
    Total Positive 31,380 + 215 %Positive 4% -.1% Week% Positive 1.4% + .1%

County|21/08/2020|Incr|20/08/2020|Incr|County|21/08/2020|Incr|20/08/2020|Incr
    Carlow|220|-|220|+4|Cavan|883|-|883|–
    Clare|443|+1|442|+1|Cork|1614|+2|1612|+2
    Donegal|512|-|512|+1|Dublin|13,007|+39|12,968|+55
    Galway|509|-|509|-|Kerry|326|+1|325|+2
    Kildare|2174|+13|2161|+36|Kilkenny|394|-|394|+7
    Laois|373|+3|670|+3|Leitrim|85|-|85|-(20 days)
    Limerick|697|+1|696|+10|Longford|292|+1|291|-
    Louth|816|-|816|+1|Mayo|587|-|587|-
    Meath|878|-|878|+3|Monaghan|552|-|552|+2
    Offaly|607|-|607|+2|Roscommon|353|-|353|+2
    Sligo|156|-|156|–|Tipperary|637|-|637|+12
    Waterford|181|-|181|+6|Westmeath|684|-|684|+1
    Wexford|265|-|265|+4|Wicklow|724|+1|723|+2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭seanb85

UK excess deaths are over 65,000 at this point

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Curiously he was out by that one for the Kildare numbers - a false positive...discovered in the proceeding hours...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Useless! :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

fritzelly wrote: »
    Curiously he was out by that one for the Kildare numbers - a false positive...discovered in the proceeding hours...

I don't really want to out them, but where the figures come from becomes obvious if you think about it. Also seems a sketchy game to be playing for a few anon likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

I don't really want to out them, but where the figures come from becomes obvious if you think about it. Also seems a sketchy game to be playing for a few anon likes.

I'm sure there are plenty who see those numbers before they reach us in the evening.

Beverly Hills, California

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Yep think it was summit just saw it on the web.

Have you got something to show that they are misquoting the people concerned or do you just not agree with the views expressed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

I mostly agree with this, but if there wasn't going to be a lockdown, then they needed to act swiftly and take other measures, and they didn't.

I definitely agree that cancelling all non-urgent operations and appointments was a MASSIVE mistake. A stupid kneejerk reaction which led to hospitals sitting almost empty, with doctors sitting there with nothing to do, while people were stuck at home with cancerous tumours growing and all manner of other medical issues.

I would not be surprised if the number of deaths from cancer and other things which could have been prevented with timely medical intervention outstrips the deaths from coronavirus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Funnily enough history shows the EXACT opposite for cities that didnt lockdown during the 1918 pandemic.

But i do agreee cancer services should have continued.
    But then there was the risk of getting it in hospital with an already compromised immune system.

Hard to know.

Edit: And UK figures for covid19 are deliberately under reported. Excess deaths a much more accurate measure.

Honestly, i think they are lining up lockdowns to take the fall for the economic disaster that brexit is bringing to the UK. 15,000 jobs lost in swindon alone.
    Its going to be horrific. Much easier to blame lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Anyone got the County numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Anyone got the County numbers

Todays county numbers are above.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭kingshankly

With population taken into account, Dublin's figure today would be the same as 12 cases for Kildare.

Not quite lockdown territory yet.

Kildare is in lockdown though 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

A quick Google of "Mark Woolhouse lockdown" shows him quoted by Channel 4 News and a quick google of "Richard Sullivan lockdown" has him quoted by the Lancet.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Kildare is in lockdown though 😂😂
    By population density, Dublin is 11 times more populated than Kildare. Which makes 73 cases in Dublin the same as 6-7 cases in Kildare ;)

Anyway, it's about the trends, not the raw numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

growleaves wrote: »

So, hes moved himself and his family to a small scottish island and is refusing to go back to work in edinburgh while advocating everyone else does? Was that what they were discussing in the last 2 mins?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement