Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXII-30,360 in ROI(1,781 deaths) 8,035 in NI (568 deaths)(10/09)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

I don't really want to out them, but where the figures come from becomes obvious if you think about it. Also seems a sketchy game to be playing for a few anon likes.

I feel really thick now because I have no clue who it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

growleaves wrote: »

If people followed the guidelines on public health there won't be any need for further lockdowns but some people are too greedy and selfish and dim to follow the guidelines of

Appropriate cough and sneeze etiquette
    Avoid closed spaces with poor ventilation
    Avoid crowds
    Keep close contacts low
    Isolate at home if you feel unwell

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

I have time to post here this week :D

How are we doing guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Renjit wrote: »
    I have time to post here this week :D

How are we doing guys?

Depends what side of the fence you are on!!

I mostly agree with this, but if there wasn't going to be a lockdown, then they needed to act swiftly and take other measures, and they didn't.

I definitely agree that cancelling all non-urgent operations and appointments was a MASSIVE mistake. A stupid kneejerk reaction which led to hospitals sitting almost empty, with doctors sitting there with nothing to do, while people were stuck at home with cancerous tumours growing and all manner of other medical issues.

I would not be surprised if the number of deaths from cancer and other things which could have been prevented with timely medical intervention outstrips the deaths from coronavirus.

An oncologist wrote in the Times on Saturday that in his view there would ultimately be 30,000 excess cancer deaths in the UK due to the cessation of screening and interventions during lockdown. Stopping those services was disgrace, one of the biggest mistakes made, and so many people said so at the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

An oncologist wrote in the Times on Saturday that in his view there would ultimately be 30,000 excess cancer deaths in the UK due to the cessation of screening and interventions during lockdown. Stopping those services was disgrace, one of the biggest mistakes made, and so many people said so at the time

Loosely extrapolating from that figure means 2300 unnecessary cancer deaths here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭Onesea

Icu numbers aren't following the "second wave"
    What a mantra, anyway I'm seeing alot more people traveling internationally which is nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    So, hes moved himself and his family to a small scottish island and is refusing to go back to work in edinburgh while advocating everyone else does? Was that what they were discussing in the last 2 mins?

Very awkward. So easy to pontificate to vulnerable working class people in Blackburn or wherever from his island refuge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

owlbethere wrote: »
    If people followed the guidelines on public health there won't be any need for further lockdowns but some people are too greedy and selfish and dim to follow the guidelines of

Avoid crowds
    Keep close contacts low

Unfortunately the guidelines are like communism in that people will just keep saying they've never been implemented fully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭Onesea

growleaves wrote: »
    Unfortunately the guidelines are like communism in that people will just keep saying they've never been implemented fully. Trotskyite saboteurs lurk around every corner. In fact in the Soviet Union, Stalin accused secret supporters of Trotsky of spreading germs deliberately

When you think about it alot of pro lockdown ers are pro commie.Jusging from fb anyway.

• Advertisement

owlbethere wrote: »

Avoid crowds
    Keep close contacts low

Measures only ever assumed less than 80% compliance. The fact that we probably had more than 90% in early days and the resulting success through May and June probably seeded the idea we could achieve zero cases.

Onesea wrote: »
    When you think about it alot of pro lockdown ers are pro commie.Jusging from fb anyway.

It’s all a commie plot to sap and impurify your precious bodily fluids onesies.

Feck sake, I realised you are not living in Ireland, but in fact are you living in the 1950’s?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Arghus wrote:
    So no one has a theory to explain the sudden 40% increase?

40% increase in Hospitalisations quoted last night from a very low base.

Back at you tonight with a 17% decrease in ICU cases.

6 down to 5. Really good number.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Expected that to happen after the reduction in people on ventilators last night, good to see

Onesea wrote: »

Did the conspiracy theorists you follow give you this pearl of wisdom?

Great to see icu cases this low. One of the lowest ever.

Keeping cases out of icu is what it is all about were possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

It was on the news there - if a child feels unwell with covid19 symptoms, they must not be sent to school. Loss of taste and smell can be a symptom of the virus but young children may not be aware of a lost of taste and smell and in a morning rush out the door it may not be picked up on time. It said on the news, If a child has a runny nose, it is OK for them to go to school.

I thought runny nose can be a symptom of covid19. Also some countries have sore throat listed as a symptom for covid19 but the hse doesn't list sore throat, so Irish children who have a sore throat, it's OK for them to go to school because it's not listed as a symptom of covid19 with the hse.

My understanding of the covid19 is that it can show up as a cold in young children. Now we are told that children can go to school with a runny nose so long as they don't have any of the covid19 symptoms. But what if them symptoms are early signs of virus?

Also Tony said that the days of going to work and school with a cold are over. Now according to the news children can go to school with colds.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Media reporting on this with glee ....
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53892856

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Jaded Walker

It's not looking good here. Every other day we have over 100 cases.
    What's the solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Ah well....

• Advertisement

You might want to look up the definition of glee, you clearly don't know what it means.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

theballz wrote: »
    I tested positive for covid but tested negative for antibodies.

My friend tested negative for covid but tested positive for antibodies.

Explain that one

You never put in any time lines

Depends on when you tested Pos for covid and then how long afterwards you did antibody test, antibodies wane over time. This is well known.

Your friend might have be infected after testing negative for covid, then tested positive for antibodies as the infection was more recent and cleared so antibodies present.
    Tests are 70% accurate.

Not all tests are the same some of the cheaper tests are more unreliable, but most molecular tests are over 90%. The tests are accurate but the patients are the problem. You test a known positive sample 100 times and you probably get either 99 or more likely 100 positives results....you sample 100 positive patients and you might only get 95 positive results or you could get 100... this depends on the patient as they are not all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,260 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

The EU has concluded talks with Moderna.

"It is anticipated that the Commission will have a contractual framework in place for the initial purchase of 80 million doses on behalf of all EU Member States, plus an option to purchase up to a further 80 million doses, to be supplied once a vaccine has proven to be safe and effective against COVID-19. "

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_20_1513

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

It's a news report. Just because it doesn't fit your agenda doesn't mean the media are rejoicing in the reporting.

What's the solution?

The solution is to get on with life, not to give in to the fear mongering hysterical media, look at the death rates of this .... you have a 99.6% chance of surviving this .... more if you are younger and healthy...

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    It's a news report. Just because it doesn't fit your agenda doesn't mean the media are rejoicing in the reporting.

Agenda !! Shut the f*ck up ya bleedin' little fewel ya ....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

What's the solution?

If the numbers stay like that we are doing great. Those numbers are easily manageable.

Holiday season is nearly over and the schools are about to open so that is a big change which could alter the pattern of virus spread. We should know by October. If we get to October without an explosion of cases things will be looking very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,567 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There is no glee in the article you linked.

I see a heartbreaking tragedy of a possibly avoidable death and these tragic words of advice:
    "If you have to go out please use wisdom and don't be foolish like I was so the same thing won't happen to you like it happened to me and my wife," he wrote.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Agenda !! Shut the f*ck up ya bleedin' little fewel ya ....

Aren't you a charmer! Hard to see the truth isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

speckle wrote: »
    thank you for listening and your reply. I don't think its one or the other only but that both have a place during a pandemic. there seems to be two main branches to testing one public health mass testing i.e. factory's schools etc and then the medical/clinicial side of things where PCR test would possibly be better like pre surgery or those in the high risk groups that you would want to catch very early.

They were saying in the research /paper that the time frame of where they might not overlap for sensitivity can be a short as 4hours to 24 hours/next day not 3 to four days and this is made up by the fact that most people unless contact traced only come forward when the have sypmtoms so both tests would catch that.

But if you have mass testing but less perfect that makes up for the numbers that PCR never get to which we can see from the antibody studies.
    Yes I agree with you re the Hse always waiting for the rest of Europe but I want us to get ahead of the curve and be a world leader regarding Covid which we were during TB Na not 'paddy last' always.

I think re need to keep an eye on the Yale/FDA situation re these tests at the very least and start making a provisional plan here with company's/institutions/labs that could be prepped ready/ converted to mass produce our own version.

I would be surprised if it even got traction, all this stuff looks good in theory but producing them on such a large scale and maintaining quality is a different story.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement