Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXII-30,360 in ROI(1,781 deaths) 8,035 in NI (568 deaths)(10/09)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    It's certainly been heavily implied that NPHET have that view

Main problem seems to be there is no real discussion as evidenced by the last weeks shenanigans - MM just wants to be seen as the big man in charge and stamp his authority on everything regardless of anything
    Nphet says we'd like this, government says we'll do this, that and the other - no compromises. That's what the sub committee was meant to be for

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

speckle wrote: »
    Yes often used for HIV, around since ww2. I take it we do not have it here... is it a lack of reagent, I thought we had managed to source our short fall via an Irish company? Do I presume then its equipment costs/lack of investment over the years? Labs being treated like cinderella's?

LOL ... Ha Ha you thinking about Lysis Buffer, some mob in Cork or something made it. Reality was only in shortage for about 2 weeks by the time they made it in Ireland the manufacturer was able to supply it. It was just Media bullsh!t... look at us.. kind of thing.

Lysis Buffer tends to be bulky, so the logistics in storage and delivering were a challenge at the start as everything went to to short supply.

And genuiely, why LOL again is it costs or something political or slow government red tape etc? Or it is just not a good idea?

the reality, made in USA. Some of the most common tests are manufactured in US and Europe. Trump threatened to withold supply to other countries and keep it all for themselves, he then backed down as it was pointed out that the particular instrument US only has so many and can only run x number tests per week on them...as long as they were kept in supply then anything over that would be supplied to other countries because other manufacturers elsewhere might do the same thing for other equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,129 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Are you even reading what you are quoting? Sniffles and runny nose are not symptoms of covid,if a child has a cough or high temperature then they need to be kept at home. What is wrong with that advice?

You are the one not reading .

Clearly 2 different sets of advice , one from Mary Favier and the other from Gov.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

s1ippy wrote: »
    It's for posterity in case they change the guidelines.

Ronan Glynn directly contradicted advice the WHO gave (after a question from Zara "Renaissance" King today who has, to my mind, redeemed herself since her terrible lines of questioning before) by saying they never said children over five should wear masks.

https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/q-a-children-and-masks-related-to-covid-19

I couldn't help but feel like he was very shaken and downtrodden today, almost like somebody who is having to knowingly give bad information to protect some group or other.

I have been thinking this watching him over last few weeks struggling to answer questions. I think he has the answer but the answer he wants to give is the opposite of what the government want and outside the constraints that he has been given

• Registered Users Posts: 13,129 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

fritzelly wrote: »
    Main problem seems to be there is no real discussion as evidenced by the last weeks shenanigans - MM just wants to be seen as the big man in charge and stamp his authority on everything regardless of anything
    Nphet says we'd like this, government says we'll do this, that and the other - no compromises. That's what the sub committee was meant to be for

I don't know , but would the sub committee still be sitting with the Dáil on holiday?

• Advertisement

Goldengirl wrote: »
    I don't know , but would the sub committee still be sitting with the Dáil on holiday?

Why not - the Dail being closed doesn't stop anything happening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Interesting interview on the situation in France, and a bit near the end reminds me of the hogan/judge thing of one rule for you another for me...

Interesting interview on the situation in France, and a bit near the end reminds me of the hogan/judge thing of one rule for you another for me...

The translation is a bit all over the place but I agree with him - cases still rising, hospitals figures are static, reducing or only increasing marginally

Our hospital numbers in Ireland are minuscule (and have been for quite a while) but we (NPHET/government) are still of the mindset that we still have to control the virus at all costs

We need to open up and see what happens and go for localised lockdowns or control measures as needed

That's not to say it may mutate and come back to bite us in the bum but hopefully we will have a vaccine by then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

HSE Operations update,

22 covid patients in hosptial. Down 6 on last night.

5 in ICU (down 1), 3 on ventilators (up 1)

1 case confirmed in hospital today and that was in Mullingar

Also, looks like the ICU discharge was the Mater, which is now covid-free. Pretty sure this is the first time since the very beginning they’ve had zero covid patients.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

I'm a bit confused with yesterday's numbers..

If a third of Dublin's 70 odd cases were community transmission then how could it be only 14 CT cases reported across the entire country?

Beverly Hills, California

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Over 70 cases of "unknown origin" in Ireland yesterday. Do the tracers ever find out where these cases are coming from and what is causing them? Do they even have an idea?

s1ippy wrote: »
    In any other workplace fever and other symptoms such as coughing require self isolation and a test.

Sniffle does not equal Fever and a cough

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Oranage2 wrote: »

We're not an extremely sparsely populated country like Sweden (24 people /km²) that spend over 40 billion on their healthcare system a year twice what Ireland spends.

*Ireland (70 people/km²)

Ah come on, most of Sweden is uninhabited. You can't compare population density for a country like that. Not sure on the healthcare point either, they have twice our population so I can't understand why they have such a better health care system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

From yesterday's GP at the presser "We would often see our children with a runny nose and sniffles at night and think, ah sure it's grand, I'll send them in anyway but we can no longer do this"

Why did she say that if the government advice is different? Seems to be crossed wires.

Beverly Hills, California

From yesterday's GP at the presser "We would often see our children with a runny nose and sniffles at night and think, ah sure it's grand, I'll send them in anyway but we can no longer do this"

Why did she say that if the government advice is different? Seems to be crossed wires.

she wasnt told the mantra

?When you misquote, or deliberately misconstrue what someone says, its much easier to find fault, what the GP said was:
    "If a child is otherwise well, doesn't have any respiratory symptoms, doesn't have a cough, but just constantly sniffles and sneezes the odd time" they can and should go to school.

She said for a child who has more than that, such as a temperature, a cough or any of the symptoms that might suggest they have Covid-19 - such as being unable to taste food - they should not go to school.

She also said parents should be a little bit more vigilant this school year.

Dr Favier said children should stay at home until 48 hours until after the symptoms settle and said waiting to see "how they go" during the day is no longer okay.

It is interesting though that a runny nose or upper respiratory symptoms are in some children the only sign that the child could have a mild dose of covid 19 and yet we can send them to school now with these.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭celt262

khalessi wrote: »
    It is interesting though that a runny nose or upper respiratory symptoms are in some children the only sign that the child could have a mild dose of covid 19 and yet we can send them to school now with these.

If i had that i wouldn't be let in the door at work.

It's more wishy washy crap out of these experts.

Some children's winter sniffles start in October and don't end until April

Some children's winter sniffles start in October and don't end until April

Yep and we are in a pandemic so suck it up and upper respiratory symptoms occur in 54% of covid cases in children. To counter act this all parents should get free childrens visits to gps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

IT is typical because the restrictions aren't workable long-term, so unprincipled compromises have been the order of the day from the word go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Thought it was a strange press conference by Glynn last night. Did not seem concerned about the number of cases in Dublin with a high prevalence of community transmission throughout the city. That would seem far worse than the clusters in Offaly, Laois and Kildare that forced those 3 counties into a lockdown. No real consistency or logic to any plan. He also admitted they have made mistakes. People in Kildare at the moment must be feeling very angry. I don't blame them

celt262 wrote: »
    If i had that i wouldn't be let in the door at work.

It's more wishy washy crap out of these experts.

No, it is recognising parents know their own kids, and putting the responsibility on them. If your child gets sniffles out of nowhere and/or is off form - keep them off. If they are eternally sniffling and its on going for weeks and they are otherwise healthy, send them in.
    Take responsibility for yourself and your family, if you believe something is off, stay home. Contact your GP and take it from their. If most of us make the right decision most of the time it will keep things relatively under control.

No, it is recognising parents know their own kids, and putting the responsibility on them. If your child gets sniffles out of nowhere and/or is off form - keep them off. If they are eternally sniffling and its on going for weeks and they are otherwise healthy, send them in.
    Take responsibility for yourself and your family, if you believe something is off, stay home. Contact your GP and take it from their. If most of us make the right decision most of the time it will keep things relatively under control.

It is also allowing those parents calpol their children to send them to school.

wadacrack wrote: »
    Thought it was a strange press conference by Glynn last night. Did not seem concerned about the number of cases in Dublin with a high prevalence of community transmission throughout the city. That would seem far worse than the clusters in Offaly, Laois and Kildare that forced those 3 counties into a lockdown. No real consistency or logic to any plan. He also admitted they have made mistakes. People in Kildare at the moment must be feeling very angry. I don't blame them

Kildare - 220k, Dublin 1400k. 14 day incidence rate per 100,000 far higher in Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Polar101

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/eleven-covid-19-cases-confirmed-at-larry-goodman-owned-meat-plants-1.4338299

More cases in Larry Goodman's meat factories
    two out of 350 staff in Clones, co. Monaghan
    and 9 out of 650 staff in Cahir, co. Tipperary (largest plant in the country)

These were reported earlier, the Cahir numbers are just close contacts of one staff who tested positive, full testing is still ongoing.

Nurofen is much better at suppressing a fever in a young child.

If parents use Calpol as you say they are irresponsible, and increase the likelihood of the school being shut altogether. Personal responsibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Blame game has begun.
    Same sh!te happened with nursing homes.
    Same sh!te happened with the health care workers.

I mean 8000 of them infected. Why don't they take responsibility for their actions.

Why didn't the HSE head the advice that it was airborne. Their PPE guidelines were criminally negligent.
    So we are told we should take responsibility if our Kids get sick during a pandemic in clearly inadequate conditions it's our fault?

Even though guidelines didn't acknowledge the reality of how transmission occurs?
    Sounds familiar.

* a surgical mask does fvck all by the way.
    It limits what comes out of you if you are sick. That's it. Which helps society as a whole.
    If they worked we wouldn't have had 8000 HCW sick. 1/3 of our total case count.

524189.png

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The advice specifically was that if the child was displaying more than a bit of a runny nose, to not send them into school. It's quoted a few posts above you.

You don't give calpol to a child who has a sniffle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement