Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXII-30,360 in ROI(1,781 deaths) 8,035 in NI (568 deaths)(10/09)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

wadacrack wrote: »
    Thought it was a strange press conference by Glynn last night. Did not seem concerned about the number of cases in Dublin with a high prevalence of community transmission throughout the city. That would seem far worse than the clusters in Offaly, Laois and Kildare that forced those 3 counties into a lockdown. No real consistency or logic to any plan. He also admitted they have made mistakes. People in Kildare at the moment must be feeling very angry. I don't blame them

Political suicide to enforce restrictions on Dublin. That's the only game in town now. Skin saving. Unfortunately it's all going to come crumbling down anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Hands up who or your kids has had a cough or cold or sniffle (non allergy)since March?

The answer should be no one, if we've been adhering to the advise. So when the first sign of a sniffle comes around when theyre are back in school would it not be sensible to keep them home and wait and see/get tested?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,324 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

This won't end well.

Yea I'm deeply worried about this one, I suspect south Korean standards are probably higher than ours to

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Political suicide to enforce restrictions on Dublin. That's the only game in town now. Skin saving. Unfortunately it's all going to come crumbling down anyway.

Economic suicide*

Nurofen is much better at suppressing a fever in a young child.

If parents use Calpol as you say they are irresponsible, and increase the likelihood of the school being shut altogether. Personal responsibility.

Just to clarify this,

Paracetamol is first line for fever in children.

Ibuprofen is not recommended for children with asthma./less than 5kg.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Yea I'm deeply worried about this one, I suspect south Korean standards are probably higher than ours to

Yeah, they have FP2 or FP3 masks and plastic dividers.

https://twitter.com/TheKoreaHerald/status/1262670285834088449?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Yeah, they have FP2 or FP3 masks and plastic dividers.

https://twitter.com/TheKoreaHerald/status/1262670285834088449?s=20

well this is getting more interesting by the minute. SO they have better ppe than us and have actually put effort into their kids going back meanwhile we have Norma missing in action and no online curriculum and a taoiseach who is acting as Min for Agriculture and Education it looks like.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

AstraZeneca starts Covid-19 antibody drug trial in UK which could be utilized as both vaccine and treatment-https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/aug/25/astrazeneca-covid-19-antibody-drug-trial-volunteers-vaccine

Fingers crossed it goes well and can then be fast tracked.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,324 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

khalessi wrote:
    well this is getting more interesting by the minute. SO they have better ppe than us and have actually put effort into their kids going back meanwhile we have Norma missing in action and no online curriculum and a taoiseach who is acting as Min for Agriculture and Education it looks like.

I'm sure we ll have no problems!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I'm sure we ll have no problems!

Me too! shure it will be grand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hands up who or your kids has had a cough or cold or sniffle (non allergy)since March?

The answer should be no one, if we've been adhering to the advise. So when the first sign of a sniffle comes around when theyre are back in school would it not be sensible to keep them home and wait and see/get tested?
    This is mostly true, however some minor illnesses can be caused by environmental irritants, which leave the airways exposed for native pathogens to attack. So some illnesses can appear in isolation. It shouldn't be taken as an indication that the child has been exposed to someone else.

But as a general rule if the child appears at all "off" and has more than a runny nose, they should be kept home.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

When a daily case is effectively "as of yet unknown origin", and they presumably eventually decide whether it's community transmission, cluster or travel related, where do these numbers go? Are they updated in the weekly reports?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2020/0825/1161101-coronavirus-world/

More cases of people getting reinfected with COVID.

Asides from the obviously negative news this represents, how are people getting re-infected in such a short period of time? You’d of thought that a person who gets infected would be more careful. Or I suppose maybe they thought they were Bulletproof after recovering and didn’t take any precautions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Drumpot wrote: »
    You’d of thought that a person who gets infected would be more careful. Or I suppose maybe they thought they were Bulletproof after recovering and didn’t take any precautions.

You can be as careful as fcuk but there is still a chance that you can catch the virus.

You are making it sound like someone did something wrong if they catch COVID-19. That isn't always the case.

You can socially distance, wear face coverings, wash your hands every few minutes etc. and you can still be unlucky and catch the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Asides from the obviously negative news this represents, how are people getting re-infected in such a short period of time? You’d of thought that a person who gets infected would be more careful. Or I suppose maybe they thought they were Bulletproof after recovering and didn’t take any precautions.
    That's 3 in total. If it becomes more extant it's concerning but not with such tiny numbers but at least it does provide an answer of sorts to the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

seamus wrote: »
    He may not. These people often go the other way, he might start claiming she was poisoned in order to make a point.
    He's one of the rabbit hole converts, a few of those in the family! The likes of Trump, Bolsinaro and their acolytes are far more deserving of opprobrium and scorn.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    You can be as careful as fcuk but there is still a chance that you can catch the virus.

You are making it sound like someone did something wrong if they catch COVID-19. That isn't always the case.

You can socially distance, wear face coverings, wash your hands every few minutes etc. and you can still be unlucky and catch the virus.

Ah stop with the drama, I didn’t say it was anybody’s fault .

But The chances of a person catching the virus once to now is statistically very low by virtue of the simple fact most people haven’t gotten it. To get it twice in such a short amount of time is statistically improbable for most who were infected unless you are regularly taking a lot more risks then the average person or in an environment that has an increased exposure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

What does this mean for a vaccine? Will a vaccine work?

is_that_so wrote: »
    That's 3 in total. If it becomes more extant it's concerning but not with such tiny numbers but at least it does provide an answer of sorts to the question.

As I said in Above post, most people have not been infected so the statistical probability of people who have been infected and getting infected again are remote.

Well I had heard before that a vaccine may end up being like the flu jab (annual dose).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It depends on so many factors. One patient for example, is listed as being older with a weakened immune system. Which means they may be in hospital or a care home on a frequent basis, which increases their potential for exposure.

Basic statistics though says that even with all preventative measures, some people previously infected, will get exposed again.

The reinfection reports beginning to surface are basically just confirming what has always been suspected. We know from other viruses of this family, that immunity is possible but it's typically temporary. Long-term immunity from a single infection would be atypical of coronaviruses. Loss of immunity within 3-6 months was generally expected, but never confirmed. Because we're only now 6 months after the first major outbreaks.

This doesn't mean that a vaccine is less likely now. Vaccinations are more complicated than "inject the person with the illness", and long-term robust immunity can be developed using different types of vaccinations, using boosters, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,261 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

A vaccine wont get rid of it. It'll limit the effects. For example Oxford suggests it won't reach the lungs and therefore no major impact, would limit it to a cold type feeling. Perfectly acceptable as an initial vaccine.

But it may well become something you have to get each year like the flu vaccine.

This doesn't really impact vaccine production at all, the goal of the vaccine was to give as much protection as possible.

Also suggestions in some quarters that the vaccine might be more effective as a nasal vaccine but this is the whole point in trials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

The case in Hong Kong that was reported yesterday was interesting.
    It's one data point though.
    Despite that the news was "If you get it a second time you'll be asymptomatic"
    There is no evidence for that (one swallow doesn't make a summer).

We know that viral load at infection event is correlated with severity of illness and death.

You've have to reinfect a lot of people at differing viral loads to know for sure.

The whole "we knew you could get reinfected" is bullish!t.

Nobody wanted to talk about that including me despite it being probable.
    (based on my empirical evidence of getting a cold every winter since forever)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Ficheall wrote: »
    When a daily case is effectively "as of yet unknown origin", and they presumably eventually decide whether it's community transmission, cluster or travel related, where do these numbers go? Are they updated in the weekly reports?

They go straight to the HPSC epi reports. You’d have to dig, and it could be a week before all cases of unknown origin are tracked to outbreaks. That’s why community transmission isn’t as high as the press releases suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

?When you misquote, or deliberately misconstrue what someone says, its much easier to find fault, what the GP said was:

Is there somewhere I can watch this press conference again, I know exactly when she said it and will happily record/upload it for you.

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Anyone know what the story is with Romania? It's the only country in Europe that seems to have completely failed at stopping a major outbreak, now going through a second wave much worse than the first

Also, looks like the ICU discharge was the Mater, which is now covid-free. Pretty sure this is the first time since the very beginning they’ve had zero covid patients.

Hospital numbers is definitely the good news story at the moment. Hard to find positives in the other areas political leadership, community transmission, cases from June levels and anxiety re schools reopening. We will prevail, just hang in there folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

They go straight to the HPSC epi reports. You’d have to dig, and it could be a week before all cases of unknown origin are tracked to outbreaks. That’s why community transmission isn’t as high as the press releases suggest.
    Do the press releases not go off the initially released figures, i.e. the ones that have "travel/community/cluster/dunno", so after the "dunno" gets divvied up, should the community number not become higher?

Is there somewhere I can watch this press conference again, I know exactly when she said it and will happily record/upload it for you.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0824/1161047-back-to-school-coronavirus/

• Advertisement

The case in Hong Kong that was reported yesterday was interesting.
    It's one data point though.
    Despite that the news was "If you get it a second time you'll be asymptomatic"
    There is no evidence for that (one swallow doesn't make a summer).

We know that viral load at infection event is correlated with severity of illness and death.

You've have to reinfect a lot of people at differing viral loads to know for sure.

The whole "we knew you could get reinfected" is bullish!t.

Nobody wanted to talk about that including me despite it being probable.
    (based on my empirical evidence of getting a cold every winter since forever)

There are known to be 200+ different viruses that cause the common cold

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement