Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXII-30,360 in ROI(1,781 deaths) 8,035 in NI (568 deaths)(10/09)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

seanb85 wrote: »
    I'd love to know what the plan is once flu season starts.

You seem to be an expert on here, any suggestions yourself? I’m all ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

HSE Operations report.

50 covid paitents in hosptial tonight. No change on yesterday.

6 in ICU and the 6 are ventilated. No change on yesterday.

5 cases in hosptials today, 1 each in Connolly, Mater, Tallaght, Navan & Mullingar.

After children's hosptials being mentioned recently, 0 cases & patients reported in the 3 CHI hosptials

How many in UHL?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

How many in UHL?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Does it show e.g. +4/-4 if there were new admissions replacing others either released or died?

Hub shows released v discharged. Reporting 3 of each for last 24hrs.

All that's ever reported for hosptials is ICU deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

khalessi wrote: »
    Having stood in the queue yesterday waiting for kiddo to be tested, a queue which was made up of mostly kids, the testers definitely didn't look overwhelmed. It was calm, well organised and moved quickly along, while the people working there were efficient and relaxed in themselves with each other and the public.

Same experience this evening in Swords, vast majority were kids, I only saw 3 adults standing alone waiting for the test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Having stood in the queue yesterday waiting for kiddo to be tested, a queue which was made up of mostly kids, the testers definitely didn't look overwhelmed. It was calm, well organised and moved quickly along, while the people working there were efficient and relaxed in themselves with each other and the public.

By overwhelmed I don't mean incredibly busy, I mean not having the capacity to go out and test the Nursing home staff, meat plants and DP centres etc....

How many in UHL?

2 tonight.

Hospital numbers attached

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

By overwhelmed I don't mean incredibly busy, I mean not having the capacity to go out and test the Nursing home staff, meat plants and DP centres etc....

Well apparently staff from out patients are being seconded on to testing teams

HSE also advertising for community swabbers

https://www.hse.ie/eng/staff/jobs/job-search/patient-and-client-care/hbs09306-community-swabber.html

That's great, but they really shouldn't take the eye off the ball on nursing homes even if for a few days.

The fact that the 4 deaths in the recent days weren't seemingly admitted to hospitals and Dr Glynn said today they had underlying issues, leads me to suppose they are likely to be Nursing home victims.

That should be priority for testing if we want to keep the deaths down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Probably the world is in for a bumper flu season too with way more people being tested than usual and therefore more detected cases. They may decide to test those with symptoms for the flu first to rule it out before testing for covid? When my daughter was tested for flu last year, the results were ready within minutes so its a quicker way to decide if someone needs a further covid test if the flu one comes back negative. Thats what I would do anyway.

Lots of platforms like Seegene Allplex etc can test simultaneously from the one swab for the Sarbecovirus’s, Flu A, Flu B, RSV, Rhinovirus, Metapnuemovirus, Parinfluenza and Adenovirus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

That would really do the integrity of the daily reports a lot of good - “ we had 200 cases today but have to take 8 of yesterday’s and 11 off Mondays as they were tested twice. My bad, but doing it this way keeps the amateur epidemiologists on boards.ie from savaging us”

What there should in fact be is a weekly epidemiological report giving the cases by swab date, not result date, or report date. This is what would produce the most accurate figure, but there are probably only a couple of journalists in the country who would be able to get third head around it sufficiently to be able to communicate on it.
    Well until about 2 months ago, the swab figure and positive cases announced were extremely close. What ever the hell they are doing now is extremely strange.
    It's even been mentioned in the media about how the daily figures are not to be looked at too closely as it's causing anxiety.

And they constantly denotify cases and deaths and don't make a song and dance about it, so they don't have to use your silly wording to do it.
    We've had a day with 31 positive tests and 190 cases notified. Another day with 155 positive tests and only 98 cases notified. Even a few months ago the CMO when announcing new cases (it was out of the ordinary high that day) had to mention that a certain amount of those were from a previous week. (And it wasn't the matter hospital backlog)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭seanb85

Micky 32 wrote: »
    You seem to be an expert on here, any suggestions yourself? I’m all ears.

I would suggest the mass testing in nursing homes and meat plants be done via batch testing. So you pool say 200 samples and retest all individuals only if a positive arises. That's how Wuhan tested (or claimed to) test 9 million people.

In terms of capacity in the labs, buy more equipment. Hire every single medical lab scientist graduate on a 12 month covid contract. Use University labs, agriculture labs, fish farm labs. Biochem and other science graduates hire them, and show them how to do covid tests, give them 12 month contracts and offer them free post grads once this is over. Emergency response needs more than just saying things are too difficult. Figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Why would they be worried about infecting a class? Guidelines suggest anything other than a runny nose the child has to stay at home, regardless of if they will require a test or just have to wait 2 days to see if symptoms clear.

Depends on the guidelines .
    Look at the HSPC graphic reposted for Scoondal earlier .
    Some are told to call GP to get tested , eg if contact with a known case or someone with a history of travel .
    That would be quite a few at the minute .
    By the way these are not my guidelines :)
    I was just responding to the poster calling people hypochondriacs , when they are probably just doing what they have been told .

2 tonight.

Hospital numbers attached

So the Children's hospital one in Tallaght was released already....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Surely there’s surge capacity? You’re doing 70k tests a week. Contact Germany, get them on board again, raise to 100k. The nonsense about capacity is beyond a joke.

I would say they are still using Germans anyway, this might explain why you get a larger tally on Saturdays and Tuesdays and the reports that some results takes 72 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

wowzer wrote: »
    Same experience this evening in Swords, vast majority were kids, I only saw 3 adults standing alone waiting for the test.

Looks like kids getting their usual sniffles and temps is really going to clog up testing unless there is a change of tack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Worried parents with sick children , not knowing if they will infect a class, are not hypochondriacs .

The child shouldn't be going to school if they have symptoms regardless of a test.

Looks like kids getting their usual sniffles and temps is really going to clog up testing unless there is a change of tack.

It's ridiculous because if Kids are getting sniffles and their parents aren't it's obviously a cold and not covid...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Good graph here by yer man Higgins. Only issue is he has used electoral map and not HSE zones like the CMO referenced.

https://twitter.com/higginsdavidw/status/1303804786937135106?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Kids should be kept at home until their sniffles are gone. No need to test them unless they have a condition that makes them vulnerable to the virus

Wasn't clogged up in my experience, only 3 adults were there by themselves when kiddo getting swabbed.

US2 wrote: »
    The child shouldn't be going to school if they have symptoms regardless of a test.

Especially as a cold is probably more deadly to their classmates than Covid-19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Test people who are sick, or sick enough to end up needing medical attention.

We've now stopped testing the most vunrable so we can test the least vunrable. Madnees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Wasn't clogged up in my experience, only 3 adults were there by themselves when kiddo getting swabbed.

You do realise that there are more testing centres than the one you were at and they are open all day?

Good graph here by yer man Higgins. Only issue is he has used electoral map and not HSE zones like the CMO referenced.

https://twitter.com/higginsdavidw/status/1303804786937135106?s=21

Fairly close still.
    Dublin south east for HSE is,
    Sandymount, Ballsbridge, Ranelagh, Donnybrook, Milltown, Dundrum, Ballinteer, Sandyford, & Kilternan

Kids should be kept at home until their sniffles are gone. No need to test them unless they have a condition that makes them vulnerable to the virus

No kids should be tested like everyone else. There are a list of symptoms and if they have them they should be tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

That's great, but they really shouldn't take the eye off the ball on nursing homes even if for a few days.

The fact that the 4 deaths in the recent days weren't seemingly admitted to hospitals and Dr Glynn said today they had underlying issues, leads me to suppose they are likely to be Nursing home victims.

That should be priority for testing if we want to keep the deaths down.

Yes, this should be a priority. And testing every two weeks is unlikely in itself to do much to stop outbreaks. Testing would need to done be at least twice a week to have a meaningful impact, according to modelling. (Link)

The University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign is averaging almost 10,000 tests a day and is testing all students and staff twice a week (link). It can be done.

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Well until about 2 months ago, the swab figure and positive cases announced were extremely close. What ever the hell they are doing now is extremely strange.
    It's even been mentioned in the media about how the daily figures are not to be looked at too closely as it's causing anxiety.

And they constantly denotify cases and deaths and don't make a song and dance about it, so they don't have to use your silly wording to do it.
    We've had a day with 31 positive tests and 190 cases notified. Another day with 155 positive tests and only 98 cases notified. Even a few months ago the CMO when announcing new cases (it was out of the ordinary high that day) had to mention that a certain amount of those were from a previous week. (And it wasn't the matter hospital backlog)

But the vast majority of the country pay no attention to the daily swab data, also this is raw, unreviewed data so is more appropriate to let the review match and report cases once compiled, than in a raw state. Can you imagine if someone was to ask in a briefing as to how Dublin or wherever the latest hotspot was doing, and they had to reply, honestly, that “as x% results had not been matched yet to the area as review was still in process, we are unable to provide that information“

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Depends on the guidelines .
    Look at the HSPC graphic reposted for Scoondal earlier .
    Some are told to call GP to get tested , eg if contact with a known case or someone with a history of travel .
    That would be quite a few at the minute .
    By the way these are not my guidelines :)
    I was just responding to the poster calling people hypochondriacs , when they are probably just doing what they have been told .
    I'd say GP's are just referring most for testing to air on the side of caution. It just appears that it all happening at once, despite schools being back at all different times.
    You want everyone tested that needs a test, but you don't want people wasting a test that don't need one.
    It's a fine line to thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement