Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXII-30,360 in ROI(1,781 deaths) 8,035 in NI (568 deaths)(10/09)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭inthenip

Yes and they can stick up a ban on truck traffic at the drop of a hat for certain roads, similar can be done for diesel cars.

But Windows are open in schools six months of the year regardless of Covid.

There not going to open Windows when it's Baltic outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

inthenip wrote: »
    But Windows are open in schools six months of the year regardless of Covid.

There not going to open Windows when it's Baltic outside.

Oh we will and we have been told we can teach in coats but rooms have to be ventilated

• Registered Users Posts: 82,415 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There's about 10 TD's, journalists and media personalities in the entire country who ask realistic questions challenging the absolute rubbish we are being served by this government way out of its depth, the rest are pure cowards.

Honourable mentions to...
    Michael McNamara
    Mattie McGrath
    Ivan Yates
    Michael Healy-Rae
    Niall Boylan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Pooled sampling generally uses 5-10 samples and would save on reagents.

Its main use is for larger cohorts with low infection prevalence, of which we have many.

And I thought that the reason that PCR was the 'gold standard' (despite the false negative rate from poor swabbing/different sites of infection) was because of its ability to detect and amplify a tiny amount of genomic material.

https://twitter.com/LindorffLarsen/status/1303665855381860353

Germany has Autopoolers on front of their 88s, think they use 6:1 that’s why they have the capability 400,000 per day. Some other countries use 10:1, 4:1 etc.

You are right 10:1 is the most I heard, but most countries would be pooling by hand 2:1/3:1 the danger is making mistakes and of course exposure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

There's about 10 TD's, journalists and media personalities in the entire country who ask realistic questions challenging the absolute rubbish we are being served by this government way out of its depth, the rest are pure cowards.

Michael McNamara
    Mattie McGrath
    Ivan Yates
    Michael Healy-Rae
    Niall Boylan

That is some list :pac: If I ever found myself on the same side as that group I would be asking myself serious questions.

• Advertisement

According to the HSE, the mean turnaround time from swab to result for community samples is 33.5 hours.

Surely that'd be longer if swabs were being sent to Germany.

It’s possible, even if it goes to Germany which is only a few hours away two shipments per week the Germans are well equipped and very efficient. It only takes 3hrs to complete a batch, they could have results back same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

That is some list :pac: If I ever found myself on the same side as that group I would be asking myself serious questions.

Haha..the bould Mattie, and the Healy Raes , lol :))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Haha..the bould Mattie, and the Healy Raes , lol :))

Let's not forget Ivan.

https://twitter.com/HangBlaa/status/1271203650736721920

• Registered Users Posts: 86,256 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Scoondal wrote: »
    Do we still have to be "referred" by a GP to get a test ?
    I contacted our GP on Monday because my son was coughing with a 38 degree temperature. Since then, nothing. Can I bring him to get a test without a GP "referral" ?

Yes your GP must refer / arrange, call your GP, the call and test is free

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Jaded Walker

Well if you weren't on that list you would be on a list with Martin, Varadkar, Harris et al and you'd be asking yourself even more serious questions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Why are practices like opening all the windows in school classrooms within built up areas accepted as solutions to preserve health? These schools will be overcome with diesel and wood burning stove emissions that will cause much more health damage to children than Covid ever would.

This is definitely an issue worth mentioning so kudos to you. In fact is an issue for anyone who lives within one km of a major road / motorway. Very good article in the LA times.While Dublin not comparable to LA for lots of reasons we do also build apartments way to close to the motorways.

Keeping windows closed in winter would be a disaster. They need to be open 100% in the vast majority of schools. I do agree it's an issue and should be mitigated for. You could open windows etc when traffic lulls i.e most of the day. Being aware of the prevailing wind and if downwind of a motorway/airport etc should be accounted for. This bad air gets in anyway whether window open or closed.
    Schools that have issues with air quality should be highlighted and resources allocated. Ventilation with filters is a thing and does work. Anybody who notices bad air in the evenings from fires starting etc and who has young children investing in an air purifier is a good way to go. They are inexpensive and will probably increase your Childs life expectancy. Now Ireland is exceptionally windy which is an asset in a crisis like this so pollution doesn't build up in the same way it does in other countries.

We should demand to monitor air quality in schools if situated close to motorway etc. We currently don't so we don't know.
    You can monitor here. Lots around Ireland.
    https://aqicn.org/map/europe/

525845.jpg

I've seen creches here which back onto M50 which is probably curtailing the lives of lots of kids. Wouldn't happen in other countries as it's so blinding dangerous.
    Stick an air quality monitor there and I guarantee there wouldn't be a creche. There is a gap in regulation at the moment though so nobody checks.

outdoor air:
    https://www.latimes.com/projects/la-me-freeway-pollution/

indoor air is also dangerous especially to kids

indoor air:
    https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200909-why-indoor-air-pollution-is-an-overlooked-problem

Michael McNamara
    Mattie McGrath
    Ivan Yates
    Michael Healy-Rae
    Niall Boylan

As for this I disagree. :D

A great bunch of lads......
    No conflict of interests at all at all at all....
    Please

With 37% of people overweight here and 23% obese, this is worth taking note of.

https://twitter.com/alinouriphd/status/1303848315738640386?s=21

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 466 ✭✭DangerScouse

Michael McNamara
    Mattie McGrath
    Ivan Yates
    Michael Healy-Rae
    Niall Boylan

A right list of cranks and nutjobs that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭prunudo

A right list of cranks and nutjobs that.

If those are the traits that we need in people to hold politicians and people in influential positions to account then so be it.
    Just because someone holds opposing views or goes against the grain of popular opinion doesn't make them cranks, nutjobs or tinfoil hat wearing antivaxxers as I commonly see them being referred to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 IHaveTheFlag

I don't mean to sound callous or cruel but you can hardly expect to Chow down on pie and chips every day and not have it go consequence free regarding your health.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭patnor1011

I wonder how many of current positive cases are not really positive?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/29/health/coronavirus-testing.html

Times says that PCR tests are “diagnosing huge numbers of people who may be carrying relatively insignificant amounts of the virus,” the fact of the matter is that PCR tests are diagnosing huge numbers of people who have none of the virus at all.

Testing data from Massachusetts, New York, Nevada, and elsewhere shows that upwards of 90 percent of people who test positive for the Wuhan coronavirus (COVID-19) are not actually infected with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Yes your GP must refer / arrange, call your GP, the call and test is free

Also I believe it can be any GP

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I don't mean to sound callous or cruel but you can hardly expect to Chow down on pie and chips every day and not have it go consequence free regarding your health.

Obesity is more a complex psychological issue than anything, those that find themselves in such situations, actually need psychological guidence, in order to better their situation, we tend not to generally implement this step, but rather somewhat shame those that find themselves obese

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Scoondal wrote: »
    Do we still have to be "referred" by a GP to get a test ?
    I contacted our GP on Monday because my son was coughing with a 38 degree temperature. Since then, nothing. Can I bring him to get a test without a GP "referral" ?

Ring another gp

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

patnor1011 wrote: »

Times says that PCR tests are “diagnosing huge numbers of people who may be carrying relatively insignificant amounts of the virus,” the fact of the matter is that PCR tests are diagnosing huge numbers of people who have none of the virus at all.

Testing data from Massachusetts, New York, Nevada, and elsewhere shows that upwards of 90 percent of people who test positive for the Wuhan coronavirus (COVID-19) are not actually infected with it.

So are they saying that with the increased testing over last couple of months that we could be catching thousands of people that were asymptomatic a few months ago - is it possible that we are measuring a problem that doesn't really exist bar clearly new cases? Can they (or are they) measure the amount of virus in these PCR tests and see how many daily cases have significant amounts of virus?

• Advertisement

Yeah you do. Obesity is a problem in to this country. Covid is a problem in this country. Covid and Obesity is a compounding problem for this country.

You could equally say.

"you can't expect to chronically underfund your health service and education service and not expect a large part of your economy to be crippled in a public health crisis"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Looks like travel restrictions set to be significantly relaxed that we'll sign up to the EUs traffic light system

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

Looks like travel restrictions set to be significantly relaxed that we'll sign up to the EUs traffic light system

I think this makes sense. It’s very confusing having different rules in different countries such as at present. Most people won’t travel without good reason I think.

( there’ll always be a few of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

It had at last dawned on them that the airline industry is in danger of implosion imminently

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Great. Govt leak or official announcement? I would have thought very difficult to resist - after the Hogan affair we were a target as a country with inconsistent standards and mixed messaging.

patnor1011 wrote: »

You should write a strongly worded letter to the Irish government explaining that Ireland only really had 3000 cases, the other 27,000 were not infected at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

What good that will hopefully come out of this is lower obesity rates/better diet and people spending more time outdoors. Physical and mental health benefits would be significant

Yeah you do. Obesity is a problem in to this country. Covid is a problem in this country. Covid and Obesity is a compounding problem for this country.

You could equally say.

"you can't expect to chronically underfund your health service and education service and not expect a large part of your economy to be crippled in a public health crisis"

It's a problem and it's mostly down to people's greed. The health services are underfunded but think of all the money that's wasted on illnesses that are 100% preventable. But of course it's everyone else's fault. It always is.

Gael23 wrote: »
    It had at last dawned on them that the airline industry is in danger of implosion imminently

Only took 6 months, things are improving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

wadacrack wrote: »
    What good that will hopefully come out of this is lower obesity rates/better diet and people spending more time outdoors. Physical and mental health benefits would be significant
    That is doubtful, given how few people overall have been affected by COVID. As nutritionists will tell you the hardest part is persuading people to undergo the lifestyle changing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement