Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXII-30,360 in ROI(1,781 deaths) 8,035 in NI (568 deaths)(10/09)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

Surely the meat factories have a higher level of immunity now that will limit any spread from them. Need to be thinking where the virus is going, not where it has been, schools are where any excess capacity should be used, starting with the teachers.

That seems to make sense. Though I think regular testing should continue in nursing homes - they're the tinderbox when it comes to infections and I imagine there are still many vulnerable residents who have no immunity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 466 ✭✭DangerScouse

Not a hope . Nov/Dec 2020

So you think in two months time.

Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Someone calling out the tests vs cases announced

https://twitter.com/ConorRiordan2/status/1303978909856337920?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

I was very sick. My eldest had some symptoms including loss of taste and temperature. Mother in law also contracted it.

That's interesting. Who was the first with symptoms i.e. do you think you passed it on to your eldest and MIL or did it come from them?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I bet their share price went up when they were positive about it too

All you have to take a look at is the vaccine thread, the announcements and papers have been linked there by some very well informed posters.

If a companies vaccine is showing good promise then its affects share price. Likewise if negative.

So far there will be little if any profit made from vaccines. Most appear to be being made to cost

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Who is he though?

I’ll eat my hat if it happens but I can’t see it

With or without Ketchup?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Based on that chart, there was 140 more cases reported than positive tests in the 7 days from Weds 2nd to Tues 8th. This has become a real chicken v egg situation.

I bet their share price went up when they were positive about it too

Share price down 2 dollars in the past month, 80cents in the past 5 days. Any vaccine will represent a small fraction of the revenue of a company as large as Pfizer

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Share price down 2 dollars in the past month, 80cents in the past 5 days. Any vaccine will represent a small fraction of the revenue of a company as large as Pfizer

I've bought and sold Abbot already when I first heard of the rapid testing probably should have held out for more profit as it's been ticking along nicely.
    Took an age to get out of Pfizer wouldn't be in a rush to buy that again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

alentejo wrote: »
    I suspect this Irish wave will start to subside in October and continue to mid December.

It will then re-emerge in January & Feb which could be quite bad and tapper off as we get to Spring.

I agree

Once you get it in...it’s an absolute bastard to get rid off.

Increase travel and social gatherings due to Xmas and the cold damp weather is going have potential for a fairly grim Christmas. Factor in the usual BS of people sick, having accidents, drinking too much and trying neck themselves...all the stuff of the silly season and the hospitals on a normal year are extremely busy.

I think the government will be reluctant to have any sort of lockdown at the moment maybe rolling back some restrictions....they be saving the break glass emergency lockdown until it’s really needed although I hope it won’t come to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I've bought and sold Abbot already when I first heard of the rapid testing probably should have held out for more profit as it's been ticking along nicely.
    Took an age to get out of Pfizer wouldn't be in a rush to buy that again.

i think dan ariely is spot on about shares, try not sell when markets are highly volatile

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Who is he though?

Like many engineers and supply chain managers, he's on twitter and has been commentating a lot on the pandemic, with decent charts/analysis. But that aside, he's followed by a few journalists too.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    i think dan ariely is spot on about shares, try not sell when markets are highly volatile

Abbott is the only thing I bought and sold throughout this, was going to put the house into disney when it dipped below $90 it was a steal. Happy enough with how the market bounced back though not any worse off at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

Surely the meat factories have a higher level of immunity now that will limit any spread from them. Need to be thinking where the virus is going, not where it has been, schools are where any excess capacity should be used, starting with the teachers.

Even when these fools were told where the virus was going eg nursing homes meat factories and direct provision centres they did nothing only sat on their hands and hoped it mightn’t happen.

That worked out well in the end didn’t it.....

All reactivate in this country with regards the virus. Learned nothing from others failures.

You can never get ahead if you’re always behind.

But..... They’re doing a fantastic job as many many people seem to think 🀔

Even when these fools were told where the virus was going eg nursing homes meat factories and direct provision centres they did nothing only sat on their hands and hoped it mightn’t happen.

All reactivate in this country with regards the virus. Learned nothing from others failures.

But..... They’re doing a fantastic job as many many people seem to think ��

theyre doing a reasonable job, but fcuk ups will occur, probably similar in other countries

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

But..... They’re doing a fantastic job as many many people seem to think ��

Aren't you Anti -mask ?

So your giving out they have done nothing but when they ask you to do something your against it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

Aren't you Anti -mask ?

So your giving out they have done nothing but when they ask you to do something your against it :rolleyes:

I’m anti bullsh1t and they way this is been handled since change of government and cmo is grade A bullsh1t

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 466 ✭✭DangerScouse

JDD wrote: »
    That's interesting. Who was the first with symptoms i.e. do you think you passed it on to your eldest and MIL or did it come from them?

We think i had it first as was abroad with work week previous to first symptoms appearing. Worth noting mother in law who is in her 70's tested positive but had no symptoms to speak of besides runny nose.

I’m anti bullsh1t and they way this is been handled since change of government and cmo is grade A bullsh1t

all governments bullsh1t, all goverments fcuk up in many ways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Like many engineers and supply chain managers, he's on twitter and has been commentating a lot on the pandemic, with decent charts/analysis. But that aside, he's followed by a few journalists too.

Here's Paul Cullen from the Irish Times today calling for better data

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/public-covid-19-data-not-giving-clear-picture-of-current-trends-1.4350798

Abuse of power it was called yesterday, media doing a blinder on not reporting the real news, the Government took the absolute preverbial with us.
    Micheal McNamara is about to blow it soon if this continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Pat Kenny and Luke O'Neill talking about BCG again, plenty of trials going on, can you request it from your doctor, we've 2 in the house haven't had it as it was scrapped.

BCG is no longer available in Ireland as far as I’m aware

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

That’s a very blinkered view of obesity, it’s not that simple.

Eat more calories than you burn and you gain weight , it is that simple.

US2 wrote: »

physically, yes, psychologically, no

Interesting analysis of what's happening if you've the time...first 15minutes will tell you a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

From the article:
    "The department said yesterday it was “not feasible” for the HPSC to provide 14-day incidence rate breakdowns by electoral area, given its heavy workload. Even a request from The Irish Times for separate figures for Limerick city and county could not be met."

There's something wrong with the way they're operating if they can't provide this information on an up-to-date basis. By now they should easily have automation in place to handle this data. Should be a click of a button to provide this information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Longing

US2 wrote: »

Not really. People who suffer from Hypothyroidism will gain weight no matter if they take 100 calories a day and if you suffer from hyperthyroidism you can eat all the chocolate and McDonalds you like and still be a bag of bones.

Longing wrote: »
    Not really. People who suffer from Hypothyroidism will gain weight no matter if they take 100 calories a day and if you suffer from hyperthyroidism you can eat all the chocolate and McDonalds you like and still be a bag of bones.

some anti-depressants can cause weight gain as well, probably loads of meds out there that do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

From the article:
    "The department said yesterday it was “not feasible” for the HPSC to provide 14-day incidence rate breakdowns by electoral area, given its heavy workload. Even a request from The Irish Times for separate figures for Limerick city and county could not be met."

There's something wrong with the way they're operating if they can't provide this information on an up-to-date basis. By now they should easily have automation in place to handle this data. Should be a click of a button to provide this information.

Yeah, they have something called CIDR in place for just this kind of thing.
    Clearly they don't have the expertise to get the most from it.

And if they can't operate their own systems well enough, they should release the raw data (anonymised) so that we can do it for them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement