Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXII-30,360 in ROI(1,781 deaths) 8,035 in NI (568 deaths)(10/09)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

El Sueño wrote: »
    Do you have examples of this? Someone that's completely asymptomatic losing a limb or getting brain damage would surely be international news?

The poster is taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

US2 wrote: »
    People with no symptoms can still lose limbs or have permanent brain damage.

Sure.... If they crash their car, fall down the stairs etc.. after testing positive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Kalyke wrote: »
    Where is yourdeadwright?

Got called into a last minute department meeting. he'll get back to his duty of quieting the speculation on manipulation of figures by releasing the real figures early, at the soonest opportunity . :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I’d really love it if someone did a proper study on how effectively asymptomatic carriers passed the virus compared to symptomatic ones.

We all know that presymptomatic and symptomatic have proved to be super spreaders but we have no real idea about Asymptomatic ones and they are the most likely not to be detected.

I’d really love it if someone did a proper study on how effectively asymptomatic carriers passed the virus compared to symptomatic ones.

We all know that presymptomatic and symptomatic have proved to be super spreaders but we have no real idea about Asymptomatic ones and they are the most likely not to be detected.

Apparently only 4 of 80 something confirmed cases in staff at O'Briens Fine Foods were symptomatic either before or after positive test. Given those numbers it is highly unlikely that all the cases were linked to the 4 symptomatic cases

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

seamus wrote: »

Combined with the initial data now confirming that developed immunity only lasts a few months, this tells us that ultimately a zero-Covid policy is a suppression policy, not an elimination one.

Any links to the immunity confirmation data?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

seamus wrote: »
    Combined with the initial data now confirming that developed immunity only lasts a few months
    I think you may be misinterpreting data, there's been no such findings. Antibody levels decline after infection which is normal, but the jury is still out on how long immunity will last for.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Apparently only 4 of 80 something confirmed cases in staff at O'Briens Fine Foods were symptomatic either before or after positive test. Given those numbers it is highly unlikely that all the cases were linked to the 4 symptomatic cases

I think you’ve presumed my conclusion.
    I simply don’t know.
    Neither does anyone I guess and it’s a hard one to reach conclusions on because you’d probably have to but I infected people into close contact with Asymptomatic and Symptomatic carriers.

Apparently only 4 of 80 something confirmed cases in staff at O'Briens Fine Foods were symptomatic.

Virus could be weakening?

Seems like alot of people now with no symptoms or not needing a hospital.

First known case in Ireland was a farmer in Cork in his early 40s with no known underlying conditions who presented with symptoms in a Cork hospital in February. He died several weeks later. It was found at a much later date he was covid positive.Plenty of people in his category now getting infected and not many hospitalisations/deaths. Seems very odd he was the first known case and then went on to die given his age and health.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

I was under the crazy assumption that when you become immune to a virus or a bacterium you could still get infected by the disease but your immune system mounts a quick defence and prevents replication/reproduction, hence you don't get the symptoms or get very little symptoms and the disease stops spreading because you represent a dead end?

• Advertisement

I was under the crazy assumption that when you become immune to a virus or a bacterium you could still get infected by the disease but your immune system mounts a quick defence and prevents replication/reproduction, hence you don't get the symptoms or get very little symptoms and the disease stops spreading because you represent a dead end?

2 routes in simple terms -immunity - specific antibodies circulate in the body neutralising any matching pathogen before it can do anything.
    resistance - t cells retain a memory of the pathogen and should the same pathogen or very similar arise it can trigger the creation of specific anti bodies. It acts slower however so mild infection is possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Got called into a last minute department meeting. he'll get back to his duty of quieting the speculation on manipulation of figures by releasing the real figures early, at the soonest opportunity . :D

Don't put him off. I think it's great. Early notification. Can eat me dinner in peace.

Virus could be weakening?

Seems like alot of people now with no symptoms or not needing a hospital.

First known case in Ireland was a farmer in Cork in his early 40s with no known underlying conditions who presented with symptoms in a Cork hospital in February. He died several weeks later. It was found at a much later date he was covid positive.Plenty of people in his category now getting infected and not many hospitalisations/deaths.

The virus doesn't weaken. It is possible strong selective pressure due to restrictions has resulted in random mutations of the virus which create a less serious reaction in those infected is becoming more prevalent. Its not the virus weakening however, its adapting to a more hostile environment. In this scenario however the more serious "strains" also remain in circulation, and without mapping the genones you would not know which version an individual may have. There is also nothing to prevent a random mutation making one of the "weaker" strains more deadly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Proof that the quarantine for was an absolute joke. If elected representatives didn't give a ****, why would Joe soap.
    Spain has 6 times the level of infection.

Wonder where the community transmission came from?

https://twitter.com/_FeachNews/status/1296820102382452736?s=20

524230.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

A bit harsh. He's eating humble pie now by the video he posted. This guy single handedly kept world athletics from losing all credibility in the last 15 years. He made a mistake, plenty others have too.

A mistake is when you put too much salt in your bolognese. Having that sort of party in the middle of a pandemic isn't a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Gruffalox wrote: »
    Don't put him off. I think it's great. Early notification. Can eat me dinner in peace.

Agreed. I hate waiting so long, much better knowing earlier in the day.

Gruffalox wrote: »

Yes we should start a petition to have cases announced at 2.30 like NI. Waiting all day for the numbers is not acceptable given they already know them :pac::pac:

A mistake is when you put too much salt in your bolognese. Having that sort of party in the middle of a pandemic isn't a mistake.

It was outdoors.

Proof that the quarantine for was an absolute joke. If elected representatives didn't give a ****, why would Joe soap.
    Spain has 6 times the level of infection.

Wonder where the community transmission came from?

https://twitter.com/_FeachNews/status/1296820102382452736?s=20

524230.jpg

Its not just politicians. Kenneth Egan was on off the ball last night talking about having to find a way to watch the Katie Taylor fight Saturday night in Cork. Got it in the sitting room of the B&B he was staying in. All good.
    Only problem, 7 nights earlier he was in the corner for Eric Donovan's fight in the UK

The virus doesn't weaken. It is possible strong selective pressure due to restrictions has resulted in random mutations of the virus which create a less serious reaction in those infected is becoming more prevalent. Its not the virus weakening however, its adapting to a more hostile environment. In this scenario however the more serious "strains" also remain in circulation, and without mapping the genones you would not know which version an individual may have. There is also nothing to prevent a random mutation making one of the "weaker" strains more deadly

Sounds like your saying the same thing only worded better. :cool:

• Advertisement

Sounds like your saying the same thing only worded better. :cool:

There is also a theory that restrictions can result in a stronger Virus, as if it is being suppressed, less mutations are happening, therefore a lower chance of a less serious strain emerging, or even if it does it quickly dies out and doesn't become the dominant strain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Its not just politicians. Kenneth Egan was on off the ball last night talking about having to find a way to watch the Katie Taylor fight Saturday night in Cork. Got it in the sitting room of the B&B he was staying in. All good.
    Only problem, 7 nights earlier he was in the corner for Eric Donovan's fight in the UK

And he's another elected politician!

And he's another elected politician!

Forgot about that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Might not get those early numbers today

https://twitter.com/zaraking/status/1298234952522387458?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    Any links to the immunity confirmation data?
    hmmm wrote: »
    I think you may be misinterpreting data, there's been no such findings. Antibody levels decline after infection which is normal, but the jury is still out on how long immunity will last for.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2020/0825/1161101-coronavirus-world/

I worded my post poorly, I meant to say "apparently confirming" as opposed to actually confirmed. We don't have definite data on how long immunity lasts, but the credible reinfection reports emerging would suggest that the long-mooted timeframe of ~6 months is about right for Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Hazmat fire brigades outside apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Sounds like the actions of a fellow traveller with the "NPHET Nazis" brigade

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Grueller Baby

A bit of coke to spur them into action.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Sounds like the actions of a fellow traveller with the "NPHET Nazis" brigade

Could also be a teacher that doesn't want to go back to school. Lots of people on both sides now disagreeing with NPHET/government.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement