Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXII-30,360 in ROI(1,781 deaths) 8,035 in NI (568 deaths)(10/09)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Still just 6 people in ICU. How long is this lag ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Meanwhile meat plant factories go untested...

11,000 tests were carried out on meat plant workers with a positivity rate of 0.3%. They have been tested.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/direct-provision-meat-plant-contracts-5198329-Sep2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

il gatto wrote: »
    Hospitalisations will lag behind by weeks. Deaths even longer. People don’t drop dead from Covid. It takes them weeks of suffering first.

The majority of symptom onset are seen in 5-6 days. Who Source.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

il gatto wrote: »
    The behaviour of patrons having a meal and a night on the piss are two different planets. Getting people with a few drinks in to social distance, wash their hands, not share drinks or cigarettes, not shout in each other’s faces, not spray spittle all over the poor staff, not spit on security etc etc is almost impossible.

Maybe in your part of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Still just 6 people in ICU. How long is this lag ?

Hospital numbers down a few from previous days too but yet all the talk is of further restrictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Most assays have 40-45 cycles. Labs should determine the limit of detection of their particular assay so they know at what point to cut off and not call it ‘detected’ past a certain Ct.

There’s a lot of talk now about the Ct values (at what cycle amplification occurs) and people seem to be linking it to viral load but they shouldn’t do that.

A very high Ct could be dead RNA or could also be a badly taken swab with viral material present but needs further amplification to be detected.
    A Ct value itself cannot be directly interpreted as viral load without a standard curve using reference materials, like controls. Thorough evaluation and validation of the standard curve is the key to accurately quantify the expected viral copy number, which should be done in each lab.

We must have a policy in place for the public testing, do you know what it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Back in early December I had a bad dose of something and it really knocked the bejayus out of me.

Now this might be a load of horse**** but bare with me,

I train a lot and keep logs of session from weights to running and so on but I also keep a track on how I feel during each session

I read the other night that lots of people now think the virus was here since December so I had a look at how I was feeling training ,I noticed since that dose in December if I leave 3 days between running and do my first run again at about 1 k in I start coughing up and snooting out lots of flem which last for about for about 1k ,

This is constant all through the summer time even in the great weather and I looked back and no mention at all of this pre the dose I got in December,

I wonder did I come across Covid in December and just not know and when I leave running for a few days it's causing a build up of ****e in me , that is forced out in the next run , its very strange,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

GooglePlus wrote: »
    I might be mistaken in my observation but over a few of your posts, I get the impression that you relish in the fact that case numbers are higher in Dublin?

Anyway, that's been the case from day one and will always be the case given the population but it won't take much for it to spill over elsewhere.
    What? Dublin’s numbers are ridiculous. Do you disagree?

Son - 2YO was diagnosed with a cold at weekend. He caught it in creche.

Typical symptoms of cold. Rang out of hours Doctor and they took him in and happy it was a cold. I've now caught the cold from him.

Have similar symptoms as him without the cough though. Safe for me to go to work?

You have a cold, went through our house about 2 weeks ago. Chatting to a pharmacist yesterday and they said it's very common at the moment. Probably worth bouncing it off your employer, they probably don't want you passing the cold around as it'll trigger a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

I know we've been talking about Cork doing well, looks like there's foreign interference for that! :pac:

Xi Jinping launches video promoting Cork tourism to 1.4 billion Chinese people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Most assays have 40-45 cycles. Labs should determine the limit of detection of their particular assay so they know at what point to cut off and not call it ‘detected’ past a certain Ct.

There’s a lot of talk now about the Ct values (at what cycle amplification occurs) and people seem to be linking it to viral load but they shouldn’t do that.

A very high Ct could be dead RNA or could also be a badly taken swab with viral material present but needs further amplification to be detected.
    A Ct value itself cannot be directly interpreted as viral load without a standard curve using reference materials, like controls. Thorough evaluation and validation of the standard curve is the key to accurately quantify the expected viral copy number, which should be done in each lab.

Really appreciate your input. So you could run excess cycles to pick up dead virus but each lab runs their CT cycle against a control so it wouldn't be common to pick up dead virus?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

What? Dublin’s numbers are ridiculous. Do you disagree?

They're quite high, I definitely agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Back in early December I had a bad dose of something and it really knocked the bejayus out of me.

I train a lot and keep logs of session from weights to running and so on but I also keep a track on how I feel during each session

I read the other night that lots of people now think the virus was here since December so I had a look at how I was feeling training ,I noticed since that dose in December if I leave 3 days between running and do my first run again at about 1 k in I start coughing up and snooting out lots of flem which last for about for about 1k ,

This is constant all through the summer time even in the great weather and I looked back and no mention at all of this pre the dose I got in December,

I wonder did I come across Covid in December and just not know and when I leave running for a few days it's causing a build up of ****e in me , that is forced out in the next run , its very strange,

No you don’t have it.
    As I tell everyone if we have had COVID in our country in December there’d be thousands more dead over Xmas and I think someone would have noticed a drastic rise in deaths and our hospitals would have caved under.

Blazer wrote: »
    No you don’t have it.
    As I tell everyone if we have had COVID in our country in December there’d be thousands more dead over Xmas and I think someone would have noticed a drastic rise in deaths and our hospitals would have caved under.

France had it in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

GooglePlus wrote: »
    They're quite high, I definitely agree?
    Why would I “relish” high numbers in Dublin? That’s a ridiculous observation, let’s be honest.

We must have a policy in place for the public testing, do you know what it is?

I'm not sure I know what you mean. I'm not aware of any particular policy.

Symptomatic people refer themselves via GP.
    Clusters are tracked, traced and mass tested if necessary.
    Vulnerable settings like care homes will be routinely mass tested.
    Some capacity probably ear marked for schools if necessary.

People are throwing out the 100,000 capacity line and that its not being lived up to. That's around 15,000 a day.

It'd be great if there was a steady stream of referrals and workload each day but there isnt. There will be surges, and that will breach capacity.

On Monday there were 13,000 referrals along with 3k+ tests done in hospitals. That's already over the daily capacity and has a knock on effect for the rest of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

I know we've been talking about Cork doing well, looks like there's foreign interference for that! :pac:

Xi Jinping launches video promoting Cork tourism to 1.4 billion Chinese people

Maybe Michael O Leary could set up direct flights

:P

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Really appreciate your input. So you could run excess cycles to pick up dead virus but each lab runs their CT cycle against a control so it wouldn't be common to pick up dead virus?

Yes, labs should determine their own limit of detection and Ct threshold based on their own controls and validation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

If anyone wants some Thursday afternoon comedy it seems like FF have lost the rag this afternoon.

https://twitter.com/McConnellDaniel/status/1304049941199949825?s=19

https://twitter.com/McConnellDaniel/status/1304054558814015489?s=19

That McSharry guy is a loud mouthed arrogant pxxxk who MM needs to get the Whip at !
    How dare he criticise a public servant in the Dail like that , for just doing his fxxxing job!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Maybe you dug into that lifetime supply of cigerettes you got for Xmas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Blazer wrote: »
    No you don’t have it.

I still think there's something to it. Everyone said our first case was end of Feb, same in UK and France, but they've found earlier cases in retrospect. While people are pondering this, the argument is well it was only in Wuhan in December. But it was only noticed in Wuhan then.

It might take a long time for it to build up to the point where it is noticed. It could explain why we've 150-300 announced cases daily but 'only' 50 in hospital and 6 in ICU. Everyone is wondering why the deaths and hospitalisations are low now, but they're only low when compared with uncovered case count. Who knows what we really had in March.

I've seen some graphs where people overlay potential numbers on top of actual numbers based on IFR or seroprevalnce, but one thing that bugs me is that they're always bound by Feb and May, how do we know this wasnt bubbling here far earlier? and while the real peak may be much higher, we don't know how steep it is if we don't know the start point.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Yes your quite right doctors all over Europe are lieing to us that hospitals have small numbers of very sick covid patients. Italian, Spanish and English ICU doctors all conspiring against us that there are very few people sick with covid in their hospitals. Yet people like Anthony Staines are totally on the money with their "PROJECTIONS".

I sincerely doubt that any doctor worth his salt would be advising his patients not to take a vaccine for a dangerous contagious virus or denying the impact of this in a country like Spain .

I think as doctors go I would be moving to another.

He is probably like a Gerry Killeen , but at the opposite end of the spectrum..

Why would I “relish” high numbers in Dublin? That’s a ridiculous observation, let’s be honest.

Maybe I picked it up wrong but I just got the impression that you were relishing in the fact based on the tone of previous posts mentioning high case numbers in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

NPHET last week recommended no live music in pubs. Irish times now saying government will allow music. Was a notable absence in any of the Failte Ireland guidelines.

"Wet pubs’ will be allowed to host live music when they reopen on September 21st, according to informed Government sources."

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/wet-pubs-will-be-allowed-to-hold-live-music-sessions-when-they-reopen-1.4351584?mode=amp

Yes, labs should determine their own limit of detection and Ct threshold based on their own controls and validation.

But we have no idea what that is the National testing labatory? Did you see the video that raised the question?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,255 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

NPHET last week recommended no live music in pubs. Irish times now saying government will allow music. Was a notable absence in any of the Failte Ireland guidelines.

"Wet pubs’ will be allowed to host live music when they reopen on September 21st, according to informed Government sources."

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/wet-pubs-will-be-allowed-to-hold-live-music-sessions-when-they-reopen-1.4351584?mode=amp

INEC Gleneagle in Killarney has been

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    INEC Gleneagle in Killarney has been

NPHET recommended no music when pubs reopen

NPHET to recommend to government that in Dublin there be a reduction in the numbers of visitors to peoples homes from different houses.

Reported that the recommendation is to stay at 6 but from no more than 2 households instead of 3, for a period of 3 weeks.

Tighter restrictions on residential settings also to be recommended

• Advertisement

Goldengirl wrote: »
    I sincerely doubt that any doctor worth his salt would be advising his patients not to take a vaccine for a dangerous contagious virus or denying the impact of this in a country like Spain .

I think as doctors go I would be moving to another.

He is probably like a Gerry Killeen , but at the opposite end of the spectrum..

You don't move to a new ICU doctor. They are not a gp.

What vaccine?

Won't be one possibly for another year.

Pandemic could well be over by that time.

This is what has generally happened in the past.

WHO said it will be over in less than 2 years and it's been around from late 2019.

Time will tell.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement