Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXII-30,360 in ROI(1,781 deaths) 8,035 in NI (568 deaths)(10/09)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

The fact the vaccine trials are so tied into the stock of the companies says a lot about them and why they are so important.
    This is a business news channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Somebody was espousing a theory today that Greece can be the source, with spread among tourists who bring it home and aren't then recorded as cases in Greece but in their home countries.

yes, that could be the case.
    I actually think that this probably works both ways. Greece was doing exceptionally well, but as soon as they opened to tourism cases went up - and big splkes in August when most Greek people take their holidays.
    Sounds a bit like that phrase with the chicken and the egg doesn't it? Very difficult to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Somebody was espousing a theory today that Greece can be the source, with spread among tourists who bring it home and aren't then recorded as cases in Greece but in their home countries.

Plus how much tests are Greece running... this is one of the reasons EU changing the criteria to take into account testing rate and positivity rate.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

hmmm wrote: »
    This is a business news channel.

It doesn't sit right to be discussing a vaccine to the cause of a pandemic solely with a business hat. Especially when it comes to the US when corporations interests take priority to citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Admissions to ICU
    in last 24 Hours

Discharges from ICU
    in last 24 Hours

Admissions to Hospital
    in last 24 Hours

Discharges from Hospital
    in last 24 Hours

Hospital Patients tested positive
    In last 24 hours

Percentage of hospital beds occupied by Covid patients 0.3%

Percentage of ICU beds occupied by Covid patients 0.8%

Test positivity rate since the start 3.6 %

Test positivity rate last 7 days 1.6%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

niallo27 wrote: »
    Admissions to ICU
    in last 24 Hours

Discharges from ICU
    in last 24 Hours

Admissions to Hospital
    in last 24 Hours

Discharges from Hospital
    in last 24 Hours

In last 24 hours

There was 1 ICU admission today

https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/pages/hospitals-icu--testing

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

eigrod wrote: »
    Admissions to ICU
    in last 24 Hours

Discharges from ICU
    in last 24 Hours

Which is it?????

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

1 admission to ICU - there's 7 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Why?

Because you don’t instantly decline to a state that requires hospitalisation. It takes weeks before most people will see a sufficient decline in health. And then it can take further weeks before someone dies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

The majority of symptom onset are seen in 5-6 days. Who Source.

Symptom onset does not equal hospitalisation. It can take weeks to arrive at that state.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Plus how much tests are Greece running... this is one of the reasons EU changing the criteria to take into account testing rate and positivity rate.

Greece's testing rate is a little over half ours.

eigrod wrote: »

Apologies must have been late enough today.

odyssey06 wrote: »

Testing numbers are similar to Ireland, between 10000 and 15000 tests daily, depending on demand and tracing.
    Was just checking today's figures, 370 new cases, highest number since the beginning of the pandemic.

edit: I should clarify though that the population is over 10.5 million, which more than double of Ireland's - so I reckon Ireland's testing is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Testing numbers are similar to Ireland, between 10000 and 15000 tests daily, depending on demand and tracing.
    Was just checking today's figures, 370 new cases, highest number since the beginning of the pandemic.

Testing per capita is almost half of our rate.

Testing per capita is almost half of our rate.

yes, you're right, my apologies - I edited my post to clarify that Greece has more than double the population of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

It is certainly possible. T-cell immunity will show presence of virus in someone infected but the person will remain asymptomatic.

It’s plausible that this virus has already infected far more people than is currently estimated.

We’ll never know for sure.

It’s disappointing that we don’t hear of any research into the cases where one or more people in the same household tested positive and others in that household tested negative.
    I’m sure that this research is being done but results are not being put in the public domain.
    I personally know of two households where most of the other members of the household didn’t appear to become infected when one or more tested positive.
    This could possibly mean that at least 50% of us seem to have natural immunity. It could also explain why relatively few people are becoming infected when the virus is allegedly so highly infectious.
    I think we need to investigate why so many people who are undoubtedly exposed to the virus appear to be immune. Worldwide, only about 0.3% of the population have become infected and less than 0.001% of the population have died. We need to understand why so many people are not becoming infected.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

It doesn't sit right to be discussing a vaccine to the cause of a pandemic solely with a business hat. Especially when it comes to the US when corporations interests take priority to citizens.

Of course it ****ing doesn't.

Health is money though, that's why Regeneron in Limerick don't rely on donations from charity bun sales

• Registered Users Posts: 25,327 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

How do you fine someone who is unemployed and on PUP payments €10,000?

I’m not saying this is easy to do but when they return to job seekers, deduct 15 euros a week.

When they return to work, the rate of tax they pay upped by 14%.

Strumms wrote: »
    I’m not saying this is easy to do but when they return to job seekers, deduct 15 euros a week.

When they return to work, the rate of tax they pay upped by 14%.

That will really encourage them to get back to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I seriously doubt that reopening the non food pubs that close at 11.30pm will solve the issue of "where do we go next". Home to someone's gaff again I suppose, if nothing else is open. And it's the same thing all over again. I doubt a guard will care if there are six or sixteen in your house. That is the reality.

A sop to the publicans, which is fine, but if NPHET's goal is to keep house parties low, it won't happen IMV.

It's mad Ted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I seriously doubt that reopening the non food pubs that close at 11.30pm will solve the issue of "where do we go next". Home to someone's gaff again I suppose, if nothing else is open. And it's the same thing all over again. I doubt a guard will care if there are six or sixteen in your house. That is the reality.

A sop to the publicans, which is fine, but if NPHET's goal is to keep house parties low, it won't happen IMV.

It's mad Ted!

When do we separate the vulnerable from the not vulnerable?

No contact whatsoever.

They are both easily identifiable group's of citizens, and its only for a few months until a vaccine is available

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Good stats - haven't seen before. Shows current scale of Covid in hospitals clearly

• Registered Users Posts: 15,095 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

When do we separate the vulnerable from the not vulnerable?

No contact whatsoever.

They are both easily identifiable group's of citizens, and its only for a few months until a vaccine is available

How would that work in real life?

How would vulnerable people requiring assistance get that assistance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

It's mad Ted!

True, the hassle of having to order food and that will be gone, so you'll find a lot more now who will go for a few impulsively and I know from experience that a lot of those aged 18-30 don't call it a night too easily so this is bound to result in more afters back in houses and apartments, where the problem really lies.

We all know what's going on though, the economy has come out on top and political pressure has won over. They know the implications but after weighing the options, they can only see it going forward on not back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Admissions to ICU
    in last 24 Hours

Discharges from ICU
    in last 24 Hours

Admissions to Hospital
    in last 24 Hours

Discharges from Hospital
    in last 24 Hours

In last 24 hours

Now do France and Spain

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Is that two days in a row hospitalisations have fallen?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Now do France and Spain

Why don’t you do it?

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Ce he sin

Now do France and Spain

I've looked at Italy. They don't admit to a dramatic rise in cases but here are the numbers in ICU over the past few days:

5/9/20 121
    6/9/20 133
    7/9/20 142
    8/9/20 143
    9/9/20 150
    10/9/20 164

for comparison, they were at 46 this day last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

hmmm wrote: »
    Is that two days in a row hospitalisations have fallen?
    It is indeed yes, if the total figures are correct

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Irish Aris wrote: »

edit: I should clarify though that the population is over 10.5 million, which more than double of Ireland's - so I reckon Ireland's testing is better.

Greece are testing arrivals into the country. Says here on this link they’re doing 9000 tests a day at points of entry - https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/greece-conducting-9000-covid-19-tests-each-day-at-its-points-of-entry/

If that’s the case then, at double our population and testing numbers similar to ours, they mustn’t be doing much testing in the community. I’ve heard of a few cases now of people returning from Greece and testing positive, ACE’s example this evening is just the latest one. I would imagine there’s a lot of cases in Greece amongst the community they’re not catching. Then again, if they’re testing at airports, they must be catching a lot of cases too before they bring it in...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement