Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXII-30,360 in ROI(1,781 deaths) 8,035 in NI (568 deaths)(10/09)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

She must have had a ceaserian section with her first grandchild?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,484 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Roger_007 wrote: »
    She must have had a ceaserian section with her first grandchild?

LL thread - - - - - >

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

If it can't be eradicated, will this get us at some point whether we like it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Phil fu*kin Hogan, eh?

I've missed some (relatively benign) events since March, important hospital visits with my Daughter's oncologist, no fanfare on her first day of school next week, my wife's pregnancy scans, etc. All of these examples pale in comparison with those who have lost loved ones, missed funerals, lost livelihoods, jobs, and likely many will lose houses and more, and yet I'm absolutely furious that he can flaunt the rules like this so blatantly, and stereotypically, as someone with a bit of power, I can't even begin to imagine the angst caused by his actions, to those whose lives have been turned upside down by the pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Sometimes I dont know whether to laugh or cry with the posts on boards, but I love its embracement of all strains of humanity :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Is this correct, they are expecting kids to go into school with the odd sniffle? Wtf? Pretty sure I read something that 10 year olds can spread this as much as adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

If it can't be eradicated, will this get us at some point whether we like it or not.

What do you mean “get us”? The chances of you or I dying with or without a vaccine are pretty low

• Registered Users Posts: 12,320 ✭✭✭✭blade1

IMG-20200825-WA0003.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Maybe not COVID19, as we know it today but there's every chance SARS2 will pass through you at some stage in life. SARS1 was eradicated as a virus but that was a walk in the park when it came to containment compared to SARS2, so all we can hope for is an effective vaccine to suppress the effects of the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

A vaccine replicates a severe infection but without the dangerous side-effects. From your bodies perspective, you have got Covid. In time enough of us will get it (either by getting infected or with a vaccine) and it will either have difficulty spreading, or it will become a virus our immune system has protection against.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Is this correct, they are expecting kids to go into school with the odd sniffle? Wtf? Pretty sure I read something that 10 year olds can spread this as much as adults.

well seeing as a runny nose isnt a symptom of Covid that makes sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Basically yes, If they have a runny nose they can go into school, despite the fact that 5 year olds carry more coronavirus in their nose than adults and 10 year olds plus can spread it. But shure it'll be grand.

No, it will become a normal background virus that many are immune to, most are somewhat resistant to, but a small % will remain susceptible to. When that does happen,in a couple of years time, those on the restrictions thread will finally be correct to say, its just like another flu

khalessi wrote: »
    Basically yes, If they have a runny nose they can go into school, despite the fact that 5 year olds carry more coronavirus in their nose than adults and 10 year olds plus can spread it. But shure it'll be grand.

Realistically if a child has a runny nose chances are it is not COVID, lets be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

They said not to send kids with Covid symptoms. A sniffle isn't a symptom.
    The President of the Irish College of General Practitioners announced at a NPHET press conference that if a child has sniffles and sneezes the odd time but is "otherwise well" and does not have any symptoms of Covid-19, they can go to school

No, it will become a normal background virus that many are immune to, most are somewhat resistant to, but a small % will remain susceptible to. When that does happen,in a couple of years time, those on the restrictions thread will finally be correct to say, its just like another flu

They'd still be incorrect because it's not influenza.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Realistically if a child has a runny nose chances are it is not COVID, lets be honest

Gets you a test none the less. Doctor won't see you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    They said not to send kids with Covid symptoms. A sniffle isn't a symptom.

Ring your doctors office and tell them you've the sniffles. Guaranteed a test.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

What can Ireland do to achieve zero Covid-19?
    Updated / Tuesday, 25 Aug 2020 09:28
    'Clearly, Ireland needs a national strategy to allow us to get ahead of the virus: we need a Zero COVID or virus elimination approach'
    'Clearly, Ireland needs a national strategy to allow us to get ahead of the virus: we need a Zero COVID or virus elimination approach'
    By Ivan J Perry
    UCC

More from UCC
    Opinion: we need to be clear about what this virus elimination approach is, how we get there and how we stay there

In response to the Covid-19 pandemic, Ireland has come together in an extraordinary demonstration of collaboration and solidarity across all sectors of society. We have successfully implemented emergency public health measures to control the epidemic and avoid a surge of cases that would have overwhelmed our health services. By June of this year, the number of detected cases nationally had been reduced to less than 10 per day and we embarked on a policy of suppression of the virus to a 'tolerable level', while tentatively reopening our economy and awaiting a vaccine.

The worrying rise in the number of cases over the past few weeks shows the inherent limits of this approach. Clearly, Ireland needs a national strategy to allow us to get ahead of the virus: we need a Zero COVID or virus elimination approach. Internationally, other countries have successfully pursued a Zero COVID policy – New Zealand with a population of 4.8 million has had 1,654 cases and 22 deaths and Taiwan with a population of 23.8 million has had 486 cases and seven deaths to date. There is now growing support, both nationally and internationally, for a Zero COVID approach, but we need to be clear about what it is, how we get there and how we stay there.

The Zero COVID Island movement defines Zero COVID as "‘the absence for a suitable period of time (3 to 4 weeks), of community transmission of SARS-COV-2 (the virus causing Covid-19), within the Republic of Ireland, thereby allowing the safe opening up our economy, including schools, crèches, social gatherings, bars, theaters, sports and other entertainment venues." On achieving Zero COVID, there will still be a risk of imported local outbreaks, as is currently happening in Auckland in New Zealand, but these will be quickly controlled with minimal impact on other regions in the country.

From RTÉ Radio 1's Morning Ireland, Professor Emer Shelley from the Royal College of Physicians of Ireland on why the Government should pursue zero Covid policies

The first step toward Zero COVID is the implementation of a vision and clear plan at the highest level of Government to be supported by skilled leadership and an effective communications strategy that shares this vision with the public. This outlnes in a timely, honest, clear and empathetic way that we can and should protect our vulnerable, and move toward opening up our economy with a return to near normal life within a relatively short time.

Ideally, we also need agreement at political level, with the Northern Ireland administration on an all-island Zero COVID strategy. We have worked effectively with Northern Ireland in the past to control foot-and-mouth epidemics in cattle and the Health Committee of the Northern Ireland Executive has already endorsed the principle of a Zero COVID strategy.

In relation to the operational details, the strategy can be condensed into two core elements:

(i) local area virus transmission zoning

(ii) increased short term physical distancing measures (up to four weeks) with a view to bringing forward the date when we return to a near-normal life.

From RTÉ Radio 1's Today with Sarah McInerney, Dr Gabriel Scally on achieving a Zero Covid Ireland

Local area transmission zoning represents a shift from the current approach of dealing with the outbreak as a single national pandemic. Instead, it views it as a series of localised outbreaks to be tackled area by area until zero community transmission has been achieved for the country as a whole. We suggest the introduction of transmission zoning (green/yellow /red) at individual county level, with green for counties with Zero virus transmission, red with ongoing transmission and yellow for counties without community transmission but bordering red zones

At outset, all counties would be red, with no non-essential travel permitted outside individual counties. For three to four weeks, all non-essential services, including pubs, restaurants, and schools, would be closed, mask-wearing would be mandatory in all public settings (indoors and outdoors) and working from home where possible would continue. Substantial further investment will be necessary to protect jobs, homes and businesses while this happens.

At the end of this the initial period, travel would be permitted between green zones (including through Red zones without contact). A gradual process of relaxation of physical distancing measures and re-opening of all sectors of society and the economy could occur in these green zones, with the opening of schools prioritised. Restrictive measures would remain in the red zones until Zero COVID status was achieved. Thus, we would move from the current strategy of "lockdown" for counties with spikes in viral transmission, to one of opening up counties with Zero transmission and allowing life to return to normal but with the capacity to clamp down quickly on localised within county outbreaks.

From RTÉ Radio 1's Morning Ireland, Prof Anthony Staines discusses a letter from doctors and scientists calling for Ireland to 'crush the curve' by continuing Covid-19 restrictions

In parallel with the transmission zoning approach, we would need to maintain tight control on inward travel at ports and airports with mandatory quarantine and testing, using new, rapid testing technologies. We would also need to intensify our systems for finding, testing, tracing and isolation support for confirmed cases and quarantine for close contacts. There would be a particular focus on high-risk industries and settings including direct provision centres and high-density urban environments. In this context, the need to invest in and support local Public Health Medicine Departments, and to provide adequate places for safe isolation is evident.

Responding to outbreaks of infectious disease is somewhat analogous to firefighting: we maintain a zero-house fire strategy while ensuring that we have the resources and systems in place to respond quickly to fires that arise. Of course, this is not a perfect analogy and we cannot expect to maintain Zero COVID status in every region of the country at all times in reality.

If Ireland chooses to adopt Zero COVID as our national strategy, supported by Government leadership and buy-in from all sectors of society, we are likely in a worst-case scenario to achieve a high level of virus suppression with the best possible opportunity to get our lives back to normal. But if we settle now for suppression of the virus, for "an acceptable level of infection", the first Covid-19 winter in Europe and the Northern hemisphere may well be a winter of severe discontent.

This article draws on discussion and work in the Zero COVID Island Group, convened by Professor Anthony Staines from Dublin City University

The views expressed here are those of the author and do not represent or reflect the views of RTÉ

Ivan J Perry
    UCC

Professor Ivan J Perry is Professor Public Health and Head of the Department of Epidemiology & Public Health at UCC. He is a former Irish Research Council awardee

Follow@ivanjperry

Serious lobbying to public atm re: zero covid policy.

If this all goes Pete tong government may need to relook.

Time will tell.
    It's not really likely to pick up too much traction with that hardline red zone approach. NPHET, and by extension the government, are all about living with it. It's also not likely to succeed as NZ's experience has shown. The only option when it doesn't work is hard red again. Our current approach has range of more palatable graded measures. Is that a cluster of Zero-COVID I see in UCC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

At 3am tomorrow. Say your prayers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

sometimes I wonder why I post here, if you fimd my links from last night from the cdc and ecdc 24% of kids have a stuffy or runny nose with covid...just sayin'.

I think people misunderstand zero covid policy.

Zero covid policy does not actually mean zero cases and if there are it has failed.
    Whose fault is it it's been "misunderstood"? It's a stupid term anyway. If it's not zero then why call it zero?

GooglePlus wrote: »
    They'd still be incorrect because it's not influenza.

speckle wrote: »
    sometimes I wonder why I post here, if you fimd my links from last night from the cdc and ecdc 24% of kids have a stuffy or runny nose with covid...just sayin'.

I wouldn’t call a symptom that affects ~20-25% of people to be common

Sorry, the word another gave the impression that you were holding it in the same category.

speckle wrote: »
    24% of a really small number is still a really small number.

The main symptom to look out for in kids is the same as every other person, fever, loss of smell/taste and dry cough. Not rocket science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    So leaving aside the different strain element, why or what is the importance of the viral load at reinfection?

It's really tricky,

Guy get's in march and is very sick.
    Recovers, get's it again 4/5 months later.
    Is asymptomatic.

All things remaining equal it could be explained ny one of the following
    1. the immune response was able to prevent a symptomatic infection.
    2. It could be the genetic difference in the second infection is "milder / different"
    3. The initial conditions of the transmission was different? (mask / distance /time etc)

There is evidence for all three. Hopefully the immune response is long lasting and even if reinfection occurs it's mild or asymptomatic. (1)

Even better if it's due to 1 + 2.

More data needed to draw a conclusion but it is positive. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

bennyl10 wrote: »
    well seeing as a runny nose isnt a symptom of Covid that makes sense?

Upper respiratory diseases occur in 54% of children and a runny nose is one of those symptoms.

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/sites/default/files/documents/COVID-19-schools-transmission-August%202020.pdf

This was published on the 6th August as as you can see respiratory symptoms make up 54% for upper and 25% for lower, so yes a cough and a fever are the most common symptoms but so is a runny nose which is an upper respiratory symptom.
    Common signs and symptoms in children

COVID-19, like SARS and MERS, is observed less frequently in children, who tend to present milder symptoms and have a better overall outcome than adults [20-24]. The most commonly reported symptoms in children are fever
    and cough [21,22,25]. Other symptoms include gastrointestinal symptoms, sore throat/pharyngitis, shortness of breath, myalgia, rhinorrhoea/nasal congestion and headache, with varying prevalence among different studies [21,22,25,26]. In a cohort of 582 paediatric cases of SARS-CoV-2 infection from 21 European countries, signs and symptoms upon presentation at healthcare institutions included fever (pyrexia) (65%), upper respiratory tract infection (54%), headache (28%), lower respiratory tract infection (25%) and gastrointestinal symptoms (22%) [27].
    Correspondingly, studies from Italy [4,5,28,29], Germany [30], UK [31], Turkey [32] and Sweden [33] described similar symptoms and reported fever and cough as the most commonly observed symptoms. Gastrointestinal symptoms were more prevalent in children with severe COVID-19 than in those with mild disease [34].

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

is_that_so wrote: »
    Whose fault is it it's been "misunderstood"? It's a stupid term anyway. If it's not zero then why call it zero?

Should be called 1 in a 100k. strategy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement