Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXII-30,360 in ROI(1,781 deaths) 8,035 in NI (568 deaths)(10/09)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

speckle wrote: »
    I have been using flowers/essential oils which I love the smell of and garlic which I hate. I am sure most parents/guardians would know their kids well enough to come up with equivalents. Cod liver oil yuck.

Codliver oil, I think it was more the texture sensation that put me off. I prefer WD 40

Boggles wrote: »
    Jesus. When a child walks out the door, a school has no control of what that child does, it's going to mix with other kids, it's going to get picked up by various people, it's going to stay in various peoples houses and you can multiply that by the other 30 kids in the class and then 500 for the rest of that school, Then multiple that by over a million.

That is reality.

In the next 2 weeks we will have 10s of millions of movements, interactions and contacts daily that we have not had since March.

The idea with infection rate on the rise in the community that you can throw that into the mix and continue to play "whack a mole" is downright reckless, the "wait and see what happens" method you are suggesting is just plain and utter stupidity.

As it is, given what NPHET have said in the past, we are at best 6-8 weeks away from National Restrictions and that is without the schools returning.

Absolute best case scenario we knock until mid November out of the schools until the virus has reseeded nationally where the only option will be March like restrictions.

You can ignore science, cherry pick best case scenarios pretend humans under the age of 19 are completely biologically different to other humans or just bury your head in the sand.

None of that will stop the spread of it.

I am going by what the CMO has said
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0824/1160974-coronavirus-ireland/

Its time to start expecting some personal responsibility, rather than expecting to be told to comply

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I am going by what the CMO has said
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0824/1160974-coronavirus-ireland/

Its time to start expecting some personal responsibility, rather than expecting to be told to comply

Good for you.

I will stick with reality and science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    Not going to pretend i understand all those greek symbols and things, but that seems to measure viral load at diagnosis, aside from the fact that it'd be nigh on impossible to measure any earlier, does that really help us?
    We still don't know what the load at point of infection was - is the theory that the higher the initial load, the quicker the multiplication, the less able the immune system can cope and the body becomes overwhelmed - that ignores all this cytokine storm stuff which baffles me anyway.

Seems like you are pretty clear on it. Good luck googling.
    None of that in the paper.
    Any measure of viral load is limited to "at diagnosis".

Viral load is a thing in other viruses too. Check it out.

Let's not go down the "absence of evidence route"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    At least Santa's preparing for this being with us for another few months anyway.

https://www.rte.ie/news/newslens/2020/0825/1161230-santa-christmas-coronavirus/
    Thats so weird I was thinking about thst celebration and coming up with ideas... School should break up 15 days before the eve of the celebration to give time to the kids and parents to mske sure they are virus free before seeing the grandparents etc on the day.

More important Halloween/Samhain is only 2 months away. Needs plans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Just 1 positive case from 71,000 children attending this year’s Cúl Camps

https://twitter.com/rtegaa/status/1298283522772422656?s=21

At least Santa's preparing for this being with us for another few months anyway.

https://www.rte.ie/news/newslens/2020/0825/1161230-santa-christmas-coronavirus/

Santa would definitely be in the vulnerable group, what with his age, weight issues, and his propensity for mince pies and alcohol. It best we not risk have Santa call this year, and tell the children given they are likely to be snotting over the mince pies and stockings, it would be safer to have no presents this year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Mike3549

Santa would definitely be in the vulnerable group, what with his age, weight issues, and his propensity for mince pies and alcohol. It best we not risk have Santa call this year, and tell the children given they are likely to be snotting over the mince pies and stockings, it would be safer to have no presents this year

Or just tell kids that he died of covid. Ill get my coat

Good for you.

I will stick with reality and science.

But science....The CMO not able to assess the science? The CMO not dealing in reality?

Reality is schools have to go back, and the only way science will know the impact is by actually going back and measuring it. We are not Israel, it may work out better, or may work out worse, there is only one way to find out

• Advertisement

https://youtu.be/nHqz-Wk3hus

UK seems to be in a good place at present.More evidence virus weaker in europe than March due to SD measures.Oxford Professor in virology saying pandemic is over and more people dying from influenza by a large margin in UK at present. Good listen for anyone very anxious.This too shall pass.Might be too positive a post for some people on here :pac::pac:

Just 1 positive case from 71,000 children attending this year’s Cúl Camps

https://twitter.com/rtegaa/status/1298283522772422656?s=21

I wonder did it take the HSE 9 days to contact that childs close contacts?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40037216.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    And has there been any solid evidence backing up the theory that the initial viral load impacts severity of the disease?
    I know it was mooted early on that it may have explained the apparent severity of the disease for healthcare workers, but haven't really beem following since.

I haven't heard anything about severity for healthcare workers.
    Haven't we had nearly 10k infected but only 8 deaths?
    That would suggest the infections they were getting were certainly not 'more severe'?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Mike3549 wrote: »
    Or just tell kids that he died of covid. Ill get my coat

Bah humbug! :P

Eod100 wrote: »
    Bah humbug! :P

Or go for the softer " santa is cocooning this year"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,662 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I haven't heard anything about severity for healthcare workers.
    Haven't we had nearly 10k infected but only 8 deaths?
    That would suggest the infections they were getting were certainly not 'more severe'?

Many health care workers did get severe doses. Quite a number are still not back to full fitness months later. I know two of them personally and have heard of many more from a daughter who is a nurse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

More evidence virus weaker in europe than March due to SD measures.Oxford Professor in virology saying pandemic is over and more people dying from influenza by a large margin in UK at present.
    You must have posted the wrong video. Can you tell me where the interviewee said the pandemic was over and the virus was weaker, because I didn't hear any of that?

I heard him say that our social distancing was bringing the virus under control and we needed to continue the social distancing and basic hygiene measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Many health care workers did get severe doses. Quite a number are still not back to full fitness months later. I know two of them personally and have heard of many more from a daughter who is a nurse.

Then the mortality rates are even more shocking, less than 0.1% even though the dose was worse on average than others?

But science....The CMO not able to assess the science? The CMO not dealing in reality?

Quite clearly no, he isn't.

As you have all ready pointed out he is basing his decisions on "hope" and "wait and see".

The lesser known methods of once in a generation deadly pandemic control.

Over a fifth of the population indoors a large amount in crowded poor infrastructure. - Be grand.

Watching a match outdoors. - That's a paddling.

Ronan has jumped the fence I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,273 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Codliver oil, I think it was more the texture sensation that put me off. I prefer WD 40

The orange flavour is ok, different to oil texture

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

As you have all ready pointed out he is basing his decisions on "hope" and "wait and see".

PR speak really, the CMO used to do the same. He also prefaces a lot of what he says with a caveat of what a Yes or No answer will look like in headlines. It's not evidence that they have no idea what they are doing.

Can't you just pop the capsules?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Regardless of opinions here, everyone should watch this guy as posted by others. Seems to make a lot of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Jesus. When a child walks out the door, a school has no control of what that child does, it's going to mix with other kids, it's going to get picked up by various people, it's going to stay in various peoples houses and you can multiply that by the other 30 kids in the class and then 500 for the rest of that school, Then multiple that by over a million.

That is reality.

In the next 2 weeks we will have 10s of millions of movements, interactions and contacts daily that we have not had since March.

The idea with infection rate on the rise in the community that you can throw that into the mix and continue to play "whack a mole" is downright reckless, the "wait and see what happens" method you are suggesting is just plain and utter stupidity.

As it is, given what NPHET have said in the past, we are at best 6-8 weeks away from National Restrictions and that is without the schools returning.

Absolute best case scenario we knock until mid November out of the schools until the virus has reseeded nationally where the only option will be March like restrictions.

You can ignore science, cherry pick best case scenarios pretend humans under the age of 19 are completely biologically different to other humans or just bury your head in the sand.

Ah will you calm down, GAA training with those same kids hasn't resulted in a spike. No major outbreaks at the ice cream shops either.

Regardless of opinions here, everyone should watch this guy as posted by others. Seems to make a lot of sense.

For now?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Nobody here thinks he has a clue what he's on about, very sad..:(

https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/masking-lack-of-evidence-with-politics/

Over a fifth of the population indoors a large amount in crowded poor infrastructure. - Be grand.

Watching a match outdoors. - That's a paddling.

Ronan has jumped the fence I'm afraid.

1 or 71,000 six to 12 year olds attending cup camps. Good sample

is_that_so wrote: »
    PR speak really, the CMO used to do the same. He also prefaces a lot of what he says with a caveat of what a Yes or No answer will look like in headlines. It's not evidence that they have no idea what they are doing.

They have signed off on the "plan" to get the schools back no matter what in full.

When the wheels spectacularly get fúcked off the fun bus, they are culpable as anyone else.

That will be a proper scandal, not Big Philly sinking pints after a round of 18 with 81 other people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Sunrise.Sunset

That is reality.

This 100%. My friend is a childminder for a family and she has witnessed the family not caring about the virus and the guidelines. We were asked to keep our close contacts low. They did the opposite and it's any excuse for social gatherings. Last week really brought the situation home to her where there was fresh guidelines for home situations - don't have more than 6 in the house from a max of 3 households and the family actively went against that, putting her at risk.

Going back to school will be like what you described.

What is the point of another lockdown though? Many people will just see it as an extended bank holiday. If schools are closed again, many will just meet up in homes.

We know the virus is here. We know how serious the virus can be. We have the guidelines to follow to reduce risks. Things should be allowed to flow naturally now at this stage. No more lockdowns. If cases were allowed to climb, many people would probably naturally reduce their movements without being told. The rest of them it will be natural selection. Remove all safety nets of PUP allowance and no more lockdowns.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement