Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXII-30,360 in ROI(1,781 deaths) 8,035 in NI (568 deaths)(10/09)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

polesheep wrote: »
    The survey demonstrated that over 35s had much better knowledge of the facts.

It dispells the myth that young people aren’t taking it seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

It dispells the myth that young people aren’t taking it seriously.

Not necessarily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

That's an astonishing level of ignorance among young people. They must be getting all of their information from social media. If so, there are serious issues ahead.

Not all young people. The young adults I raised know full well it is not a notable mortality risk for them, in fact they tease me that as I am in my (very!) early 50s I am a full 10 times more likely to die than they are from Covid (in their 20s). They have very dark senses of humour.

Not necessarily.

Young people believing it’s way more deadly than it is screams caution. No? People who aren’t taking it seriously would underestimate deaths, not overestimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Info on the theory follows... question it.. pull it apart... but at least listen to the discussion

https://www.microbe.tv/twiv/twiv-640/

start video at 6.30 to get to testing part its the next 45 mins but listen to the first 10mins at least

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....22.20136309v2

pre print article referred too/above link not working

Edit:https://www.medrxiv.org/search/michael%252Bmina
    choose: Test sensitivity is secondary to frequency and turnaround time for COVID-19 surveillance

Hope this posts correctly.

Important possible advantage to these tests is: less exposure for medical staff and they could be done fast in house in nursing homes, or at home or by travel to a testing center/gp/hospital for the rest of us. Even do it at the door of the out patients.

Friend undergoing surgery recently in CUH had outpatients/ prep appointment and then was sent all the way across town via public transport/buses to another place for a covid pcr test and then back to the hospital... crazy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

It shows young people believe it is far deadlier than it actually is. That’s all people are seeing on the internet, on RTE, particularly.

You'd wonder why our state broadcaster is trying to instill such fear among us, what benefit does that bring, with the usual tinfoil hat to get us in line ****e aside?

Why would they want us thinking it's more deadly than it is, would that not cause knock on effects when it comes to public confidence. You'd think that would have a negative effect for our economy, I can't really see why they'd go that route intentionally.

Beverly Hills, California

Gruffalox wrote: »
    Not all young people. The young adults I raised know full well it is not a notable mortality risk for them, in fact they tease me that as I am in my (very!) early 50s I am a full 10 times more likely to die than they are from Covid (in their 20s). They have very dark senses of humour.

That's true, which is why I said 'among'. BTW I'm early 60s and I have a darker sense of humour than my young adult children.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

And 80% of people in the middle who understand the risk and are trying their best to reduce risk for all and live a balances life with the virus.

Exactly this.

Lots of posters try that bull**** route of anyone who dares question the spin from NPHET is a sociopath granny killer looking for inheritance etc.

Bullies if you ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The US FDA are constantly reviewing new testing methods, and recently approved the saliva test (developed by yale as far as I know). Europe (and us) don't seem to be doing much to approve new testing methods to make it easier. Maybe they are, but we never hear about it. We need to change the way we test if we want to get on with things. The current way of doing it requires far too many resources.
    Ongoing work is what they keep saying. As Colm Henry said back in March when we were looking to get up to to 10,000 a day, we were rushing into a process that would normally take months to model, test and review. Between the NVRI and HIQA they do seem to track and review new tests, the vast majority of which they were not very kind to due to reliability issues.

Young people believing it’s way more deadly than it is screams caution. No? People who aren’t taking it seriously would underestimate deaths, not overestimate.

Even though they overestimate the deaths that doesn't mean that they are taking it seriously. That is something that was missing from the poll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

Irish Times

Breda O’Brien: Teachers want rapid Covid-19 testing. Now

As schools return, ongoing test delays will cause virus to spread unchecked

Breda O'Brien

Can Breda O'Brien stop posting reasonable articles please, it's making me very confused

Even though they overestimate the deaths that doesn't mean that they are taking it seriously. That is something that was missing from the poll.

In personal experience younger people are way more tuned in than older people tend to believe. It’s quite a stereotype developing that younger people don’t take it seriously. Quite the opposite.

You'd wonder why our state broadcaster is trying to instill such fear among us, what benefit does that bring, with the usual tinfoil hat to get us in line ****e aside?

Why would they want us thinking it's more deadly than it is, would that not cause knock on effects when it comes to public confidence. You'd think that would have a negative effect for our economy, I can't really see why they'd go that route intentionally.

They go that route with just about everything. It's in their DNA.

Exactly this.

Lots of posters try that bull**** route of anyone who dares question the spin from NPHET is a sociopath granny killer looking for inheritance etc.

Bullies if you ask me
    It's not as if you've not given as good as you think you get. So who upset you today, petal?

They go that route with just about everything. It's in their DNA.

But why?

Exactly this.

Bullies if you ask me

what about those spouting the BS that we live in a police state?

In personal experience younger people are way more tuned in than older people tend to believe. It’s quite a stereotype developing that younger people don’t take it seriously. Quite the opposite.

I'm not questioning that, just commenting on the poll and how we can't make too many assertions based on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

It shows young people believe it is far deadlier than it actually is. That’s all people are seeing on the internet, on RTE, particularly.

How does the survey show that? It was a survey sampling across ages and locations. The actual figure is from all respondents.

But why?

Perhaps it's that they've always believed that news = bad news.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    How does the survey show that? It was a survey sampling across ages and locations. The actual figure is from all respondents.

Look closer Jim. It's in there.

• Advertisement

Jim_Hodge wrote: »

“While there is a perception that younger people are largely ignoring the illness – perhaps fuelled by talk of house parties and videos circulating widely on social media of people having too-lively brunches – the reality is somewhat different.

People under the age of 35 are more likely than older people to overestimate the number of deaths due to Covid-19, and almost one in five of that cohort told researchers that there had been at least 5,000 coronavirus deaths so far this year in Ireland.”

Perhaps it's that they've always believed that news = bad news.

How do you mean?

I can't think of any news broadcaster that broadcasts good news. It's the bad news that people are more concerned about.

Look closer Jim. It's in there.

I can't use twitter. It's genuine question. Was curious .

“While there is a perception that younger people are largely ignoring the illness – perhaps fuelled by talk of house parties and videos circulating widely on social media of people having too-lively brunches – the reality is somewhat different.

People under the age of 35 are more likely than older people to overestimate the number of deaths due to Covid-19, and almost one in five of that cohort told researchers that there had been at least 5,000 coronavirus deaths so far this year in Ireland.”

Thanks, I couldn't get to that bit.

How do you mean?

I can't think of any news broadcaster that broadcasts good news. It's the bad news that people are more concerned about.

Chicken and egg. News outlets have created that concern over time. RTE has always taken a negative and pessimistic approach to news and current affairs. You only have to look at the interview technique they have used over the years of holding a camera in someone's face until they get the tearful reaction that they are looking for. It's just the way that they have evolved in there.

How do you mean?

That's what Nationwide is for! Relentlessly good news stories all the time!

Chicken and egg. News outlets have created that concern over time. RTE has always taken a negative and pessimistic approach to news and current affairs. You only have to look at the interview technique they have used over the years of holding a camera in someone's face until they get the tearful reaction that they are looking for. It's just the way that they have evolved in there.

I would have thought they were basing their style off the numerous other broadcasters about. Given their revenue comes in from advertisement along with the TV fee, I think they're main concern is giving the masses exactly what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

The michael mina epidemiologist post twitter page because last one seems broken on lateral flow covid tests
    https://twitter.com/michaelmina_lab?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

and
    https://twitter.com/michaelmina_lab/status/1297219427600084992
    icludes why pcr test not great for asymtomatic people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Amazing that people think 12% of deaths are to under 35s. No wonder there is so much fear on this thread.

• Advertisement

Amazing that people think 12% of deaths are to under 35s. No wonder there is so much fear on this thread.

I‘d say it’s a nationwide thing. It’s driven by lack of information provided by NPHET and the media. At the beginning we got the ages of deaths, now you have to dig.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement