Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Air Fryer (Amazon.uk)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭keeponrockin

If in doubt hold out..Cyber Monday/Black Friday saw huge price drops for these last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,547 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

sternn wrote: »
    I am in the market for a larger one, but how do people handle the 2 pin plug? Seems a little daft to use a bulky converter and I don't really want to invalidate the warranty by replacing the plug myself with a 3 pin.

Id guess it wouldn't be getting unplugged too often?
    Would you not just plug it in with the 2 pin and leave it plugged,use a screw driver to open up the earth .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

sternn wrote: »

I am in the market for a larger one, but how do people handle the 2 pin plug? Seems a little daft to use a bulky converter and I don't really want to invalidate the warranty by replacing the plug myself with a 3 pin.

No need to do anything like replacing the plug or using a converter - just use the top pin from a three pin plug held upside down, and stick it in the earth in the socket for it to release the saferty mechanism, and the two pin EU plug will go straight in.

You can then remove your 3 pin plug again. (Hope this makes sense)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,884 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

ElNino wrote: »
    For thin frozen oven chips I pre-heat the air fryer for 3 minutes and cook them for 12 minutes.

Dunnes American style frozen chips.. Like yourself, preheat for 3 minutes, 8 minutes at 190, shake halfway through.. Sorted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9 Ghostrider7

Philips Air Fryer XXL now at £190

Amazon UK Philips Air Fryer XXL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭A-Train

Philips Air Fryer XXL now at £190

Amazon UK Philips Air Fryer XXL

Does anyone know will you be hit with customs duty if this was purchased from Amazon UK website as the link above?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mel123

A-Train wrote: »
    Does anyone know will you be hit with customs duty if this was purchased from Amazon UK website as the link above?

Yes you will. Amazon add it on to the total price. I just checked and using revolut its all in the equivalent of 227 euro, so still a great bargain if you are in the market for one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9 Ghostrider7

I've ordered it. These are the details :

Order Summary
    Item(s) Subtotal:£158.33
    Postage & Packing:£0.00
    Total Before VAT:£158.33
    VAT:£0.00
    Total:£158.33
    Import Fees Deposit£38.42
    Grand Total:£196.75

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,063 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

A-Train wrote: »

if you go through to checkout you'll see the total as Amazon will calculate any VAT or duty. Showing as £196.75 for me, not sure how they've calculated that, it's a couple of pounds more than just the 3% VAT difference. But you shouldn't have to pay any thing else on delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭A-Train

mel123 wrote: »
    Yes you will. Amazon add it on to the total price. I just checked and using revolut its all in the equivalent of 227 euro, so still a great bargain if you are in the market for one

Perfect cheers thanks for the reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭honda boi

Worth the upgrade from an XL to an XXL?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Bhoy1967

honda boi wrote: »

The XXL is on special now at the moment for £190 - works out at €225 on revolut - I never use the Amazon conversion - I just bought one to see what all the hype is over!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Got one of these XXLs in Nov, again to see what the hype was.

It's used non-stop and forced cooker into early retirement. Incredible bit of kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,711 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It's used non-stop and forced cooker into early retirement. Incredible bit of kit.

How do you find it for cleaning?
    If you don’t have a dishwasher.

How do you find it for cleaning?
    If you don’t have a dishwasher.

Rarely use the dishwasher, the 3 main bits come out and can be washed in the sink in no time at all.

The only difficult part to clean is the sides of the basket and even that is relatively easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭honda boi

Can I ask how many people it feeds for you?
    5 person family here.
    2 adults ,3 kids. Want to know if it's much bigger then the XL version

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,058 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

honda boi wrote: »

If you're XL is on it's last legs, then why not. But if it's still in good shape, I'd wait. The size difference does not warrant the outlay IMO and there's always the tentative excitement on the wait for a better deal ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Was pretty tempted by this , but looks like it’s sold out.
    We have a cheap Tower right now that’s getting too small as the kids are older.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    you wont feed the family with one or any air fryer tbh
    the xxl is not that much bigger its more about the rapid cooking tech, i can fit a 2kg chicken into mine and cook within the hour

here is a good comparison video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOaLTRSBbwg

An hour for a full chicken :eek:

Completely new to all this! What happens to the juices that run off it?

I just bought it for chips but can you cook anything in it? What are it's limitations?

Thanks for the feedback

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Set up an alert on camelcamelcamel that’s how I found the reduced price this time around

I got impatient and ordered a Cosori !

• Advertisement

Most of the juice remains in the chicken that’s the benefit of the xxl, some juice will sit at the bottom and this can be tipped out easily

There aren’t any limitations with it tbh I’ve cooked anything from cakes to joints of meat and steak

Brilliant stuff - I will be trialing a lot on this in the next few weeks :cool: Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I have a small plastic container with lid and fill it up with the hot oil run off and when full dump it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Bhoy1967 wrote: »
    An hour for a full chicken :eek:

Completely new to all this! What happens to the juices that run off it?
    It goes into the basket. I then take the chicken out several times and take the inner basket out and put it into a fring pan. I then empty the fat over the chicken to baste it. Then you put the chicken back in for a while. After 15mins or so you can take it out and pour over the remaining fat from the frying pan to baste it again. This could be done 1-3 times depending on how much fat has come out of the chicken. As time goes on more fat is coming out. So you take the chicken out into the frying pan again and dump the whole lot over.

I have then cooked oven chips straight after the chicken is done and basted them with the chicken fat too. I find most oven chips have too little oil, it's like the manufacturers presume everybody cooking oven chips is doing it to make a healthy lower fat version than deep frying, there are only a few frozen chips that are high in fat and they are usually quite expensive. Many people also presume people get airfryers to reduce the fat content, while some might just want it for convenience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I dont think i have ever basted a chicken in an air frier.
    Also use the frozen MCains chips and used to the safer dryer route

basting a full chicken seems pointless to me it comes out crispy and full of juice in the hour without it in my experience and the 1.9 to 2kg are the perfect fit

Mine begins to burn on top if I do not do it, it is FAR better results when basted for me. I am using a standard size philips airfryer and a large chicken is very close to the element. I find the basting make the skin cook far more evenly. I imagine in a large fryer it is further away from the element so gets a more even heat. The basting is also very easy to do compared to a typical oven setup.

Another way to do it is take the chicken out and leave it in a frying pan, now pour the fat into a cup or small gravy boat. Now replace the chicken and you can pour small amounts back in over the chicken, this means you are not pouring it all into the frying pan which can be hard to manage.

the xxl cooks differently to the regular one and yes there is more room, when i slice into the chicken its full of juice so no need for basting and i put it in breast side down
    i have had all three sizes and the xxl is the only one for me from now on

I didn't baste it either but I turned it over for the last 10mins and worked out really good.

the xxl cooks differently to the regular one and yes there is more room, when i slice into the chicken its full of juice so no need for basting and i put it in breast side down
    Mine were fine an juicy if unbasted too, I don't baste to introduce juice. I do breast side down at the start too, and flip once. The basting method is great for chicken with floured or starch coatings, like doing wings, thighs, drumsticks. I cook on low heat until fat renders out, then baste so the flour does not burn.

Many are perfectly happy with unbasted chickens in regular ovens too.

I was simply replying to the person asking what ends up with the fat, and saying how easy it is to baste a chicken in an aifryer, for those who really do like basted chickens, and those with small airfyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Holy Duck

Back in stock @ £190, is this the best price they've been or do they drop any lower?....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,837 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I think there was a price error a few years ago and a few boardsies like Tar.Aldarion got the XXL for around €80 :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement