Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pain cave decor ideas

Options
  • 23-08-2020 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭

Hi... I'm not sure this is in correct forum , I had a look at home forum but I dont think I'll get as good advice over there.

I have a small box room above my wifes buisness, I've put my cycle trainer in , put a monitor up on bracket and a couple of fans .... laptop connected which will soon be upgraded to apple tv 4k .... I'm using zwift.

This room has no natural light and really is a bleak place !!!!! I've been using for past 12 months and is perfect for what I need of it.

Soooooo I'm trying to come up with ideas to transform this depressing place.

Maybe even if people could post pictures of their pain caves for inspiration....

I have a few ideas but would rather hear others peoples first.
    I'll post a few pictures of this miserable place later.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

..I have a small box room...
    I know practically nothing about decor but a few very large frameless mirrors screwed directly to the walls will make any small room look much bigger and help reflect light. Can be ordered to size at any glass type dealer.

A few vintage cycling posters would be my next task.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

A nice vintage bike up on the wall would be a really nice touch. I'd try sort something with the no natural light/ventilation though, maybe a velux window. The light wouldn't really bother me as I find turbo in the dark particularly zwift more immersive.

I'd love a couch nearby to flake out on after but I'd most likely flake out on it before getting on the bike and it would game over. :D

An LED strip around the tv can give a nice effect also.

Panoramic wallpaper of an Alpine pass

I recall someone posting a link to a site that does nice prints a while ago, can't recall now which thread it might have been in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

In the process of doing this myself while saving for a half decent shed. Check out the handmade cyclist. I quite like his prints although taste is subjective so may not be your cup of tea

https://thehandmadecyclist.com/collections/unframed-prints

I’d stick a full size mural on one wall. Something like this https://www.wallsauce.com/eu/wall-murals/photo-wallpaper/extended-range/329227807

And on the other, I’d have a life size photo of Sofia Vergera, but that’s just me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Ok so a couple of my 1st ideas was a large mirror and very quickly changed mind on that because I'm really not that good looking....

I also did think of the idea of a large poster and I may still do this on one of the walls but I'm thinking because I do a small bit of photography I may just scatter a few frames around room plus I have a cheap racer I bought last year for 20 euro . .... I could hang this up high on a wall ...

I have a good few medals from sportifs I could try and organise on walls ...

The walls are very depressing and have bad wall paper on them in light kind of purple...horrible,horrible... eeeew. So I'm going to buy that cheap white paint in aldi on thursday .

The mahogany Chester draws are going that holds laptop and speakers and I'll get a shelf.

I've added a few photos below and stuck up a couple of pictures in room to get started.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Ok so a couple of my 1st ideas was a large mirror and very quickly changed mind on that because I'm really not that good looking....

I also did think of the idea of a large poster and I may still do this on one of the walls but I'm thinking because I do a small bit of photography I may just scatter a few frames around room plus I have a cheap racer I bought last year for 20 euro . .... I could hang this up high on a wall ...

The walls are very depressing and have bad wall paper on them in light kind of purple...horrible,horrible... eeeew. So I'm going to buy that cheap white paint in aldi on thursday .

The mahogany Chester draws are going that holds laptop and speakers and I'll get a shelf.

I've added a few photos below and stuck up a couple of pictures in room to get started.

I saw something the other day, but can't quite remember it.

Think it's paint one end wall and ceiling a different colour to the other walls, to make room look longer.

There were a few tricks, so I might have mixed them up.

I have a cooler box in which I keep various snacks and such beside my turbos

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I've a shed, that started off as my gym/ pain cave (until the gym equipment just took up space, and still wasn't being used). Now it's pain cave during the week, bar for the weekend!

If you're Zwifting, which I assume you will be with the mention of Apple TV, a bigger TV really made a big difference to the experience for me. I use my older, smaller one, for FireTV/ Chromecast for spotify/ eurosport player/ netflix/ GCN racepass/ YouTube. If I'm using TrainerRoad and just using Zwift for moving wall paper, I just swap HDMI cables (so zwift on the smaller TV).

Regarding medals - I've mine hung off a piece of dowel, attached to the wall with cup hooks. You could use a curtain pole too. I'll try and get out for a photo later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Looks like a room HH Holmes built. Sorry, I know you're aware and doing it up... but I got chills

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭ratracer

meercat wrote: »

I don’t need these and I didn’t know they even existed, but it’s a really cool way to pretend you can see the sky!!

I’d also agree with an LED strip around the screen, makes a big difference to the tone of the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Macy0161 wrote: »

If you're Zwifting, which I assume you will be with the mention of Apple TV, a bigger TV really made a big difference to the experience for me. I use my older, smaller one, for FireTV/ Chromecast for spotify/ eurosport player/ netflix/ GCN racepass/ YouTube. If I'm using TrainerRoad and just using Zwift for moving wall paper, I just swap HDMI cables (so zwift on the smaller TV).

Thanks ..... yes I have considered a bigger tv ..... my problem is weve bloody tvs everywhere in my house not being used , the thought of going out buying another!!!

Yes I agree room is very miserable... but it's a room for training also I keep telling myslef .... rocky beat Drago in Rocky 4 through no nonsense back to basics training and I like that ....... well a bit ......

I'll take some pictures tonight with wide angle lens and at least we can see how much progress if any I made....

Please..... dont be afraid to hijack this thread with pictures of ur own pain cave .... the more the better.

I'd like also to point out I'm trying to spend as little as possible on this because I'm just plain tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Just on pictures - zwift insider has a few decent posters that I keep looking at. They're on my list, just keep getting dropped in favour of bar related stuff!

Advertisement