Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reusable masks

• 23-08-2020 9:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭

Beginning to panic a little about returning to classroom!
    Can anyone link a few sites for resuable masks please.
    Won't be ideal wearing them and glasses but a visor alone isn't good enough imo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

km79 wrote: »
    Beginning to panic a little about returning to classroom!
    Can anyone link a few sites for resuable masks please.
    Won't be ideal wearing them and glasses but a visor alone isn't good enough imo

Go to the chemist. Get one that has support for your nose and adjust the way you wear your glasses. I presume you have been wearing one since they became mandatory or have you been cocooning??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

My husband and I both wear glasses and we’ve built up quite the collection of face masks. These Reebok ones are the best we’re found for avoiding fogged up glasses. They fit quite close to the face so you can pop your glasses on over them. There’s room for a filter too. It’s trial and error really to find one that works with glasses. Ones with a nose wire are fine as long as you take the time to properly adjust the wire.

https://www.reebok.ie/face-covers-m-l-3-pack/H18222.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

sent a pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

I got so fed up of my glasses fogging up so I switched to monthly contact lenses. Specsavers are doing a deal at the minute that are making them quite reasonable for the foreseeable anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

silver2020 wrote: »
    sent a pm

Got it thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

I got so fed up of my glasses fogging up so I switched to monthly contact lenses. Specsavers are doing a deal at the minute that are making them quite reasonable for the foreseeable anyway.

Tried contacts for a year
    Can’t wear them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭Alex86Eire

I got some masks from masked.ie for my mother who wears glasses and they're ideal. They are the most comfortable ones I've found and are very reasonable. They come with a separate filter too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Are your schools not supplying them? In ours , because people wanted different types , the school is paying for 5 reusable masks for each staff member and are supplying visors .

My masks are from https://www.meabenamels.com/ They are double layer silk with filters . Having tried a LOT of different mask types , these are the best I have found ( no, I’m not shilling btw.)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents, speaking as someone who went OTT back in March to try and find out about masks and their respective quality. Back then there were not many DIY types as there are now, but I hope the below link may help. It's a bit on the technical side, but shows the facts in terms of how good masks are and the top type are medical surgical masks and fitted N95 (or FFP2 as they are rated in the EU).
    https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/08/07/sciadv.abd3083

Having a large stash of N95/FFP2 is not really viable due to cost, so the best alternative is medical grade surgical masks. There is also a night and day difference between medical grade surgical masks and non medical surgical masks. They may look the same, but only one is classed as 'medical' and should have respective ISO/EU standards.

When it comes to DIY masks, or anything like the above Rebook link, the most common filter for sale are called 'PM 2.5'. You can get them on Amazon and a lot of the China sites, but while they do filter a lot out, they are not graded to keep Covid 19 out in small particles.

In my case, I have about x400 medical grade surgical masks for when my daughter goes back to school, £25 for a box of 50 on Amazon. She is in the very high risk category and I estimate she will use 2 to 3 each day.

At the end of the day, any mask is better than none in theory and a lot of people won't look at the filtering specs, just that they need a mask, but for those who care about the quality of filtering, I hope the above is useful.

delly wrote: »
    Just thought I'd add my 2 cents, speaking as someone who went OTT back in March to try and find out about masks and their respective quality. Back then there were not many DIY types as there are now, but I hope the below link may help. It's a bit on the technical side, but shows the facts in terms of how good masks are and the top type are medical surgical masks and fitted N95 (or FFP2 as they are rated in the EU).
    https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/08/07/sciadv.abd3083

Having a large stash of N95/FFP2 is not really viable due to cost, so the best alternative is medical grade surgical masks. There is also a night and day difference between medical grade surgical masks and non medical surgical masks. They may look the same, but only one is classed as 'medical' and should have respective ISO/EU standards.

When it comes to DIY masks, or anything like the above Rebook link, the most common filter for sale are called 'PM 2.5'. You can get them on Amazon and a lot of the China sites, but while they do filter a lot out, they are not graded to keep Covid 19 out in small particles.

In my case, I have about x400 medical grade surgical masks for when my daughter goes back to school, £25 for a box of 50 on Amazon. She is in the very high risk category and I estimate she will use 2 to 3 each day.

At the end of the day, any mask is better than none in theory and a lot of people won't look at the filtering specs, just that they need a mask, but for those who care about the quality of filtering, I hope the above is useful.

Could you link the ones you bought on amazon please?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Sure, see below for the last batch I got. I have a mix depending on which is stock, but all are medical grade. Note that there is no VAT for UK PPE, but as soon as you deliver here it goes up by 23%, so I get mine sent via Parcel Wizard to the North.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0896LKXX1/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&th=1

delly wrote: »
    Sure, see below for the last batch I got. I have a mix depending on which is stock, but all are medical grade. Note that there is no VAT for UK PPE, but as soon as you deliver here it goes up by 23%, so I get mine sent via Parcel Wizard to the North.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0896LKXX1/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&th=1

Thanks a million! I appreciate that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭acequion

My husband and I both wear glasses and we’ve built up quite the collection of face masks. These Reebok ones are the best we’re found for avoiding fogged up glasses. They fit quite close to the face so you can pop your glasses on over them. There’s room for a filter too. It’s trial and error really to find one that works with glasses. Ones with a nose wire are fine as long as you take the time to properly adjust the wire.

https://www.reebok.ie/face-covers-m-l-3-pack/H18222.html

I'm the same as the OP in that I'm looking for a good mask to wear with glasses.

Those Reebok ones look like what might suit and I've seen them on people.

May I ask if you have to order them online from that site or can they be bought somewhere locally? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

km79 wrote: »
    Tried contacts for a year
    Can’t wear them

Specsavers have this amazing stuff called Pilot Spray, for pilot goggles normally. I have to wear glasses so was trying everything and was in getting a pair of glasses refit so I asked, the girl recommended it. its expensive but its absolutly amazing, one spray lasts the whole day and I get no fogging even on buses etc with masks without the metal insert.

Specsavers have this amazing stuff called Pilot Spray, for pilot goggles normally. I have to wear glasses so was trying everything and was in getting a pair of glasses refit so I asked, the girl recommended it. its expensive but its absolutly amazing, one spray lasts the whole day and I get no fogging even on buses etc with masks without the metal insert.

Are you talking about the ordinary blue /white disposable masks? I've been wearing them since the start and am quite happy with them except for the glasses fogging up. As I only wear glasses for reading it's been fine up to now.

But next week back in glass will be a different story.

I've mostly been wearing masks I've made myself, so double layer of cotton and a bit of muslin or polyester. I've worn disposable masks too. Doesn't make much difference, whatever I wear the spray keeps my glasses clear, and I wear really big glasses, my eyesight is awful

I've mostly been wearing masks I've made myself, so double layer of cotton and a bit of muslin or polyester. I've worn disposable masks too. Doesn't make much difference, whatever I wear the spray keeps my glasses clear, and I wear really big glasses, my eyesight is awful

How much is the spray?

I can't remember for sure but I think around 12eu. I've used it for a month now and it's only a third gone. I was genuinely surprised it worked so well.

I can't remember for sure but I think around 12eu. I've used it for a month now and it's only a third gone. I was genuinely surprised it worked so well.

Thanks mil for that info. I'd love to keep using the masks I've grown used to and that spray may well be my answer and it's not that expensive. And we have a Specsavers in my town.:)

Advertisement