Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yellow rattle

Options
  • 23-08-2020 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where I would get yellow rattle seeds? I have looked in the local flower shops and they don’t have many seeds this time of year at all. These need to be planted by the end of September, so I’d like to get them soon.

There’s loads of them in British websites, but I’d prefer to get them in Ireland if possible (though it probably makes no big difference to the variety??)

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

https://www.thegardenshop.ie/yellow-rattle-seeds/ but says it;s out of stock!

I got mine (well waiting for mine) from a UK site

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Random sample

https://www.thegardenshop.ie/yellow-rattle-seeds/ but says it;s out of stock!

I got mine (well waiting for mine) from a UK site

Thanks. I’ve had an email notification set for there for months and it hasn’t come in. I think I’ll just order from the uk at this stage. I don’t want to be refrigerating it and planting in spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Bill Hook

Does anyone know where I would get yellow rattle seeds? I have looked in the local flower shops and they don’t have many seeds this time of year at all. These need to be planted by the end of September, so I’d like to get them soon.

There’s loads of them in British websites, but I’d prefer to get them in Ireland if possible (though it probably makes no big difference to the variety??)

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

You could try getting in touch with Biodiversity Ireland to find a site with yellow rattle growing wild somewhere close to where you live, there is lots of information on their website: https://www.biodiversityireland.ie/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/Pollinator-How-to-Guide-2-Seeds_FINAL.pdf

Using their website I found a site (with public access) about 10km away from me last year. The seed I collected grew in a few places and is now setting seed in my front lawn.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

seedaholic, keep in mind you might have to wait for them to harvest seed at this time of year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Sutton seeds in UK have the best seeds and quick postage
    You could try Irish seed savers in Clare but I don't know if they post
    Yellow rattle is a weed that you might not want to plant
    the plant, also known as yellow rattle weed, spreads rapidly and can become highly invesive Yellow rattle plants are semi-parasitic weeds that survive by drawing nitrogen and other nutrients from nearby plants. The plant thrives in sunny, open locations. Although the plant attempts to tap into the roots of any type of nearby plant, it tends to parasitize grasses more than any other plant. Yellow rattle is especially problematic in hay and grass fieldsThe best way to manage yellow rattle is to mow or pull the plant before it blooms. If the plant blooms, mow it well before the flowers go to seed. Once the plant drops its seeds on the soil, it becomes very difficult to contol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

People plant yellow rattle for that reason in home wildflower meadows, it weakens and suppresses the grass due to being parasitic, so they get the flowers they are looking for.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

maybe give sandro cafolla in irish wildflowers a shout? they don't seem to specifically stock it as an individual item but it may be part of their meadow mixes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Got mine and a wildflower mix in the post today from www.meadowmania.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Got mine and a wildflower mix in the post today from www.meadowmania.ie

Just to point out that a U.K. site and OP was looking for an Irish source. Their mixes look nice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

_Brian wrote: »
    Just to point out that a U.K. site and OP was looking for an Irish source. Their mixes look nice though.

Agreed, and there are often subtle differences between Irish and UK or other wildflower seeds. Better to stick to the local ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Seedaholic have them in stock now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Random sample

Thanks all. Thegardenshop got them back in stock, Ive got some and planted them. Hopefully I will see the benefit next summer.

Advertisement