Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gareth O'Callaghan nails what many of us are thinking...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,706 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

plodder wrote: »
    I've never heard of this "Una McGurk" person, but it must be unprecedented for both the Min for Justice and the Taoiseach to call for you to lose your job for speaking at a rally ...

It's a government appointment, so of course they can.

She's a senior counsel, she won't end up on the dole.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

But the rally had nothing to do with immigration ..

Yet the usual suspects were all over it.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭CertifiedSimp

People like to connect and then discredit people.

If there's a protest and the Irish Freedom Party support it then suddenly all of those at the protest support the Irish Freedom Party.

The likes of the repeated election failure Saoirse McHugh called those who attended fascists and racists. They're dirty tactics.

Imagine someone calling for climate action but because McHugh also supports it, suddenly all those calling for climate action want to tear down capitalism and don't think borders should exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

3xh wrote: »
    Just like the politically backed BLM ‘movement’ and their worldwide ‘demonstrations’?

Don’t forget, owlbethere, many of those BLM protests took place during official worldwide lockdowns earlier in this crisis. And they had far greater turn-outs too. Nothing much was said or highlighted by that, through so called mainstream channels.

If you can’t verbalise (even to yourself) where your red line is with continuous state intervention, your unquestioning support for government imposed lockdowns, guidelines, initiatives, etc, is as valid as those ‘anti-mask’ protestors.

LOL at continuous state intervention.

There wouldnt be any need for the state to intervene if it wasn't for idiots breaking public health guidelines. Leo asked the population in March not to form in large crowds and gatherings. They did that because the virus was here and cases were growing. What did some people do? Form in crowds in temple bar. The government had to intervene to implement measures for public health.

What the anti masks crowd don't realise is that the requirement for masks is to slow down spread across the population in the hope of preventing another lockdown, something that they are also against.

I don't like the masks myself and its a bother and it's so easy to forget and to some degree I think it's going to cause a false sense of security with people not using them properly and maybe forgetting to social distance too. I don't have time to stand on the streets in the capital to protest about it. I just get on with it. What's the point in getting riled up about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭plodder

Yet the usual suspects were all over it.
    so 'guilt by association' then.

and being a quasi judicial body, IPAT is supposed to be independent of the government, a bit like the judiciary itself, which MM was quick to point out yesterday, in relation to the judge at the Clifden dinner.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

She sits on an immigration appeals board and appears to have similar interests to an anti-immigration group. What the protest was about is immaterial!
    Her views cannot be deemed anything but tainted.

so 'guilt by association' then.

If you freely choose to associate with crackpots, racists, fascists and xenophobes, people will use that to inform their opinion of you.

And talk of the independence of the judiciary is bollocks when they are appointed by politicians and serving judges are schmoozing with politicians.

If you freely choose to associate with crackpots, racists, fascists and xenophobes, people will use that to inform their opinion of you.

And talk of the independence of the judiciary is bollocks when they are appointed by politicians and serving judges are schmoozing with politicians.

All those who support BLM should take a long look at themselves so.

The number of black supremacists, anti semetics in it is astounding

• Registered Users Posts: 5,742 ✭✭✭abff

All those who support BLM should take a long look at themselves so.

The number of black supremacists, anti semetics in it is astounding

What’s astounding is the level of false equivalency in that comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The majority of people have complied for months now.
    The virus won't go away if we hide under the bed. It will just wait until we come back out.

At some point we'll have to accept that a small number will die.

Say there was an isolated island of the coast where we decided to have a covid colony, where you could go and catch it - would you go? I bet you wouldn't, even if I would like to send you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

She sits on an immigration appeals board and appears to have similar interests to an anti-immigration group. What the protest was about is immaterial!
    Her views cannot be deemed anything but tainted.
    Does this logic transfer to Roderick O'Gorman's admiration for Peter Tatchell, who he described as a legend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I have noticed across various social media platforms that more people than normally would are buying into the wild assertions that the pandemic is some sort of globalist conspiracy.

On the face of it, I can only surmise that many of these people are developing mental health problems and heightened anxiety due to being out of work or whatever with the pandemic and using it to as a channel to vent their anger.

Its a worrying trend. Some of these people I would never of previously for a moment put in the same bucket as Gemma O'Doherty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

It's simple for me, the rally was breaking restrictions. Don't give a fcuk if it's blm, anti masks or whatever. All of them just show how stupid people can be. Once the covid is sorted all these muppets can go and protest as much as they like and it won't bother me at all.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I have noticed across various social media platforms that more people than normally would are buying into the wild assertions that the pandemic is some sort of globalist conspiracy.

On the face of it, I can only surmise that many of these people are developing mental health problems and heightened anxiety due to being out of work or whatever with the pandemic and using it to as a channel to vent their anger.

Its a worrying trend. Some of these people I would never of previously for a moment put in the same bucket as Gemma O'Doherty.
    There has always been a willing audience for this nonsense, it's just that up until the advent of social media it was harder for these groups to spread their message.

Since the barrier to entry to twitter and Facebook is so low, you have everyone with access. Inevitably it means that those susceptible to influence from this form of messaging will hear and be influenced by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Indeed, but free speech doesn't mean a whole lot if the state can threaten your livelihood for expressing it. I've never heard of this "Una McGurk" person, but it must be unprecedented for both the Min for Justice and the Taoiseach to call for you to lose your job for speaking at a rally ...

It is quite odd. Trying to distract from the golf gate issue I suspect.

Although its unfortunate to see our two highest leaders condemning a protest, not for health reasons of protesting (where they should have also condemned the BLM protests outside the US embassy where masks were rare and distancing was non existant) , but instead condemning it because of other values held by some of the attendees.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

paw patrol wrote: »
    i was there . I was there only for the masks/restrictions , i'd no interest in any other agenda.
    Any protest will bring people with different agendas and that's just how it is .

I don't know of O'Callaghans previous but we can see people like jedward (I know they aren't the greatest example but their stance was highlighted so it's a good example in that way) slammed the march yet went to the BLM march. These idiots justified it cos their concern mattered but the concerns they don't agree with don't matter.

I'm protesting because of the infringement on our civil liberties primarily.
    The recent decision that a garda can enter my house on their opinion that i've a few lads over is frightening. That's real police state stuff and if you don't see that then that's really weird. If your personal freedoms don't matter to you - that's fine but they are important to me.

I also don't believe the numbers and severity of the illness warrant the enforcement of lockdowns and restrictions.
    If you want restrictions that is fine. We can do like Japan - which has had similar restrictions to ours but they aren't law nor mandatory but guidelines. But that isn't what is here in ireland.

For people giving out about protestors (like me).
    What is your red line from the government?
    When will you say , that the restrictions have gone too far?

Chances are when you finally think that , it will probably be too late to reverse.

To be honest, I have no fear or concern that a Garda is going to break down my door and enter my house to arrest me while I'm sitting at the kitchen table with my wife and/or baby. A change in the law allowing gardaí to do that in specific circumstances doesn't make me any more concerned either.

It seems to me that those that do worry about these kinds of things are the very people who have multiple and ongoing interactions with AGS. Outside of checkpoints or getting a form stamped I've had limited interactions with AGS.

Usually those with the greatest concern about the perceived power of the Gardaí are those with most to fear and hide. Tbh I've no issue with the gardaí having a greater toolbox to deal with these kinds of things.

Say there was an isolated island of the coast where we decided to have a covid colony, where you could go and catch it - would you go? I bet you wouldn't, even if I would like to send you.

Nonsense post. Maybe we can have a colony for people that want to lockdown forever?

Mandatory to wear full PPE, visors and masks before you leave your tent. Wouldn't want to catch a cold now would ya.

Nonsense post. Maybe we can have a colony for people that want to lockdown forever?

Mandatory to wear full PPE, visors and masks before you leave your tent. Wouldn't want to catch a cold now would ya.

Lol you keep spreading this bs on every covid thread, over and over

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭plodder

And that's fine, but contrary to what you said earlier not all SCs are rolling in the money and they depend on the state for a lot of their work (eg criminal lawyers). So, for the government to threaten people by witholding work from them definitely affects their freedom of speech.
    You mustn't pay much attention to the courts then, because judges regularly give the government a bloody nose with decision that cause them serious problems.

Eg one the other day where a judge ruled against the DEpt of Education in favour of a home-schooled teenager who they wouldn't give calculated grades in the Leaving cert to.

So you wouldn't go then. Glad we cleared that up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,327 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

We want it over like you do, but in the meantime what masks are doing, actually doing, is stopping the spread, helping it do less damage so people with asthmas, and other vulnerable conditions are not picked off and killed off by these absolutely fûcking thick as pig selfish shîtball mentalists...

Masks are not to help politics or politicians... they are all sitting in gated communities and houses on the hills, complete with everything and everyone at their beck and call.

On the other hand I need to go to the shops in 20... I need to buy T-shirt’s, socks and some food... what can you do to help me not get covid ? What I can and will do for everyone is just wear a mask. Makes me a bit warmer, a bit uncomfortable but nothing that can kill me, covid might kill me or make me very sick.

As I’m putting on a mask I’m not thinking of politicians, not thinking about anything apart from doing something easy and helpful...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Strumms wrote: »
    We want it over like you do, but in the meantime what masks are doing, actually doing, is stopping the spread, helping it do less damage so people with asthmas, and other vulnerable conditions are not picked off and killed off by these absolutely fûcking thick as pig selfish shîtball mentalists...

Masks are not to help politics or politicians... they are all sitting in gated communities and houses on the hills, complete with everything and everyone at their beck and call.

On the other hand I need to go to the shops in 20... I need to buy T-shirt’s, socks and some food... what can you do to help me not get covid ? What I can and will do for everyone is just wear a mask. Makes me a bit warmer, a bit uncomfortable but nothing that can kill me, covid might kill me or make me very sick.

As I’m putting on a mask I’m not thinking of politicians, not thinking about anything apart from doing something easy and helpful...

No there not, can you point me to where our cases or cases anywhere have went down since masks were mandated for healthy people in non high risk environments.
    You think your doing you bit, your not, you've just blindly accepted government advice and a law that says you can go to jail for 6mts for nipping in to get the Sunday paper without checking the evidence, or no evidence in this case.

You putting on a mask is doing feck all if you don't need one or aren't putting yourself in harms way.

No there not, can you point me to where our cases or cases anywhere have went down since masks were mandated for healthy people in non high risk environments.
    You think your doing you bit, your not, you've just blindly accepted government advice and a law that says you can go to jail for 6mts for nipping in to get the Sunday paper without checking the evidence, or no evidence in this case.

You putting on a mask is doing feck all if you don't need one or aren't putting yourself in harms way.

Ignorance at it's best, thought you can do better. Blaming masks for increase in cases :D But anyway there's thread for masks as you know.

The same fools complaining about the march at the weekend were the same fools supporting the BLM protests. The BLM one was farrr worse given we were in the peak of the pandemic, travel restrictions and businesses shut.

The same fools complaining about the march at the weekend were the same fools supporting the BLM protests. The BLM one was farrr worse given we were in the peak of the pandemic, travel restrictions and businesses shut.

Well, I can tell you both of them pissed me off equally..

Why don't we lockdown every year during the winter?

Why don't we just permanently wear masks?

If wearing masks is so helpful against Covid, it would obviously prevent the spread of flu's / colds etc.
    Why did you not wear one last year?

Perhaps you perceive there to be a big threat to your health now?
    However, the stats suggest otherwise. Around 0.035% of our population died with Covid. A figure that is way overstated as well.

A very minor threat considering we have crashed the economy, have record numbers of people unemployed and everybody is wearing a mask to grab some milk.

Perhaps the best cure available is to just stop being so precious.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

xhomelezz wrote: »
    Ignorance at it's best, thought you can do better. Blaming masks for increase in cases :D But anyway there's thread for masks as you know.

Go listen to the Professor in my earlier post, advisory to the WHO and that was recorded in Ireland last week, it's a pity the whole thing isn't online as you'd see him pull up our guys on their bull**** mask mandate. If your going to mandate something it should be an evidence based decision which it wasn't here it was a knee jerk reaction to a screaming media.

I condemned the BLM protest at the time too. Pointless and moronic I think I referred to it as.
    Ignorance isn't the preserve of the right or the left.

Go listen to the Professor in my earlier post, advisory to the WHO and that was recorded in Ireland last week, it's a pity the whole thing isn't online as you'd see him pull up our guys on their bull**** mask mandate. If your going to mandate something it should be an evidence based decision which it wasn't here it was a knee jerk reaction to a screaming media.

Pretty sure watched it already. And nope. And again, this thread is not about masks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭i_surge

The majority of people have complied for months now.
    The virus won't go away if we hide under the bed. It will just wait until we come back out.

At some point we'll have to accept that a small number will die.

The some become the many when left uncontrolled.

That is painfully obvious to anyone with a functioning brain.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement