Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gareth O'Callaghan nails what many of us are thinking...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Why don't we lockdown every year during the winter?

Why don't we just permanently wear masks?

If wearing masks is so helpful against Covid, it would obviously prevent the spread of flu's / colds etc.
    Why did you not wear one last year?

Perhaps you perceive there to be a big threat to your health now?
    However, the stats suggest otherwise. Around 0.035% of our population died with Covid. A figure that is way overstated as well.

A very minor threat considering we have crashed the economy, have record numbers of people unemployed and everybody is wearing a mask to grab some milk.

Perhaps the best cure available is to just stop being so precious.

Just have to laugh at this, you are seriously paranoid. But hey there's cure for that. Repeating bs over and over doesn't mean it will become truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,090 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I've been wearing a seatbelt in my car for over 20 years. Not once has it saved my life. Maybe you think I've gathered enough evidence that I can now drive happy without a seatbelt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭i_surge

If wearing masks is so helpful against Covid, it would obviously prevent the spread of flu's / colds etc.

However, the stats suggest otherwise. Around 0.035% of our population died with Covid. A figure that is way overstated as well.

A very minor threat considering we have crashed the economy, have record numbers of people unemployed and everybody is wearing a mask to grab some milk.

Flu isn't a novel existential threat and there is a vaccine for it. Holding my tongue on what i really want to say :(

xhomelezz wrote: »
    Just have to laugh at this, you are seriously paranoid. But hey there's cure for that. Repeating bs over and over doesn't mean it will become truth.

Which part is BS? Do you think the percentage is wrong?
    Do you think more people have died?

i_surge wrote: »
    Flu isn't a novel existential threat and there is a vaccine for it. Holding my tongue on what i really want to say :(

Let me guess, some waffle about zero covid ;)

• Advertisement

Good grief :D

Wasting your time, that post is absolutely gone out of the hand. Poster is by now running, panicking and screaming.. in circles. But he's lucky, there's proper treatment for that problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

This is the Dunning-Kruger effect at play. The smartest most informed people generally have doubts about the extent of their knowledge. The confidence of these people suggests they're very early in the knowledge cycle. Besides the fact that what they're spouting is totally baseless.

Absolutely. I have a friend who is a virologist. This is all right in her wheelhouse. She has been so humble and curious and so not gobby the last six months. Putting her head down, working hard on testing, continually finding out all she can about the virus and, crucially, being very honest about what her workplace got wrong about the pandemic. Yeah, those who are well-informed are also well aware of where they fell short.

xhomelezz wrote: »
    Wasting your time, that post is absolutely gone out of the hand. Poster is by now running, panicking and screaming.. in circles. But he's lucky, there's proper treatment for that problem.

No, I am right here laughing. :D
    Covid is now an existential threat apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Covid and the flu aren't comparable though.
    We also don't know the long term impacts of covid either. It's not just about death.

Also you quote an Irish death rate figure. A figure which is of course skewed by the fact that we took a variety of public health measures including lock downs, Social distancing, increased hand hygiene and cough/sneeze etiquette, increased use of masks, individual isolation, cocooning of medically vulnerable etc.

What would our hospitalisation and death rates be in the absence of those measures?

• Advertisement

Which part is BS? Do you think the percentage is wrong?
    Do you think more people have died?

I'm sorry, not gonna bother. Good luck in your minority world :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

That OP is full of the kind of nonsense, fear and hysteria that has led us to this point.

The death rate of Covid in Ireland is tiny. Only 1777 "deaths". Factor in that the government have openly admitted to overstating the deaths by a lot. And lots of the deaths are people that died WITH Covid as opposed to OF Covid.

Perhaps we should act like grown ups and accept that some people will get sick and some people might die. The same way lots of other illnesses kill people each year.

Time to get back to work while there is still an economy left to salvage.

Yeah I must tell the late 30s woman of my acquaintance who came close to dying from covid and who, two months on, is still dealing with severe health problems that it's no biggie. :rolleyes:

I'd also question the dying-with-not-of sentiment. Many people have terminal illnesses that they can expect to eke out a good few years with. If covid kills them, it's covid that killed them, not the underlying illness. Indeed you can say they died with-not-of the underlying illness, with covid being the primary cause. If a person has covid but their death was actually caused by complications of their underlying illness, then you can say that they died with covid, not of it. But the presence of an underlying illness alone doesn't mean that it wasn't covid that killed them. If someone could have expected another five years with an illness and covid took them out, then the virus is the cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,837 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Have you ever thought about getting in contact with the WHO?

I'm sure their virology experts will love to hear your groundbreaking thoughts on the matter.

Didn't take long for the usual NP and similar shills to find the thread and cover themselves in glory as expected.

Sorry lads but it’s all just the same nonsense over and over again.

We don’t know the long term affects...
    I know a person that knows a person that nearly died of Covid...
    Terminally ill people died because of Covid, not the crippling lung cancer they had...

Thankfully Covid is not the threat people thought it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The case fatality rate from a bunch of studies is coming out at around 0.6%, the vast majority in the elderly and immunocompromised. That number you quoted just means 5% of the population were infected, roughly speaking. H1N1 has a fatality rate that's vastly lower, less than 0.1%, and it didn't have the capability to overwhelm hospitals unlike covid-19 has already demonstrably done in dozens of countries.

I don't get why people are so triggered by wearing a mask. You don't need to wear one outside, if it's that inconvenient for you then maybe just get stuff delivered more instead? It's not that effective and not a substitute for lockdowns and social distancing, but if it keeps the spread of the virus more manageable then at least we can partly open up.

I think masks were discouraged to stop the notion that "we don't need lockdowns if we just wear masks instead" + continuity of supplies of PPE to hospitals etc. But that's backfired as it transpired that we probably do need them to make it safer for workers in shops and people using transport etc.

Still nothing I'd see worth protesting over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

The past few months gas thought me how greedy and selfish and fickle some people are. From some older people who will not be told what to do and refuse to carry out some basic manners of coughing/sneezing into tissue or elbows. They just don't care about others.
    To other people with an absolute massive sense of entitlement. There was news on the morning pennies opened of long queues that formed since early mornings. Is that what life has become? Queue from early morning for cheap trash. Others going out every weekend and doing the very opposite of what the public health guidelines and authorities are asking us to do to curb the spread of the virus. Some people walking around with an attitude of 'I'm alright Jack. It's probably just a little cold. I'll be grand' never mind about the risk of spreading the virus about to others who may not be able to tolerate the virus and to those more vulnerable.

To counter all this, there was a lot of good that was brought about. I love how so many people adapted quickly and easily. I loved musicians taking to Facebook and other social media and gigging in their living rooms. There was a lot of good but my god, there is some fcuking bad and its beginning to drown out the good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Sorry lads but it’s all just the same nonsense over and over again.

We don’t know the long term affects...
    I know a person that knows a person that nearly died of Covid...
    Terminally ill people died because of Covid, not the crippling lung cancer they had...

Thankfully Covid is not the threat people thought it would be.

How much experience do you have from the front line of dealing with this novel coronavirus?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

yeah but vaccines cause autism and stuff*

* according to some random discredited boffin widely cited on Facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Didn't take long for the usual NP and similar shills to find the thread and cover themselves in glory as expected.

Rather ironic since it's largely Irish born and bred that have been dying with it in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

owlbethere wrote: »
    The past few months gas thought me how greedy and selfish and fickle some people are. From some older people who will not be told what to do and refuse to carry out some basic manners of coughing/sneezing into tissue or elbows. They just don't care about others.
    To other people with an absolute massive sense of entitlement. There was news on the morning pennies opened of long queues that formed since early mornings. Is that what life has become? Queue from early morning for cheap trash. Others going out every weekend and doing the very opposite of what the public health guidelines and authorities are asking us to do to curb the spread of the virus. Some people walking around with an attitude of 'I'm alright Jack. It's probably just a little cold. I'll be grand' never mind about the risk of spreading the virus about to others who may not be able to tolerate the virus and to those more vulnerable.

To counter all this, there was a lot of good that was brought about. I love how so many people adapted quickly and easily. I loved musicians taking to Facebook and other social media and gigging in their living rooms. There was a lot of good but my god, there is some fcuking bad and its beginning to drown out the good.

The bad will now be drowning out the good I'm afraid from now on. There was a novelty in it really on, but that has gone.

As we face into winter there is nothing but bleakness on the horizon. This is the push back against this.

That said, if this is the response to covid who's will be a relatively short term adjustment, I cannot see how societies are going to cope with the massive changes being planned to deal with climate change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Uriel. wrote: »
    To be honest, I have no fear or concern that a Garda is going to break down my door and enter my house to arrest me while I'm sitting at the kitchen table with my wife and/or baby. A change in the law allowing gardaí to do that in specific circumstances doesn't make me any more concerned either.

It seems to me that those that do worry about these kinds of things are the very people who have multiple and ongoing interactions with AGS. Outside of checkpoints or getting a form stamped I've had limited interactions with AGS.

Usually those with the greatest concern about the perceived power of the Gardaí are those with most to fear and hide. Tbh I've no issue with the gardaí having a greater toolbox to deal with these kinds of things.

i hate this attitude.
    It's my house not theirs nor the state's. The gardai shouldn't own you to the extent they can come in just cos "they think" something. All citizens should be entitled to some privacy.

And if you argue covid19 supercedes that , then you are arguing the standards we apply to our society never mattered (ever) if they can be removed cos it's a unprecedented period.

At least getting a warrant shows some degree of evidence rather than a garda having a suspicion. if you don't think these new power can be mis-used then you should check Ireland's recent garda history -- Garda McCabe and Donegal are 2 examples that spring to mind.

Suppose you'd let them read your email too? if they asked :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,547 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

paw patrol wrote: »
    i hate this attitude.
    It's my house not theirs nor the state's. The gardai shouldn't own you to the extent they can come in just cos "they think" something. All citizens should be entitled to some privacy.

And if you argue covid19 supercedes that , then you are arguing the standards we apply to our society never mattered (ever) if they can be removed cos it's a unprecedented period.

At least getting a warrant shows some degree of evidence rather than a garda having a suspicion. if you don't think these new power can be mis-used then you should check Ireland's recent garda history -- Garda McCabe and Donegal are 2 examples that spring to mind.

Suppose you'd let them read your email too? if they asked :rolleyes:

Do you often have Gardai ask to read your emails?

pjohnson wrote: »
    Do you often have Gardai ask to read your emails?

a strange question to ask or comment to make based on what I posted.

But no.

a strange question to ask or comment to make based on what I posted.

But no.

So why would you expect them to suddenly ask?

The vast majority have nothing to worry about with regard any new garda powers.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,327 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

No there not, can you point me to where our cases or cases anywhere have went down since masks were mandated for healthy people in non high risk environments.
    You think your doing you bit, your not, you've just blindly accepted government advice and a law that says you can go to jail for 6mts for nipping in to get the Sunday paper without checking the evidence, or no evidence in this case.

You putting on a mask is doing feck all if you don't need one or aren't putting yourself in harms way.

Incorrect, I’ve already quoted studies re: mask wearing from professionals... they are helping slow and stop the spread of covid.

pjohnson wrote: »
    So why would you expect them to suddenly ask?

The vast majority have nothing to worry about with regard any new garda powers.

they will be able to inspect you at any time to see that you are compliant.
    That is mental that you think that is ok and reasonable behaviour in a (so called) free society>

they will be able to inspect you at any time to see that you are compliant.
    That is mental that you think that is ok and reasonable behaviour in a (so called) free society>

Well I've managed to never come to the attention of a Garda at any stage in my life so far so dont see why that would change.

If you are on regular terms with them then I guess this poses a big problem. But that is probably a problem of your own making, can't blame Gardai for doing their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

yeah but vaccines cause autism and stuff*

* according to some random discredited boffin widely cited on Facebook

Oh give over. Research H1N1 (a coronavirus) and its vaccine, Pandemrix. It was developed by GSK who are also developing these fast-tracked Covid vaccines.

Research Primodos and how the medical industry not only got it wrong but then lied and obfuscated for years.

Research Thalidomide.

These are just the high profile cock-ups over many many years. Not just late 19th-century medicine.

I wouldn’t wish any of those^^^ medical intervention effects on anybody. Yet some people here are gagging for the Covid vaccine and laugh at those who call for thorough vaccine testing and reasoned measures in the meantime while we await it.

• Advertisement

3xh wrote: »
    Oh give over. Research H1N1 (a coronavirus) and its vaccine, Pandemrix. It was developed by GSK who are also developing these fast-tracked Covid vaccines.

Research Primodos and how the medical industry not only got it wrong but then lied and obfuscated for years.

Research Thalidomide.

These are just the high profile cock-ups over many many years. Not just late 19th-century medicine.

I wouldn’t wish any of those^^^ medical intervention effects on anybody. Yet some people here are gagging for the Covid vaccine and laugh at those who call for thorough vaccine testing and reasoned measures in the meantime while we await it.

Ah ok, no more vaccine for me ever, thanks to this breathtaking post.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement