Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gareth O'Callaghan nails what many of us are thinking...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

And just because I'm working myself up over this now, all of this "do your research", "1.5% fatality rate" and "look at previous vaccine mishaps" is just absurd. Is it too much to consult objective, scholarly studies that show how a corona vaccine would be differentiated from previous vaccine mishaps? Is it too much to consider that maybe, just maybe, there are other things pertaining to Covid that we do not know about yet (i.e. its longitudinal effects, for which to measure we simply have not had enough time yet but early indicators are not looking positive)? Is it too much to consider that your source of information is an echo chamber designed to reaffirm your own set of predesignated cognitive biases? I'm tired of the intellectual laziness, I'm tired of expecting people to do better. I'm not the next Newton, I'm just someone who treats most things he reads with scepticism and defers to the experts because I have some understanding of (a) how little I know and (b) how much more certain people could know and understand than me, ie people who have been studying/working in relevant areas for their entire careers.

I'm tired of the arrogance, the laziness, the straw man arguments, the pretence of objectivity, the disenfranchised desperately coping and turning to outlandish conspiracy theories, I'm tired of the anti-science rhetoric that is based on nothing but feelings, I'm tired of it all. And I'm tired, most of all, of this strange sociological phenomenon being entertained and not challenged. Can people not just do better? It's not that much to ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭i_surge

And just because I'm working myself up over this now, all of this "do your research", "1.5% fatality rate" and "look at previous vaccine mishaps" is just absurd. Is it too much to consult objective, scholarly studies that show how a corona vaccine would be differentiated from previous vaccine mishaps? Is it too much to consider that maybe, just maybe, there are other things pertaining to Covid that we do not know about yet (i.e. its longitudinal effects, for which to measure we simply have not had enough time yet but early indicators are not looking positive)? Is it too much to consider that your source of information is an echo chamber designed to reaffirm your own set of predesignated cognitive biases? I'm tired of the intellectual laziness, I'm tired of expecting people to do better. I'm not the next Newton, I'm just someone who treats most things he reads with scepticism and defers to the experts because I have some understanding of (a) how little I know and (b) how much more certain people could have of me.

I'm tired of the arrogance, the laziness, the straw man arguments, the pretence of objectivity, the disenfranchised desperately coping and so they turn to outlandish conspiracy theories, I'm tired of the anti-science rhetoric that is based on nothing but feelings, I'm tired of it all. And I'm tired, most of all, of it being entertained and not challenged. Can people not just do better? It's not that much to ask.

Bravo, I am in the same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

These protestors should be listed and booked - if they come down with the virus, they shouldn't be afforded medical care if it means someone else won't get their ICU bed. See how convicted they'll be in their beliefs if they face actual repercussions. (Obviously this won't be enough to save their family, relatives, or just the welfare of random people that they negligently interact with in daily life but it's a start.) If this is how they choose to respond to society in times of crisis, then society needs to respond to them and take no prisoners in the process.

When I learned about this protest I thought it would funny if that shower all contracted Covid but then I thought of all the work and danger it would mean for nurses and doctors and others.

The likes of this scum wouldn't catch it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Sorry lads but it’s all just the same nonsense over and over again.

We don’t know the long term affects...
    I know a person that knows a person that nearly died of Covid...
    Terminally ill people died because of Covid, not the crippling lung cancer they had...

Thankfully Covid is not the threat people thought it would be.

The woman I mentioned had no underlying condition. She’s been out of her induced coma for two months now and is still dealing with regular blood clots and being unable to eat. What is nonsensical about her situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

There is no talking to rent a mobs with an agenda to disrupt and defy everything. Sadly.

Everyone processes information differently. They're more kinaesthetic. Morse code using batons could be very successful. It's simply a question of trying it.

• Advertisement

flazio wrote: »
    I've been wearing a seatbelt in my car for over 20 years. Not once has it saved my life. Maybe you think I've gathered enough evidence that I can now drive happy without a seatbelt?

You're a proper nutter. And you're probably going to the shops with that seatbelt on too?! Good God.

I've heard they're right uncomfortable on the bosoms. And apparently they only stop you going forward in a crash. So, useless!!

Major hassle taking them off when you're getting out of a car. Very hard to talk or even hear with them on.

I just click mine in and sit on it. And I get a right f*ckin laugh when I drive past the filth and their checkpoints and all the sheep around me too.

Patriots, don't belt up. Just keep talking sh1te.

These protestors should be listed and booked - if they come down with the virus, they shouldn't be afforded medical care if it means someone else won't get their ICU bed. See how convicted they'll be in their beliefs if they face actual repercussions. (Obviously this won't be enough to save their family, relatives, or just the welfare of random people that they negligently interact with in daily life but it's a start.) If this is how they choose to respond to society in times of crisis, then society needs to respond to them and take no prisoners in the process.

Yes, many consultants began to take a stance against those who continued to smoke and yet expected expensive, scarce resource, treatment. Back of the line, sh1theads.

And just because I'm working myself up over this now, all of this "do your research", "1.5% fatality rate" and "look at previous vaccine mishaps" is just absurd. Is it too much to consult objective, scholarly studies that show how a corona vaccine would be differentiated from previous vaccine mishaps? Is it too much to consider that maybe, just maybe, there are other things pertaining to Covid that we do not know about yet (i.e. its longitudinal effects, for which to measure we simply have not had enough time yet but early indicators are not looking positive)? Is it too much to consider that your source of information is an echo chamber designed to reaffirm your own set of predesignated cognitive biases? I'm tired of the intellectual laziness, I'm tired of expecting people to do better. I'm not the next Newton, I'm just someone who treats most things he reads with scepticism and defers to the experts because I have some understanding of (a) how little I know and (b) how much more certain people could know and understand than me, ie people who have been studying/working in relevant areas for their entire careers.

I'm tired of the arrogance, the laziness, the straw man arguments, the pretence of objectivity, the disenfranchised desperately coping and turning to outlandish conspiracy theories, I'm tired of the anti-science rhetoric that is based on nothing but feelings, I'm tired of it all. And I'm tired, most of all, of this strange sociological phenomenon being entertained and not challenged. Can people not just do better? It's not that much to ask.

THIS is the post of the pandemic on Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

So take your chances with a disease that kills 1 in 100 over a vaccine (if similar to H1N1) that had negative side effects for 1 in 55000.

Right.

Covid does not kill 1 in 100. There’s that statistic manipulation thing again.

And as Accumulator pointed out, 1 in 55000 refers to one particular country. Pandemrix affected numerous recipients in a number of countries. Did you choose to ignore the higher incidence countries?

Take the Covid jab if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭plodder

i_surge wrote: »
    Notice how it is planned to launch into making it before the trials conclude, huge motivation for those trials to then "succeed".
    Is that the best you can come up with?

There are dozens of different vaccines being developed. Considering that a botched vaccine could cause way more damage than the virus itself, why would a bad one get approved?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

feargale wrote: »
    BLM marchers were wrong to come out. Therefore I should balance that by protesting against masks while not wearing one. Exquisite logic :rolleyes:

Those pesky guards infringe on my civil liberties every day. They won't allow me cycle my bike in the middle of the road

My personal freedoms and civil liberties will be a fat lot of use to me when I'm dead.

that isn't what I said that's what jedward (and others) said.

But the point remains, that the protest at the weekend received more backlash in terms of covid19 than the BLM one did. That is hypocrisy at its finest .

It's hard to protest about the restrictions by obeying the restrictions , how hard is that to understand?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

NINTCHDBPICT000586875425.jpg

That picture would grind your gears, they have no right to give out about anti mandatory maskers when the don't know how to use one themselves.

That picture would grind your gears, they have no right to give out about anti mandatory maskers when the don't know how to use one themselves.

You point would have been effectively made with a smaller photo and I would not have thrown up so much my mouth.:mad:

• Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭CertifiedSimp

Jedward are fools. And of course the virtue signallers like Hazel chu are licking their holes.

Do these people look into BLM at all? People saying "just because you support BLM doesn't mean you support the organisation". No, just no. BLM is synonomous with the organisation. Saying BLM and claiming you don't support the organisation doesn't wash with me. You can say end racism, or against hate or anything else.

There's been a LOT of controversy in the US with BLM and those who support it and their connections to Lou Farrakhan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Farrakhan

I don't think many people realise how much black supremacy and anti semitism exists.

Farrakhan is evil yet lots of prominent black people support him. Even Emimen is associated with him.

Here's an article from one of the best basketball players of all time calling it out. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/kareem-abdul-jabbar-is-outrage-anti-semitism-sports-hollywood-1303210

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Everyone processes information differently. They're more kinaesthetic. Morse code using batons could be very successful. It's simply a question of trying it.

I'd say if the sick stick from Minority Report was a real thing it would lead people think twice about acting like this crowd of morons.

Terrible job for the person who hats clean up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Im amazed no one said boo about the black lives matter protests yet are all over this.

Spain made masks mandatory even if you are alone on the street or in a forest - look at their numbers since they implemented this law.

When I learned about this protest I thought it would funny if that shower all contracted Covid but then I thought of all the work and danger it would mean for nurses and doctors and others.

The likes of this scum wouldn't catch it anyway.

would you say the same about the BLM protestors ?

would you say the same about the BLM protestors ?

Yes.

I don't think I was posting at that time as I was wanted to curb my internet usage are that time.

And I do not understand how it was let to go ahead.

Spain made masks mandatory even if you are alone on the street or in a forest - look at their numbers since they implemented this law.

The same is being replicated in lots of places with the mandatory masks, unless people are using them correctly they are more dangerous than useful. That's what the science says and that's what we're seeing in the numbers.
    The government need to revise their mandatory laws around them asap. They did not use any real world data to support this mandate.
    The misuse is off the scale, nobody keeping their distance and nobody cleaning their hands. Mask hygiene is non existent.

People walking around today with ringing wet ones, they've lost the plot.

The same is being replicated in lots of places with the mandatory masks, unless people are using them correctly they are more dangerous than useful. That's what the science says and that's what we're seeing in the numbers.
    The government need to revise their mandatory laws around them asap. They did not use any real world data to support this mandate.
    The misuse is off the scale, nobody keeping their distance and nobody cleaning their hands. Mask hygiene is non existent.

I didn't know wet masks would be a thing of concern. I just would swap one that was wet for the comfort of a dry one.

What do you mean by misuse? People touching the masks and pulling them under their nose?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭CertifiedSimp

Masks are giving people a sense of invincibility.

Months ago I went into a shop and people would see you in an aisle and turn away. Or they'd wait for you to move on from the fridge to see the items beside it.

Now, people just carry on as normal.

Months ago I went into a shop and people would see you in an aisle and turn away. Or they'd wait for you to move on from the fridge to see the items beside it.

I had associated that with the masks becoming mandatory.

I thought people were just getting lackadaisical because it has been going on for so long

I didn't know wet masks would be a thing of concern. I just would swap one that was wet for the comfort of a dry one.

What do you mean by misuse? People touching the masks and pulling them under their nose?

Yes everyone is touching the front of them, they are not washing them, I told one chap get out of the shop yesterday and get rid of that filthy mask, it was surgical one nearly black with dirt, probably using it for weeks.
    It's doing my nut in...clean your hands coming in, keep your distance and burn those filthy f'n things.

This is true. Very few of us are so well organised that we have fresh masks ready for every trip to a shop. More than once I was half way through the door before I remembered, back to the car, root around for a mask, stick it on.

Recently I accidentally re-used a mask inside out! Which means all the germs It had filtered out the use before were inhaled. Deeply inhaled too.

Now, you could say I'm not the brightest and you could be right but I'm quite sure I'm not the first or the last to make that mistake.

Yes everyone is touching the front of them, they are not washing them, I told one chap get out of the shop yesterday and get rid of that filthy mask, it was surgical one nearly black with dirt, probably using it for weeks.
    It's doing my nut in...clean your hands coming in, keep your distance and burn those filthy f'n things.

I touched the mask myself (first time) on Saturday in Dunnes. Fortunately I was on my way out the door. I didn't have my spare and wouldn't have know what to do if I had still been shopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Im amazed no one said boo about the black lives matter protests yet are all over this.

I said it at the time and plenty of others did too.

It's like the party affiliates on the FFG Thread arguing about Clifden vs the Bobby Storey Funeral. Most people found both disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Everyone really?? That's a bit hysterical conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Because people are't wearing them, are wearing them incorrectly, and most of all, not obeying the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

A guy in his 50s came into our shop the other day - refused to wear a facemask and refused to have his temperature checked. Was spouting that "he knew his constitutional rights etc." He wasn't left in.

How do nutjobs like this go about their daily business - causing arguments everywhere.

• Advertisement

Exactly, and it's making people really let their guard down when they are in places where masks are exempt - like outdoor terraces in restaurants.

If the corona virus targeted people walking down the street or hiking in mountains, but decided to take a break in terraces/restaurants - Spain would have it ****ing NAILED!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement