Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gareth O'Callaghan nails what many of us are thinking...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

xhomelezz wrote: »
    Everyone really?? That's a bit hysterical conclusion.

It's an evidence based conclusion based on my interactions with the general public on a daily basis throughout this pandemic.

I'm hysterical because it's bad policy based on 0 real world data. People are not using them as intended and when you do that all benefit goes out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,706 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

plodder wrote: »
    And that's fine, but contrary to what you said earlier not all SCs are rolling in the money and they depend on the state for a lot of their work (eg criminal lawyers). So, for the government to threaten people by witholding work from them definitely affects their freedom of speech.

She really should have a lot more cop on tbh, and I'm not mad keen on my taxes going towards the appointment of somebody with such poor judgement. NB that goes for every single one of the Clifden 81 as well.

You mustn't pay much attention to the courts then, because judges regularly give the government a bloody nose with decision that cause them serious problems.

Eg one the other day where a judge ruled against the DEpt of Education in favour of a home-schooled teenager who they wouldn't give calculated grades in the Leaving cert to.

'Justice must be seen do be done' etc. It's really not a good look that serving judges are going on illegal pissups with politicians, especially as there is a perception/reality that you need to be in with a governing party to get appointed as a judge in the first place.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Why don't we lockdown every year during the winter?

We have a flu vaccine and we offer it free to many at-risk groups, if they choose not to avail of it that's their choice.

Jedward pic

They are f**king idiots. But we knew that anyway. The BLM protest shouldn't have gone ahead. The backlash against it should have made it very clear to last Saturday's crowd that holding protests during a pandemic only makes you look like a sociopath and/or idiot. We're also a lot further down the line in terms of what ordinary people have had to go through as a result of this virus - lost earnings, cancelled weddings, funerals they couldn't attend, etc. which is why there is more anger now about bunches of fools who think rules don't apply to them - Gemmaroids and the Clifden 81 alike.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Greta_Funberg

I wear a mask but in my opinion, they've made people more caviler in regards to distancing etc, people are constantly at them with their hands and I do wonder how many are not being washed/replaced often.

I don't support protesting it but see little to no difference with them and protests of recent months which have been cheered by the media and others. I wonder why Gareth was so silent then... Hmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I wear a mask but in my opinion, they've made people more caviler in regards to distancing etc, people are constantly at them with their hands and I do wonder how many are not being washed/replaced often.

I go for walks in local parks where no one wears masks.
    The more cavalier attitude is on display there too re: distancing.
    I don't think it's anything to do with masks.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I go for walks in local parks where no one wears masks.
    The more cavalier attitude is on display there too re: distancing.
    I don't think it's anything to do with masks.

To be fair though, your chances of catching CV19 off someone walking past you in a park are incredibly small.

I remember a few months back McConkey I think it was said your chances of catching the virus in open spaces was 1 in a million.

Are you advocating the wearing of masks when out and about in the open air now as well?

NIMAN wrote: »
    To be fair though, your chances of catching CV19 off someone walking past you in a park are incredibly small.
    I remember a few months back McConkey I think it was said your chances of catching the virus in open spaces was 1 in a million.
    Are you advocating the wearing of masks when out and about in the open air now as well?

I wouldn't rule them out in specific settings outdoors where people are static for long time such as concerts or sports events.
    I used it more as an example to illustrate that I think distancing dropping happened before masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

I don't support protesting it but see little to no difference with them and protests of recent months which have been cheered by the media and others. I wonder why Gareth was so silent then... Hmm.

As he said he has a medical condition and he was out of circulation for a few days.

I missed that previous protest myself.

Or maybe he was angry but knew that if he spoke out then he would be classed as racist. Maybe this new bunch of idiots were just too much for him to take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭i_surge

Is that the best you can come up with?

There are dozens of different vaccines being developed. Considering that a botched vaccine could cause way more damage than the virus itself, why would a bad one get approved?

Human nature and this not being hollywood

We are horribly weak minded and easily influenced sometimes, plus i'm led to believe that dispensations from liability have been sought and granted but I'm open to correction on that.

Plenty of motivations for "fast tracking".

i_surge wrote: »
    We are horribly weak minded and easily influenced sometimes

Yeah which is why eejits like Gemma get traction...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭i_surge

Yeah which is why eejits like Gemma get traction...

Comes from all sides tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

Problem is.... Most of these protestors are probably flat earthers too.
    they will understand a punch more than education and reasoning and unfortunately these type of people are the one that the media love to give headlines to.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭SaltSweatSugar

He actually wrote a post criticising the BLM protest too. It’s on his Facebook page on the 2nd of June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

I feel the same about those who took to the streets to show solidarity with some killed criminal in the United states right in the middle of a pandemic.

And during a time of national restrictions too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭plodder

i_surge wrote: »
    Human nature and this not being hollywood
    Personally, I blame Hollywood for a lot of what I see as wrong. A lot of the antipathy to big corporations and "big pharma" in particular is down to stuff people see at the movies imo.
    We are horribly weak minded and easily influenced sometimes, plus i'm led to believe that dispensations from liability have been sought and granted but I'm open to correction on that.

Plenty of motivations for "fast tracking".
    So, we shouldn't be ramping up manufacturing capability in advance of approval of the most promising vaccines? Is that your point? Should we use the normal vaccine development process that has never taken less than five years instead?

'Justice must be seen do be done' etc. It's really not a good look that serving judges are going on illegal pissups with politicians, especially as there is a perception/reality that you need to be in with a governing party to get appointed as a judge in the first place.
    You're talking about the supreme court judge now. I think what he did is a disgrace but the government isn't saying 'boo' to him. Instead, they decided to go after this lawyer because she stood on a platform with some people they don't like. I don't agree with the subject of this protest, but the longer this goes on, the more we have to accept that people will exercise their right to protest, probably more than the right to have dinner after that golf outing, which is probably why there has been some tolerance of both the BLM protest and this one to an extent.

The same is being replicated in lots of places with the mandatory masks, unless people are using them correctly they are more dangerous than useful. That's what the science says and that's what we're seeing in the numbers.
    The government need to revise their mandatory laws around them asap. They did not use any real world data to support this mandate.
    The misuse is off the scale, nobody keeping their distance and nobody cleaning their hands. Mask hygiene is non existent.

We already rebutted this argument on the Masks thread several times.
    The canard pops up here again.
    They have lots of real world data to support their use, you just ignore it.
    Data from other countries, data from US states before and after, data from case studies, data from getting suspect patients here to wear masks in health and care settings.

You are wearing a mask to contain your own droplets. Your mask hygiene is secondary to this. You're thinking about masks as PPE - that's not why masks are mandatory. Most masks are not PPE for you. They are CPE (community protection equipment) for those around you.

IF Masks were this dangerous thing you say they are, Czech Republic, early mask adopters in the EU would have worse figures than Ireland.

This is the masks thread for more rebuttals of these kinds of canards:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=114425219#post114425219

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Covid19 wrote: »
    I'm still shocked at the stupidity of those attending the "protest". I just can't seem to put into words the anger I feel.
    This man, I think, nails it on the head.
    From his Facebook post...

"This is a message to all those anti-mask protestors in Dublin yesterday. Like many others reading this, I have a serious illness, and this is how I spend mornings each week receiving treatment to keep my immune system strong and my body healthy. I don't want to catch Covid-19.

When I'm not on my own in this clinical treatment room I wear a face mask to protect me from idiots like you. Can you not show any care or compassion for the elderly and the most vulnerable who you scare, who might not be able to fight this virus if they catch it? People like your own parents?

Do you honestly think your parents or your children are proud of you for what you did yesterday, for behaving like a bunch of ignorant self-centred fools who seem to think there's some sort of solidarity in stupidity? You have been brainwashed.

Your actions yesterday are a direct slap in the face to our brave frontliners. Many of them continue to risk their lives to treat seriously ill coronavirus patients. Some of our frontliners are dead as a result of bravely putting their own lives on the line. They died tragically, and now you have the disgusting audacity to go and do exactly what could kill more of them by putting their lives at risk.

If you think you did something valiant and worthwhile yesterday, then you really need to take a long hard look at your life. Do you think your elderly parents will admire your behaviour yesterday? Do you think your kids will tell all their friends or their teachers about your protest when they return to school next week? No they won't. They're mortified by you, even though they probably won't tell you. You are a joke, even though it's not remotely funny.

Someday you might be staring up into the eyes of a paramedic, or a nurse, as they wheel you into ICU because you are critically ill with this virus. All you will be able to see is their eyes because they're wearing PPE gear to protect themselves against catching Covid-19 from you.

Do all of us who respect life, and how fragile it is and how uncertain these times are, a big favour: Grow up and get some sense.

Wear a mask. Wash your hands. Educate yourselves. Do something decent with your lives that your children will be proud of you for. Stop putting other people's lives at risk."

I have to say, I agree.

Someone needs to explain to Gareth that wearing a mask doesn’t protect the wearer. The irony of him calling others idiots when this has been explained multiple times.

xhomelezz wrote: »
    Actually surprised it took so long for this kind of post to show up on this thread. Yeah sure nonsense, hysteria, fear.. whatever makes you happy. Sick of reading this nonsense! I can follow measures and get on with life no problem, didn't stop working since this covid sh1tstorm started. This kind of attitude in this particular post is exactly what drives cases up and leave useless government to deal with it. So everything is mess by now and everything takes forever to deal with. If people comply, if companies comply, with the most basic rules to limit the spread, we would be somewhere else by now..

How did that work out for NZ? Czechia? Japan? All wore masks, played by the rules. Infections rising in all of them.

You’ve nothing but hysteria to add. Ireland isn’t doing it right. It’s other people’s fault. Etc. The virus isn’t going anywhere. Time to get on with things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

How did that work out for NZ? Czechia? Japan? All wore masks, played by the rules. Infections rising in all of them.

You’ve nothing but hysteria to add. Ireland isn’t doing it right. It’s other people’s fault. Etc. The virus isn’t going anywhere. Time to get on with things.

:D

WTF are you talking about? Lately the only ones mentioning lockdowns, fear, hysteria etc. is you and your pals, weird isn't it. My point is if people follow just the basics like social distancing, respiratory hygiene, hand washing, masks, there would be no need for other harsher restrictions. Countries you mentioned lifted restrictions masks included, so hence increase in infections. As far as I remember from the mask thread, you are one of the great examples of selfish arrogant clown. Wasn't it you clearly stating lying to your GP to get the letter you can't wear a mask?

• Advertisement

Where is the hysteria?
    That's not an argument, it's a slogan, you shout hysteria but fail to point to where in the post anything hysterical was said.

The Czech Republic are re-introducing mandatory masks after lifting the requirement following fall off in cases.
    They have more people than us and less than half our death toll.

New Zealand? Total number of covid-19 cases 1695. Infections rising from a tiny baseline.

If we had the masks and used them from March as community protective equipment we could have saved hundreds of lives here.

I have no idea what point you think you are making but it has nothing to do with masks. Masks are about getting on with things, and keeping any outbreaks confined to clusters and not into unknown community transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭LeBash

That OP is full of the kind of nonsense, fear and hysteria that has led us to this point.

The death rate of Covid in Ireland is tiny. Only 1777 "deaths". Factor in that the government have openly admitted to overstating the deaths by a lot. And lots of the deaths are people that died WITH Covid as opposed to OF Covid.

Perhaps we should act like grown ups and accept that some people will get sick and some people might die. The same way lots of other illnesses kill people each year.

Time to get back to work while there is still an economy left to salvage.

We spend billions in this country trying to prevent people from dying.

While I'm not particularly worried about the virus because I'm a pretty healthy person, I do worry about my grandmother who has COPD, my uncle who is recovering from cancer and when I think about that I am guessing most healthy people have someone in their life who is at very high risk. Because of that, i wear a mask.

What is the actual problem with wearing a mask? Genuinely I have no idea why a tiny minority are up in arms about it. Is it because it costs money?

The same is being replicated in lots of places with the mandatory masks, unless people are using them correctly they are more dangerous than useful. That's what the science says and that's what we're seeing in the numbers.
    The government need to revise their mandatory laws around them asap. They did not use any real world data to support this mandate.
    The misuse is off the scale, nobody keeping their distance and nobody cleaning their hands. Mask hygiene is non existent.

People walking around today with ringing wet ones, they've lost the plot.

I brought this up in the masks thread. For masks to work optimally they also have to be washed at 60 degrees plus every day. Just a guideline according to the mask zealots in that thread, it’ll still work even if you don’t. Mad how some things are set in stone to the maskers, yet inconvenient things are just guidelines.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Where is the hysteria?
    That's not an argument, it's a slogan, you shout hysteria but fail to point to where in the post anything hysterical was said.

The Czech Republic are re-introducing mandatory masks after lifting the requirement following fall off in cases.
    They have more people than us and less than half our death toll.

New Zealand? Total number of covid-19 cases 1695. Infections rising from a tiny baseline.

If we had the masks and used them from March as community protective equipment we could have saved hundreds of lives here.

I have no idea what point you think you are making but it has nothing to do with masks. Masks are about getting on with things, and keeping any outbreaks confined to clusters and not into unknown community transmission.

More hysteria. Masks would have saved hundred eh?? How would they have helped vulnerable nursing home residents who had convalescing patients forced into their homes, without being tested for Covid, to make room in hospitals for “the surge”??

We’re forced to mask up now, yet infections are flying up. Your statement is a contradiction.

• Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭CertifiedSimp

Wish the likes of McHugh and Chu would make up their minds. Was it a far right march or was it an anti masks march?

More hysteria. Masks would have saved hundred eh?? How would they have helped vulnerable nursing home residents who had convalescing patients forced into their homes, without being tested for Covid, to make room in hospitals for “the surge”??
    We’re forced to mask up now, yet infections are flying up. Your statement is a contradiction.

Hysteria?
    You keep shouting this in your posts in an excitable manner like an exclamation mark.
    "You Keep Using That Word, I Do Not Think It Means What You Think It Means."

Masks would have helped by limiting how many people an infected person exposed to the virus.

This post shows the graph of cases in health and care settings when general mask wearing policies were rolled out on 22nd April:
    Infections dropped dramatically:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114209691&postcount=7034

IF we had had such policies from the outset, our fatalities could have been more like that of the Czech Republic.

I brought this up in the masks thread. For masks to work optimally they also have to be washed at 60 degrees plus every day. Just a guideline according to the mask zealots in that thread, it’ll still work even if you don’t. Mad how some things are set in stone to the maskers, yet inconvenient things are just guidelines.
    It's blindingly obvious that a mask that hasn't been washed still catches the majority of droplets even if it's less than optimal. It can't be worse than no mask at all. It just can't.

It's blindingly obvious that a mask that hasn't been washed still catches the majority of droplets even if it's less than optimal. It can't be worse than no mask at all. It just can't.

The mask still serves its purpose as community protective equipment.
    Less so as personal protective equipement.

We could find lots of other examples e.g. NCT minimum tyre thread depth is 1.7mm but recommended is 3mm. The tyres are effective but sub-optimal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

We have a flu vaccine and we offer it free to many at-risk groups, if they choose not to avail of it that's their choice.

the flu vaccine is a "best guess" as to what the flu strain(s) will be that year. I think it's 3 different strains.
    They haven't a rashers if that guess ( or educated guess if you will ) is accurate or not until after the event.

The flu vaccine is not the vaccine to try prove your point on.

Wish the likes of McHugh and Chu would make up their minds. Was it a far right march or was it an anti masks march?

Chu-McHugh , imagine the babies :pac:
    Both absolute ****wits sadly given a platform

• Advertisement

It might seem obvious to you, but according to the qualified, independent scientist in post 10, masks are rendered useless if not used optimally, especially cloth masks. But i'm sure your qualifications vastly outstrip his.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement