Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wildflower seeds

Options
  • 23-08-2020 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭

hi I'm hoping to get some advice. I had an area of lawn very overgrown which I dug bup so it's a clean slate. It's about 25m square and I wanted to put wildflowers there. Went to garden centre to try and get mixed seed but seems it might be too late now to put down?

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

the goon wrote: »
    hi I'm hoping to get some advice. I had an area of lawn very overgrown which I dug bup so it's a clean slate. It's about 25m square and I wanted to put wildflowers there. Went to garden centre to try and get mixed seed but seems it might be too late now to put down?

Any advice appreciated.

not sure but I think it may be too late for this year. I planted mine in March/April and they have been flowering all Summer. They are just dying off about now.
    I know you can plant Foxglove seeds now to flower next year. You might find it hard to buy them so I'd suggest going online.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Wildflowers flower in summer then they drop their seeds in early autumn. Why would you do anything different?

Don't buy supermarket/garden centre 'wildflower' seeds, they are a mix of all sorts of random annuals that may have been sourced anywhere. Look for one of the wildflower seed suppliers online such as wildflowers.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭tedimc

The Pollinators website has a lot of useful info on this topic as I am planning the same. However, I thought it was good to plant up until September.

I also had a good chat with the team in ecoseeds, but there is a lot of other companies specializing in Wildflower seed.

https://pollinators.ie/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/How-to-guide-Wildflower-Meadows-2018-WEB.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭the goon

Thank you everyone for the great advice. It's very helpful.

Advertisement