Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dining out, what is 15.9% tax?

Options
  • 23-08-2020 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi folks,
    I purchased a meal in the food hall in Liffey Valley SC today from one of the large fast food chains. I'm not sure if I'm allowed post the name of it so I won't but the bill read like this:

Regular box meal €9
    -Food and drink items listed under this with no charges
    -Drink was a Pepsi max (sugar free)

Tax 15.9% = €1.23
    Take out €0.00
    Total paid: €9 (cash)

What is this included 15.9% tax?

Thanks,
    R7

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭sidcon

R75MM wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    I purchased a meal in the food hall in Liffey Valley SC today from one of the large fast food chains. I'm not sure if I'm allowed post the name of it so I won't but the bill read like this:

Regular box meal €9
    -Food and drink items listed under this with no charges
    -Drink was a Pepsi max (sugar free)

Tax 15.9% = €1.23
    Take out €0.00
    Total paid: €9 (cash)

What is this included 15.9% tax?

Thanks,
    R7

No such tax, 0,9,13.5 and 23 are the irish rates with 23 to change to 21 on 1st of Sept for 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

sidcon wrote: »
    No such tax, 0,9,13.5 and 23 are the irish rates with 23 to change to 21 on 1st of Sept for 6 months

There is a method to work out the VAT rate for meal deals which contain a mix of 23%, 13.5% or 0% products.

So this is VAT, nothing else.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Was it a 'combination meal'?
    From Revenue
    4.3 Combination meal deals
    Meals of this type, also commonly referred to as "value meals", consist of items
    liable at different rates of VAT, typically being hot food liable at the reduced rate
    together with a soft drink liable at the standard rate, which are sold together for a
    single consideration, usually at a discount. Such a discount should be applied to all
    the items of the meal at their appropriate rates of VAT. Please see multiple supply,
    mixed supplies of goods and services and guidance on Cash Registers Records
    /electronic point of sale (EPOS) for further information and examples.

Could it have been a mix of rates?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 R75MM

Thanks all, query answered

Advertisement