Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you feel about sending your kids back to school?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 kali.mist

I'm not judging how they parent their kids. I'm asking if everyone decided to be as selfish (the posters words) where would that leave our society? Probably happy to tell everyone to wear a mask to protect others (ie him), but wont engage when something is required of them, desperate outlook.

Elaborate on what is required from me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭i_surge

I'm not judging how they parent their kids. I'm asking if everyone decided to be as selfish (the posters words) where would that leave our society? Probably happy to tell everyone to wear a mask to protect others (ie him), but wont engage when something is required of them, desperate outlook.

If their kids miss school how the hell does that affect society?

Conversely an increase in corona is bad for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭nw1dqsv7amx026

kali.mist wrote: »
    I agree with you Mallet. I am a *unt it seems. Sorry to all.

I don't think you are. Like the rest of us you're trying to do the best you can.

All parents are concerned. It's not easy whatever you decide.

My opinion is that kids won't get sick and are more important than the rest of society.
    I could have a health issue that I'm not aware of or react badly to coronavirus. I'm prepared to take this chance.
    I'll keep the kids away from their grandparents unless the grandparents decide to take the risk. And there is a risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 yasmina

I think kids need structure. Parents have different pressures.

One good thing from this is that we see now that education is a vital service and that teachers are just as important as doctors and nurses.

I respect where you are coming from geivinc but we are on opposing trajectories here.

I agree teachers are amazing and important. I just have a bit of an issue with the existing education system and I think that's contributing to my blasé attitude in getting the kids back to school.

yasmina wrote: »
    I respect where you are coming from geivinc but we are on opposing trajectories here.

I agree teachers are amazing and important. I just have a bit of an issue with the existing education system and I think that's contributing to my blasé attitude in getting the kids back to school.
    The system has been broken since forever. My kids don't have time for it to be fixed.
    Health system ditto.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

i_surge wrote: »
    It is nonsense for you to judge how someone parents their own kids.

hmm.....easy to say and nice soundbite. But nothing is that simple. For example, anti-vaxxers (in the past anyway) are idiots. I will judge them. Plenty of other examples also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Elaborate on what is required from me?

So you agree it's an experiment but you're not willing to take part, but are quite happy for everyone else to take the risk and roll in when its over, lovely.

Where do you stand on mandatory covid19 vaccinations?

I don't think you are. Like the rest of us you're trying to do the best you can.

All parents are concerned. It's not easy whatever you decide.

My opinion is that kids won't get sick and are more important than the rest of society.
    I could have a health issue that I'm not aware of or react badly to coronavirus. I'm prepared to take this chance.
    I'll keep the kids away from their grandparents unless the grandparents decide to take the risk. And there is a risk.

I really don't understand it when you say "kids won't get sick". Please direct me to the data that has reassured you in this regard. With a possible 14 day incubation period and the fact that they can can be asymptomatic they don't even need to "get sick" to spread this to others. I just don't understand this thinking. Its seems lazy... dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I really don't understand it when you say "kids won't get sick". Please direct me to the data that has reassured you in this regard. With a possible 14 day incubation period and the fact that they can can be asymptomatic they don't even need to "get sick" to spread this to others. I just don't understand this thinking. Its seems lazy... dangerous.

Actually how much asymptomatic kids spread is not determined so do you know more than researchers all over the world?

So you agree it's an experiment but you're not willing to take part, but are quite happy to for everyone else to take the risk and roll in when its over, lovely.

Where do you stand on mandatory covid19 vaccinations?

I was not asked to take part in the experiment. You want me to enter my kids into the experiment? right. If you want to get into that, fair enough. But if you want to make yourself feel better by demonising me for not being a lemming then work away.

• Advertisement

meeeeh wrote: »
    Actually how much asymptomatic kids spread is not determined so do you know more than researchers all over the world?

Eh... dunno!
    Where did I say I know anything more than anyone? I know feck all. I observe and listen to those who have a certain amount of contextual expertise. Friends, colleagues, life-scientists I work with who have experienced terrible **** happening over in Italy, Spain, France. That forms my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Mine are going back. Rang 1 and Naíonra. Both so excited about seeing their friends, their teachers and reading between the lines they are desperate to take it as a sign that some small bit of normality is returning to their lives. They have their own little worries and anxieties too which I hate. We have no high risk people at home or in our extended family so I’m very grateful for that.

As the day approaches I have had this knot in my stomach growing. I’ve figured out that for the last 6 months we’ve been able to keep my 3 girls in a little bubble of safety at home, letting them out into the care of their teachers (who I trust completely!) just feels strange after having them home for so long and I just feel quite emotional about it. Wierd, I probably haven’t explained it very well.

Nphet finally released the data on covid deaths by age at the end of July.
    You asked the question regarding kids and I'm not dismissing the older but as far as I remember 91% of deaths were over 65. I think there was one death under 25.
    There are also some journalist foi requests on deaths and comorbidity. The danger is mostly dependant on your age.
    I don't have references to hand but it's in various threads on boards. Healthy kids aren't dying!
    I understand there are kids with health issues and they unfortunately need to be careful, but that doesn't mean healthy kids should have their lives curtailed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭i_surge

Ludo wrote: »
    hmm.....easy to say and nice soundbite. But nothing is that simple. For example, anti-vaxxers (in the past anyway) are idiots. I will judge them. Plenty of other examples also.

Of yeah that is different, agreed. No societal harm to any individual group of kids getting home schooled

• Registered Users Posts: 46 yasmina

The system has been broken since forever. My kids don't have time for it to be fixed.
    Health system ditto.

Ah so maybe we are not on opposing trajectories after all.
    I'm just more of a cynic than you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Going to do the uniform and book shop tomorrow although I've a feeling they won't be in school for too long

Digs wrote: »
    Mine are going back. Rang 1 and Naíonra. Both so excited about seeing their friends, their teachers and reading between the lines they are desperate to take it as a sign that some small bit of normality is returning to their lives. They have their own little worries and anxieties too which I hate. We have no high risk people at home or in our extended family so I’m very grateful for that.

As the day approaches I have had this knot in my stomach growing. I’ve figured out that for the last 6 months we’ve been able to keep my 3 girls in a little bubble of safety at home, letting them out into the care of their teachers (who I trust completely!) just feels strange after having them home for so long and I just feel quite emotional about it. Wierd, I probably haven’t explained it very well.

Explained it perfectly. I know exactly how you feel. My child is so excited about going back

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Eh... dunno!
    Where did I say I know anything more than anyone? I know feck all. I observe and listen to those who have a certain amount of contextual expertise. Friends, colleagues, life-scientists I work with who have experienced terrible **** happening over in Italy, Spain, France. That forms my opinion

Ok so not actual research which is inconclusive. That's all I needed to know.

yasmina wrote: »
    Ah so maybe we are not on opposing trajectories after all.
    I'm just more of a cynic than you :)

I'm as cynical as they come, :)
    On this, I think the governments in multiple countries followed each other and overreacted to a virus which is maybe two or three times as dangerous as the flu.
    Now they're trying to get themselves out of it without admitting that they overreacted. They know that there is no solution.
    I don't think there will be a vaccine that works and that corona will continue to kill people into the future.
    In the Irish case, we were more exposed because of mismanagement ,not lack of investment, in the health system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

I think kids need structure. Parents have different pressures.

One good thing from this is that we see now that education is a vital service and that teachers are just as important as doctors and nurses.

Some chance of that, is there any other country in the world were there is as much unwarranted disdain for teachers as there is here?

• Advertisement

Some chance of that, is there any country in the world were there is such unwarranted disdain for teachers as there is here?

Yes, but the teachers unions don't help. We all can tell stories of teachers who didn't or couldn't teach for whatever reason.
    And then there are the wonderful teachers who probably are the majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Our two going back to secondary and sort of looking forward to getting back to a routine and as country kids need to get back to their own age group. The school have changed classes from 40 minutes to 60, one thing that is annoying from the info from the school is the face masks all have to be black to keep in line with school policy. Which is BS and should be about the quality of the mask. One of ours has breathing difficulties and this is our worry and back to keeping away from the elderly people of our families which had being hard on the kids in the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭HBC08

I was responding to a post questioning my ability to comment on science.
    Seems to be a common retort when people question the logic of the government lockdown response. You're either a Luddite or a Trump supporter.

haha! thats some leap and I genuinely lolled at that so thank you!
    When you're telling people on boards that you have a science degree therefore your opinion on a novel virus holds more weight that theirs.....well that make you sound a bit pompous and maybe not grounded in the reality of the situation.
    Many of the plebs you are talking down to are following the advice of the top virologists and experts in the world. Now again,there is so much unknown about this virus that even amongst the very top minds in the world nobody can say for sure what going to happen,certainly not "Frank Old Skin" on boards (much as you've posted to the contrary) with his science degrees fron UCG or wherever lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

To me, it seems perfectly reasonable, and indeed commendable that those who have immuno-compromised children or very high risk individuals living within their households take personal responsibility as parents, and protect the household from infection. It's a difficult road, and I hope they are supported.

It's also perfectly reasonable that those who don't have these issues, continue to prioritise the education of their children, by progressing with school attendance, and I hope they too are supported.

Two very clear situations there, and I don't think anyone can argue with either of those.

Where things are falling between the stools are the grey areas outside the clearcut scenarios, and this is where people start to get judgemental.

It may be that attending school means parents lose their afterschool support from a grandparent, which they value highly. Alternatives are hard to come by in normal times, let alone now.
    Or they have high risk individuals who are NOT in their household, but they will continue seeing them for various reasons, and instead remove the child from the education system.
    Or where there is no high risk individual at all, but the parents have some kind of general "feeling" of unease.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I have a neighbour not sending their kids back but yet their kids ran feral all summer (even before lockdown lifted). I reckon she just doesn’t want to get out of bed to drop them.
    I totally understand people with underlying issues or health concerns not doing it, but not the Karen’s of this world.
    It’s a pity we don’t have the infrastructure nationwide for classes to be streamed for those with issues and genuine concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭ax530

Anyone know if a child tests negative this weekend but still some coughing now and again during day (perhaps allergy ) can they go back to school ?
    Trying out all child friendly antihistamines which are non drowsy see if they help.
    can go 12+ hours no coughing but feel any cough in school will be instant home & test.
    Child obviously very upset may not get back to school so the worry may be impacting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

1 Primary and 1 Secondary here. 1 back this week and the other next week.
    They want to go back. I am nervous tbh.
    They won't be going on the School Bus.
    Both will wear Masks.
    We won't be visiting my Mum or other vulnerable family members for the foreseeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

My three are starting back in primary school this week. The youngest goes into junior infants tomorrow. I am very nervous about it I have to say, the school is in prefabs so all packed in like sardines. As an asthma sufferer I'd rather they held off until there was a vaccine but I do understand that children need a proper education.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Well the sports are back, and thus far we've had a few pauses on that as close contacts get checked. All negatives thus far. But a lot don't get symptoms. There should really be some random testing going on.

No choice really but go back to school, but cautiously and see what happens. We've at least one close contacts at high risk and dependent on us. That would be a problem if we had to isolate. But its not possible for us (and its personal decision for all) to avoid all possible contact with people and situations that carry some risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭ax530

I feel schools would be safer if it was free for all school aged children to get test arranged if any doubts.
    40e fee for GP to get referal will put some people off and they may risk going in if mild symptoms. A system where they can get test and back to school negative within a day or two would make everyone feel safer with the school environement.

Advertisement