Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mil is a wagon and is destroying me and fiancé's life

• 23-08-2020 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Posting under anon account here

Basically my soon to be, separated mother in law is a wagon

Me and the other half live and work in Dublin. The mil is unhappy about this and wants us to move to the back arse of nowhere. She even turns on the tears.

Me and the missus compromised on a town nearby but that's not good enough

I have complex health needs that need to be seen to in Dublin on a regular basis. My family are 200m away from this new location, am I the ass hole here?

I'm ****ing fed up of this **** it makes me wish I was marrying someone from Dublin instead

I'm at a loss what to do so any advice is appreciated and thank you in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Milsawagon

Sorry 200miles not meters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,286 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

You have to just put the foot down and tell her you will live where you like, whether that means she accepts it or doesn't the ball is in her court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,261 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Why would the 2 of you compromise on a town nearby?
    Is your fiancée bowing to her mother's wishes?
    Just stay in Dublin if you both want to and have jobs/home there.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭pinktoe

Harsh but get rid of her.

Imagine your life when MIL gets sick (genuine or fake), herself will give up job to look after her.

Giving her a choice of you or her mother will only be a temporary fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭screamer

If your fiancé can’t stand up to her mother, just forget it. I know first hand the damage that in laws like this do to your relationship and the divided loyalties they cause. I’d compromise on nothing, you don’t owe her. Unfortunately it does come down to a her or you choice for your fiancé but don’t be a doormat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

Tell her to keep her nose out, nip this in the bud now or you are in for a crap life from here on in.
    If your GF is giving in to what the mother wants I'd strongly consider leaving her.

You're an adult, live where you want.

Myself and my wife are renting, 5mins from her parents but 45 from mine. Our forever home is going to be somewhere between that is a fair compromise, no way would I accept being beside her parents if it meant being so far from mine just because her mother is a bitch.

pinktoe wrote: »
    Harsh but get rid of her.

Imagine your life when MIL gets sick (genuine or fake), herself will give up job to look after her.

Giving her a choice of you or her mother will only be a temporary fix.

Get rid of the missus?

I'm currently hiding in my room as the mil launched into a tirade again 'wouldn't it be nice if you lived down the road or across the field'

I won't be visiting again ever. Next time I'll see her is at the wedding, that's if it goes ahead.

I text the missus it's a choice between our marriage or the mother

Thanks for all the replies BTW I'm very interested in your opinions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

She will be moving in with you soon

JJayoo wrote: »
    She will be moving in with you soon

Over my dead body

• Advertisement

You're a grown man hiding out in your own house?
    Is your mother in law currently visiting you in Dublin then?
    Where is she staying tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

Sounds like in her house?

No, her house. Better than listening to bull****. We leave for Dublin in the morning

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Milsawagon wrote: »

As opposed to talking to her??
    This does not sound like a very mature relationship. Neither of you seem able to be behave in an adult manner with respect to this issue.
    You seriously moved just to try and keep your girlfriends mother happy?

You both need to have a long hard think about what matters to each of you and what you want from life. Testing ultimatums is no way to run a relationship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭Tork

What's your fiancée's position on this? Talk of breaking up with her is drastic and hopefully it won't come to this. The ball is in her court because it's her mother and she is the one who has control over the relationship you (plural) have with her. If the mother is calling the shots and she is unwilling or unable to stop her encroaching on your life, then you have some thinking to do. Before pulling the plug on this, is there any help your fiancée can get to become more assertive and to handle her mother?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭pinktoe

Get rid of the missus?

I'm currently hiding in my room as the mil launched into a tirade again 'wouldn't it be nice if you lived down the road or across the field'

I won't be visiting again ever. Next time I'll see her is at the wedding, that's if it goes ahead.

Going out with someone who has an abusive mother means the mother clicks her fingers and little girl comes running.
    Imagine living across the field, every Sunday having dinner at their house after working a full week and no getting out of it. Imagine family relatives coming to visit and the mother would just say "oh sure you can stay with my daughter and husband for a week, sure he can take a week off work and drive ye around the place".

I'd be running but it's only you who can make and live with the choice. In your opening post, your second last line says it all.

If ye built a house it would probably be the mother telling ye what furniture to buy and what colours to paint it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Is she separated long?
    Have you known her a while?
    Sorry for the questions but I'm wondering if she's always been like this or is it a new thing.

Is there any way all three of you could sit down and discuss this like adults.
    Her behavior is affecting your life and your future wife's life and may get worse with age and grandchildren.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    As opposed to talking to her??
    This does not sound like a very mature relationship. Neither of you seem able to be behave in an adult manner with respect to this issue.
    You seriously moved just to try and keep your girlfriends mother happy?

You both need to have a long hard think about what matters to each of you and what you want from life. Testing ultimatums is no way to run a relationship.

I've had this talk with her so many times now and that's when we came to a compromise.

But I agree some hard thinking is required

pinktoe wrote: »
    Going out with someone who has an abusive mother means the mother clicks her fingers and little girl comes running.
    Imagine living across the field, every Sunday having dinner at their house after working a full week and no getting out of it. Imagine family relatives coming to visit and the mother would just say "oh sure you can stay with my daughter and husband for a week, sure he can take a week off work and drive ye around the place".

I'd be running but it's only you who can make and live with the choice. In your opening post, your second last line says it all.

If ye built a house it would probably be the mother telling ye what furniture to buy and what colours to paint it.

Agreed. It'd be a fcuking nightmare. Plus theres no jobs anywhere in my field

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Idle Passerby

You haven't mentioned your fiances position on this, that's going to be a big decider on whether the marriage has any chance. I'm assuming, since your giving ultimatums that she's fine with her mother's demands. If that's the case I wouldn't have high hopes.

Either way, you throwing a sulk and hiding in a bedroom in someone else's house, throwing out ultimatums is really immature. If I was your girlfriend I'd be mortified. It's not going to win you any brownie points with her or her family.

• Advertisement

Is she separated long?
    Have you known her a while?
    Sorry for the questions but I'm wondering if she's always been like this or is it a new thing.

Is there any way all three of you could sit down and discuss this like adults.
    Her behavior is affecting your life and your future wife's life and may get worse with age and grandchildren.

Shé is separated 20 years and I don't blame her husband because she is an absolute wagon. You may say I'm biased but come live with her for a week and see

You haven't mentioned your fiances position on this, that's going to be a big decider on whether the marriage has any chance. I'm assuming, since your giving ultimatums that she's fine with her mother's demands. If that's the case I wouldn't have high hopes.

Either way, you throwing a sulk and hiding in a bedroom in someone else's house, throwing out ultimatums is really immature. If I was your girlfriend I'd be mortified. It's not going to win you any brownie points with her or her family.

Her position is the compromise we agreed, I'm not sulking I'm just not in the mood to listen to any more bull****

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I've had this talk with her so many times now and that's when we came to a compromise.

But I agree some hard thinking is required

No point in giving ultimatums if they are meaningless. You know what you have to do here

And crocodile tears

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    No point in giving ultimatums if they are meaningless. You know what you have to do here

Which is?

Your partner wants ye to move somewhere where you can't even get a job?
    OK I get it if your partner is very unhappy in Dublin and wants to get back to the country.
    But if she's only compromising to please her mother and is taking ye both away from your income, then come on, open your eyes!
    They're both running your life.

Your partner wants ye to move somewhere where you can't even get a job?
    OK I get it if your partner is very unhappy in Dublin and wants to get back to the country.
    But if she's only compromising to please her mother and is taking ye both away from your income, then come on, open your eyes!
    They're both running your life.

Yes it is the back arse of nowhere, nó jobs for me except for Dublin. The compromise is a 1.5hr commute to Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Yes it is the back arse of nowhere, nó jobs for me except for Dublin. The compromise is a 1.5hr commute to Dublin

How are your complex health needs going to respond to 3 hours daily in a car commuting? How could you ever rear children with this level of outside manipulation? I would postpone marriage and see if ye can live happily as independent people who broker no interference from the MIL, and if it looks like that cannot happen, then have a serious think about things.

Gruffalox wrote: »
    How are your complex health needs going to respond to 3 hours daily in a car commuting? How could you ever rear children with this level of outside manipulation? I would postpone marriage and see if ye can live happily as independent people who broker no interference from the MIL, and if it looks like that cannot happen, then have a serious think about things.

It would be by bus the commute

I need to be in close proximity to Dublin hospitals specifically St jamses

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

She said 'wouldn't it be nice if you lived nearby', how is that a tirade?

Why are you hiding from her and giving your fiance ultimatums? Does your wife want to move? Is your fiance asking you to move?

Advertisement