Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike / shop recommendation in Dublin

Options
  • 23-08-2020 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭

Looking to replace my Giant Revolt 1 that unfortunately came off the worst in a minor conflict with a Mercedes (after only 173km according to Strava... sob).

Main use is commuting 10km each way across town and the odd ~20-30km spin at the weekend. Only looking to use it on roads although I don’t know how road bikes handle the potholes when the fatter tyres on the Revolt 1 barely managed them from what I could tell.

I’d appreciate your recommendations for what sort of bikes I should be looking at — I definitely think something similar to the Revolt: a gravel/hybrid bike, the thicker tyres, drop handlebars, disc brakes.

Would also appreciate any recommendations for shops that are happy to spend a bit more time with a prospective buyer. The place I bought the Revolt from felt very rushed and impersonal.

Budget is ~€1,500.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,577 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what side of dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

How bad is the bike surely theres some part slavageable??? Can you not get crash replacement parts etc.

In terms of a bike shop its the luck of the draw really.

Ive found that some of the lads in eurocycles swords will give you the time of the day no matter how much you could be spending, very personal. They sell merida and scott . So for your budget youd be looking at the scott speedster gravel.

Lads in jimmys cycels in portmarnock are very friendly and knowledgeable but last time i was there they were very busy. They sell giant and cannondale. So cannondale topstone and giant revolt is what youd be looking at.

Had a mixed experience with 360 cycles, while i cant complain about their friendliness, sometimes ive found they dont listen to what you ask. They sell cannondale and meride so id be looking at merida silex/merida scultura. Again very busy atm

Those would be my 3 "main" lbs's. Ive been to a few others but wouldnt know them well enough. Thats my personal experience others could have drastically different experiences.

Personally if i was buying a bike id go to eurocycles, getting it serviced id go to 360 cycles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

what side of dublin?

Happy to head anywhere if there’s a strong enough recommendation.

In terms of bike. Definitely go for disc brakes and road/gravel bike.

Commuting in Dublin is very doable on a road bike especially with the right tyres. Gravel bikes will be more comfortable though, but if youre going on a weekend spins theyll be slower.

The road bikes youd be looking at would be endurance road bikes and pretty simalar to gravel bikes anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

Tony04 wrote: »
    How bad is the bike surely theres some part slavageable??? Can you not get crash replacement parts etc.

I’d say a lot of it is but the frame is fecked — advice I got was not to cycle it as it could fail suddenly and best case I’m stuck somewhere, worst case I get flung off the thing in front of a bus.

Will probably try to sell it for spare parts or something.

• Advertisement

Hopefully youre ok?

Yeh i would sooner tell you to walk through a fire than ride than that frame, not that im sayong you should.

From the picture however it only appears that the frame is danaged. Rear seems so perfect so thats your groupset saddle, seatpost rear wheel all slavageable. Is the front wheel buckled?

If your footing the bill id recommend just getting a crash replacement frameset, i.e the same frame at a usally discounted priced from the brand i.e giant. And rebuild the whole bike, usally a bike built in a bike shop by a pro mechanic is acctually better than a new bike.

Was it the shop you bought the bike from advising you to buy a new bike and about the frame being a write off???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

I found Joe Daly’s in Dundrum great when I was buying my bike. They were incredibly helpful and patient, and didn’t rush me at all even with a queue outside the door

Advertisement