Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ford Transit conversion to camper MKII

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

True to my word, I went looking for photo's of the van but there's not many if any that haven't been already posted in here. Like I said, I'm wrestling with getting it started at the moment. It starts, but cuts out. Getting a new fuel filter and a wrench to open the bowl and I'm going to tackle it again this week.

Here's some ramblings from our first trip away.

I will say that the bed is a little short for me. My other half has no issues with the bed, or stretching out on it but I need to sleep at a bit of an angle if i want to have my legs straight. It's not the most comfortable bed in the world to sleep in, but then again I don't live in it - it's only for trips away.

The larger fridge on 240 is a great job. Works a charm. Need to be careful hitting the brakes if there's a load of beer in it else things start to fly all over the place. Though you do get used to the motor kicking in periodically at night.

The amp meter flashes when it's charging and when you're plugged in overnight it's a pain. I had to get my mcguyver skills out and cover it with a spray paint cap at night.

The seats we have work quite well. The four of us were easily able to sit around it and play cards or whatever we wanted to at night. Noticed that the LED strips get quite warm over a long period.

The light switches that I installed, fancy as they were are a pain. Turning over at night in the bed I've hit the rocker switch turning the lights on, so that needs to go.

Mechanically the van never let us down. We had the weather for it, and that also helped. West cork is a lovely place with lots of steep hills so we got to test the van out. She's fairly heavy and I'd be thinking we're close enough to weight when we're loaded up and on the road. The rear diff does "grind" or rub at low speeds. I mean in first gear when pulling away but it disappears when you get any speed increase. Not so sure about that one. I was worried that I'd shear a tooth of the diff or something and that would have been less than ideal when your down around mizen head.

We've been around some narrow roads down there, and I'm totally comfortable sticking this van against the ditch to get past a car (against, not in) as I did a few times, but I can't imagine owning a 100K A class yoke trying to squeeze around down there. Nightmare stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Sir Liamalot

Here why can't I subdivide a quote? Is it progress preventing me?

Stick a child lock on the fridge door Buford and rejoice at a thing fit for purpose.

AS regards the AH counter...ya get what you pay for. Actually that's way ahead on accuracy per €. I haven't used one in a live-aboard. Just a few on standalone gensets. Makes perfect sense that the breathing charge light would annoy. I'd probably do the same and mask it.

If you want something higher end then look for a used anything with a 500A 50mV shunt. The quality of the shunt speaks volumes to the fidelity of the instrument...avoid blue ones though and other displays too small to read.

I fired up my phancy yolk!

7 voltage inputs, NMEA compatible, 8 tank sensors, battery SOC and specific load data capture & a loada buttons that look schlick but can't work because the unit they connect to hasn't been invented yet. No clue about the unpopulated solder pads.

One sec.....

Boom! we're in.

1k€ interfance for less than a BMV!

Narf!

What? Oh yurp!..there's an app for that!

Meanwhile in another part of town. Gas is dead man!

Maybe relocate the light switch outtov arm's reach?

LEDs getting warm is normal. Passive space heat and when you add solar they become a digital skylight. LEDs not getting hot is a myth. They get less hot than incandescent.

Change the diff oil...and see if any metal comes out. Starts but cuts out..how fast/long? Glow plugs?

I always look at a rough lookin' shell as an anti-theft measure. A-Class are slipway queens.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Sir Liamalot

"The amp meter flashes when it's charging and when you're plugged in overnight it's a pain. I had to get my mcguyver skills out and cover it with a spray paint cap at night."

Hold "◄" & "►" together to adjust the back-light.

It probably mentioned that in the manual.

Did you read it?

I didn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I must've missed that bit. I only paid attention to it as I was fitting it. 😝

Advertisement