Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Ebike in the UK and bringing it back in car

Options
  • 23-08-2020 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

As the title suggests just double checking it before I do.
    I I were to go the UK to purchase a eBike (around 4k Stg) would I be stopped on the ferry to pay any additional taxes etc?
    Hope this is the correct area of boards to post.
    Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The UK is still in the customs union for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

At present there are no regulations regarding ebike (or scooters) and no vrt or other taxes. So once you buy it within the EU which still includes the UK, it can be brought in with no need to declare it for anything.

You do need to wear a helmet when using it as it could be seen as a motorised bike by a garda, so the less you come to their attention the better.

Hopefully regulations will come in soon that will set standards and parameters for using them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭KevRossi

silver2020 wrote: »

You do need to wear a helmet when using it as it could be seen as a motorised bike by a garda, so the less you come to their attention the better.

Hopefully regulations will come in soon that will set standards and parameters for using them

You do not need a helmet when on an E-bike that follows EU regulations, they have pedal assist up to 25 Km/h and have the same rules and regulations as per ordinary bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You will not have to declare it or pay any tax.

Just out of interest what model did you buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sirmixalot

Maybe this.
    It's for trials but technically still an ebike right?
    2018+24.0R+130deg.jpg?format=1500w

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

sirmixalot wrote: »
    Maybe this.
    It's for trials but technically still an ebike right?
    2018+24.0R+130deg.jpg?format=1500w

Nope under current Irish legislation that's a Powered Two Wheeler and requires tax, insurance, licence and a CE motorcycle helmet to use on the road. You can't tax or insure them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Thanks for the info. but it's not what I'm looking for.

Something more sedate I'm looking for.

That's not meant for the road I guess ?

Del2005 wrote: »
    Nope under current Irish legislation that's a Powered Two Wheeler and requires tax, insurance, licence and a CE motorcycle helmet to use on the road. You can't tax or insure them.
    No problem with the PPE, but this will be used on private land. It's not road legal as it has no speedo, indicators etc therefore void of road policies (ins + tax etc) It'd also be exempt from VRT too as it'd not be registered for the road.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Why are you spending Soo much most ebikes cost 600 or less

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    Why are you spending Soo much most ebikes cost 600 or less
    It's not your average road ebike.

• Advertisement
Advertisement