Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dead Swan, eaten

• 23-08-2020 10:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭

Hi there,

I came across the remains of a dead Swan today.
    Whatever attacked it, ate most of it.

Location on western shore of L Derg, not far from Portumna.

I haven't come across something like this before.
    What would have done this?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

A fox maybe?
    Mink are vicious feckers too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

Maybe died naturally and scavenged afterwards.
    Mink and foxes could probably take one down though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭patspost

Thanks for the replies.
    Yep, maybe a fox or indeed a mink.
    He was a decent sized Swan.

It didn't occur to me that it may have been scavenged, that is possible.

As it happens I passed the same spot last week and it wasn't there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

It may have been scavanged by several different animals. Swan may have been old, sick, or injured before it met its end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

A mink will do a lot of damage especially in chicken coups . They will kill the lot if they had time and create a mess . A fox on the other hand will kill to eat . So only one chicken or hen at a time . Often they will take it with them too . Chicken to go .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

A mink will do a lot of damage especially in chicken coups . They will kill the lot if they had time and create a mess . A fox on the other hand will kill to eat . So only one chicken or hen at a time . Often they will take it with them too . Chicken to go .

A fox will do the same as a mink. Mink aint that much different than our native predators. Like all predators, when numbers are high, they can put a lot of pressure on struggling species.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Eddie B wrote: »
    A fox will do the same as a mink. Mink aint that much different than our native predators. Like all predators, when numbers are high, they can put a lot of pressure on struggling species.

Mink.. They broke into my chicken run once and ate the heads of three hens. And they "hole" lambs; ie when the lamb is asleep they pierce a vein behind the ear to suck blood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A mink will do a lot of damage especially in chicken coups . They will kill the lot if they had time and create a mess . A fox on the other hand will kill to eat . So only one chicken or hen at a time . Often they will take it with them too . Chicken to go .[/QUOTE

Sadly not so; a fox will go on a killing spree in a hen house.

Advertisement