Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concealed door closers

Options
  • 23-08-2020 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭

I have to get a few concealed door closers for inside doors to an apartment. Just looking online I have seen prices between €5 each and €135 each. Can someone explain the possible reasons for the huge difference in price?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

CE marked?
    Fire rated?
    Warranty?
    Simplicity of install?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

BryanF wrote: »
    CE marked?
    Fire rated?
    Warranty?
    Simplicity of install?

And width of door. Cheaper ones do narrow lightweight doors. More expensive ones do wider, taller heavier doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭worded

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

worded wrote: »

Be sure and read the data sheets and manufactures instructions for whatever you get to be sure you and you're family are safe. I think these hings for example require three number even though they're sold in pairs and have a max 40kg door for 30 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Self closers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭worded

Lived in a place that had them and they creaked every time I opened the door.
    Ended up snipping the little chain it was so irritating

These could be different but i suspect they are the same ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Alienbeams86

Do fire rated concealed door closers meet the current regulations, for new work, when fire doors are required in a house with three floors? Somebody mentioned to me that they had to be external such as the overhead ones. Couldn’t find the relevant section in the regulations to check.

Do fire rated concealed door closers meet the current regulations, for new work, when fire doors are required in a house with three floors? Somebody mentioned to me that they had to be external such as the overhead ones. Couldn’t find the relevant section in the regulations to check.

They are starting to appear on the market.
    The fire doors need to comply with BS476 and the self closing device has an EN standard. The standard requires it to cycle 200,000 times so most of the older devices failed the life cycle test.

There are some new age recessed external hinges on the market and rebates slieve self closers that comply.

You have to stay with the door. And the door manufacturer fire test and see what ironmongery they tested on their door and use what’s allowed on their global assessment.

worded wrote: »
    Lived in a place that had them and they creaked every time I opened the door.
    Ended up snipping the little chain it was so irritating

These could be different but i suspect they are the same ...

That’s just laziness and bad maintenance.
    Oil them regularly and they wine make any creeking noises.

• Advertisement
Advertisement