Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

man blames drug problem issues on drug users

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

coca leaves aren't like cannabis plants, the price of cocaine would be astronomical to produce in the western world unless you stripped away all of the workers rights and gave them a pittance.

So? Produce it in Colombia, Peru or Bolivia and let those countries export cocaine legally.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

So? Produce it in Colombia, Peru or Bolivia and let those countries export cocaine legally.

the cartels own those countries. You'd end up with 20x the bloodshed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

the cartels own those countries. You'd end up with 20x the bloodshed.

You're talking out of your hole. Why do you think large cartels emerged outside the law? It's because those countries happen to be able to provide a service the rich world wants, but is also determined to punish them for providing.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,012 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Employers forcing their staff to piss in a cup and then analysing said piss always struck me as a gross overstepping of authority if not downright creepy. It's not the role of businesses within society to police their employee's private activities.

What about if those same workers are drivers, machine operators or in charge of children? Do you want them as high as kites?
    What if Insurance companies insisted on it being done in factories or other workplaces?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Yep, that would reduce the amount of drug users you see on O'Connell street off their heads and mugging people to pay for it.

Mugging is mugging. Vagrancy is vagrancy. Deal with each accordingly. Personally I think aggressive-begging and being off-your-box in a public place should be dealt with swiftly and decisively and those apprehended should be banned from the city centres.
    Of course, drug dealers would absolutely vanish if it was legalised because they stopped smuggling alcohol and tobacco, right?

Nirvana fallacy.
    And of course being legal means that people don't consume too much, don't cause social and health issues and absolutely 100% don't still tie up revenue, Gardai and paramedics time.

That's drug abuse which should be dealt with as a health issue.

I used to debate these issues on boards but gave up and now I remember why, it's tedious trying to reason with people who refuse to be reasoned with.

NBLY.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I don't mind that a mod edited the thread title if they felt it was a bit too clickbaity or contentious. I have already explained my reasoning for the original title though, i.e. because one can't but think that the politician is defending his own demographic because he is part of it, and shifts blame to a demographic of which he is not part. I think it's obvious he's not middle-class (read middle-class-white).

Could have at least capitalised man though : ) or put his name in instead. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

What about if those same workers are drivers, machine operators or in charge of children? Do you want them as high as kites?
    What if Insurance companies insisted on it being done in factories or other workplaces?

id agree with drug testing those workers, but until they drug test all welfare recipients I think it should be banned.

What about alcohol. Working with a hangover if not drunk would equally be disruptive to one's ability in those jobs.

But of course where Bailey is coming from has nothing to do with those kinds of concerns. He's shifting blame for his own political advantage.

So these scummy classes, who are inherently scummy, have they always existed? What would your final solution be for this problem?

I don't think killing them is the solution. They'll just resurface again, if we encourage it, and by encouraging it I mean by taking blame off them and putting it on someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,883 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

AllForIt wrote: »
    I don't think killing them is the solution. They'll just resurface again, if we encourage it, and by encouraging it I mean by taking blame off them and putting it on someone else.
    That would seem to imply that you think there are social causes for the emergence of a given class behaviour, rather than seeing it as something inherent to people.

But it's weird that someone can see themselves as a good person, while also believing the only reason not to kill an entire social class is because they'll "resurface again".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Perhaps in special circumstances operating heavy machinery i can understand it but for your average office/shop grunt it's crossing all kinda boundaries, the state cant even drug test you unless you're driving, no way should a private corporation be permitted to do so.

Advertisement