Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying New Boots

Options
  • 24-08-2020 1:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

Hey folks,

I'm looking to buy a new pair of boots.
    I've seen nice looking pairs from these two brands: Seventy Degrees and IXS.
    I've never heard of either!
    Anybody have any feedback / know if they're any good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

No clue, but why not choose boots from brands you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Wouldn't know too much about either brand. Are they on sale in a local shop? Id stick to bigger brands: Sidi, Held, Revit, TCS, Spada or Richa. All decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

GBX wrote: »
    Wouldn't know too much about either brand. Are they on sale in a local shop? Id stick to bigger brands: Sidi, Held, Revit, TCS, Spada or Richa. All decent.

I can add in TCX after using two pairs over the past five years, and also Forma having done 600 miles in a week in some absolutely horrid weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Meant TCX . Had a pair before. Great value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Also recommend TCX, have a pair and love them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I have not heard about the gear in the OP myself. Regardless, make sure the boots you do go for suit your bike. My brother got a pair in Jan and found the ankle part way too stiff to change gear on his VFR. Those were the 2nd pair of boots he got, as he sent back the first pair.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

IXS are a well known name on the Continent, Swiss manufacturer.
    https://ixs.com/moto/
    70 Degree's I have never heard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

Bought my Daytona Traveller GTX from Germany and saved over €100 and got free delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Bought my Daytona Traveller GTX from Germany and saved over €100 and got free delivery.

I went for Daytona's too - their Strive GTX boot. Very expensive @ about 300 eur, that's with ~100 off the RRP. But they're great quality and I'm glad I spent the money.

Never had anything from the two brands in the OP.

dmigsy wrote: »
    I went for Daytona's too - their Strive GTX boot. Very expensive @ about 300 eur, that's with ~100 off the RRP.

You have to pay for the bouquet. :pac: Daytona are used by Traffic Cops so I'm not using anything else. I actually saw the report into them by a serving garda bike instructor. As a result I'm sold. Also when you wear out the sole you can send them back to Germany to be "refurbished". About €120 and you get new soles and internals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You have to pay for the bouquet. :pac: Daytona are used by Traffic Cops so I'm not using anything else. I actually saw the report into them by a serving garda bike instructor. As a result I'm sold. Also when you wear out the sole you can send them back to Germany to be "refurbished". About €120 and you get new soles and internals.

Ya but they do look kinda ****e and boring tbf. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

listermint wrote: »
    Ya but they do look kinda ****e and boring tbf. :D

Ha! True. The ones I got look a bit less orthopedic than a lot of their range!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Goose81

I dont understand any of this.

IL wear what the garda wear because it must be good, even though they are on a budget and wear what will be paid for regardless of how good it is and have no choice in the matter.

Tbf Daytona are very expensive but no doubt there is better around.

Same with the no name brands in the original post, what's your life worth??

Alpinestars or Dainese are all I will wear and that's it.

I suppose my view is clouded because I crashed last year but I would be spending no less than 1600 on full gear these days, like but cheap **** and your mangled.

I was on the mondello track day and if you weren't wearing arai or shoei helmets they literally took your helmet up on stage and bent it in front of you to show you how **** it was.

People say it's all brand names but it's clearly not.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭johnml

Thanks guys for all your input.
    I've taken the advice of 'Jimmy Bottlehead' and bought a brand that I know. Alpinestars in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Did you look in Maddocks when you were looking? Was in there getting wheels balanced and thought he was pretty much matching the online prices.

Goose81 wrote: »
    I dont understand any of this.

IL wear what the garda wear because it must be good, even though they are on a budget and wear what will be paid for regardless of how good it is and have no choice in the matter.

Tbf Daytona are very expensive but no doubt there is better around.

Same with the no name brands in the original post, what's your life worth??

Alpinestars or Dainese are all I will wear and that's it.

I suppose my view is clouded because I crashed last year but I would be spending no less than 1600 on full gear these days, like but cheap **** and your mangled.
    Daytona are an excellent boot, the choice of not just multiple EU police forces but also Road racers like Michael Dunlop.
    I am sure there is sponsorship involved but their boots while not the sexiest are definitely very very protective.
    I don't think you will find much better to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I have Altberg, as used by - some - UK forces.

Not only fabulous, but also available in different widths. For years I've been buying boots that are too large (long), just to get a width fitting that's comfortable.

Handmade in Yorkshire,and rebuildable ad nauseam.....one of the best purchases I've ever made of a motorcycle 'item' ever - and not too dear: €240 iirc at the time.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 19 HD_Cooney mush

I recently purchased a pair of these from an Army Surplus Store in the UK via ebay.

HAIX Bundeswehr Gore-Tex® Combat Boots
    Genuine current German Army (Bundeswehr) issue black leather heavy combat boots (Kampfstiefel Shwer) with Gore-Tex lining.
    Link:- https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Haix-Black-Army-Goretex-Boots/184355840687

These are the same brand used by the Irish Army, UK army and these particular ones are German Army spec. Armed and police forces in Ireland, UK and some European countrys use either Haix or Altberg. They are an amazing boot and would highly, highly recommend them.

I recently purchased a pair of these from an Army Surplus Store in the UK via ebay.

Genuine current German Army (Bundeswehr) issue black leather heavy combat boots (Kampfstiefel Shwer) with Gore-Tex lining.

These are the same brand used by the Irish Army, UK army and these particular ones are German Army spec. Armed and police forces in Ireland, UK and some European countrys use either Haix or Altberg. They are an amazing boot and would highly, highly recommend them.

Lacing boots for a motorcycle. No thank you please.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

For hiking

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Lacing boots for a motorcycle. No thank you please.

Bike boots need to have a sole that doesn't crush when something heavy like a bike lands on them.
    In fact even Daytona have some models that don't meet the specification for Motorcycle boots, and hence cannot be sold as Bike boots even though they are probably way better than many cheaper ones on the market.
    https://www.louis.ie/artikel/daytona-voyager-gtx-touring-boots/602140?list=8c85e5bdc929c9f88a87767cead37a49
    You need to have this CE mark
    https://mag.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/advice/motorcycle-boot-ce-markings-explained/

• Registered Users Posts: 19 HD_Cooney mush

Del2005 wrote: »
    For hiking

If ya wanted to wear them hiking, Im sure you could.

But as a motorcycle boot, these have huge reinforcement in both the toe, heel and ankle. And they are waterproof with removable liners. And no-one would look at you like a crazy person if ya wore them with a pair of jeans or doing a bit of manual labor work on a site.

Versatile, safe, waterproof, used by armed forces in the field and comfortable.

Thats a win, win, win, win, win in any language.

Sure enough, if you're riding sportsbikes like GSXR's, ZZR's, CBR's and any other type of plastic fantastic Jap rockets, these boots might not exactly 'look the part'. But if you were touring or riding cruiser style bikes or touring on cruisers or cruising on tourers, these boots tick absolutely every box.

Bare in mind, I ride a Harley and do so all over the country and back and forth from Ireland to Scotland on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

galwaytt wrote: »
    I have Altberg, as used by - some - UK forces.

Not only fabulous, but also available in different widths. For years I've been buying boots that are too large (long), just to get a width fitting that's comfortable.

Handmade in Yorkshire,and rebuildable ad nauseam.....one of the best purchases I've ever made of a motorcycle 'item' ever - and not too dear: €240 iirc at the time.

Fabulous, you say :D:D

eL2iL0Ml.png

But as a motorcycle boot, these have huge reinforcement in both the toe, heel and ankle. And they are waterproof with removable liners. And no-one would look at you like a crazy person if ya wore them with a pair of jeans or doing a bit of manual labor work on a site.

Sure enough, if you're riding sportsbikes like GSXR's, ZZR's, CBR's and any other type of plastic fantastic Jap rockets, these boots might not exactly 'look the part'. But if you were touring or riding cruiser style bikes or touring on cruisers or cruising on tourers, these boots tick absolutely every box.

Bare in mind, I ride a Harley and do so all over the country and back and forth from Ireland to Scotland on a regular basis.

No shin protection. No Bueno

Did you look in Maddocks when you were looking? Was in there getting wheels balanced and thought he was pretty much matching the online prices.

Louis.de had an offer where there was free delivery and €50 off a purchase over €150. So the introductory offer made them very inexpensive (not cheap) ;)

I was on the mondello track day and if you weren't wearing arai or shoei helmets they literally took your helmet up on stage and bent it in front of you to show you how **** it was.

People say it's all brand names but it's clearly not.

Sorry, not buying that for a minute.

I was on a training course some years ago when the trainer made not dissimilar comments on a participants newly bought, branded, ACU Gold stamped helmet (which, whilst not relevant, cost €600).

He extolled the same Arai fanboy BS.

The fact of the matter is objective testing and ACU testing and just as importantly proper fitting trumps what some so-called guy on an ego trip in Kildare thinks.

And, for many, both Shoei and Arai are a poor helmet shape, so entirely unsuitable.

And he didn't take it well being pulled up on it either.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I was on a training course some years ago when the trainer made not dissimilar comments on a participants newly bought, branded, ACU Gold stamped helmet (which, whilst not relevant, cost €600).

The fact of the matter is objective testing and ACU testing and just as importantly proper fitting trumps what some so-called guy on an ego trip in Kildare thinks.

And, for many, both Shoei and Arai are a poor helmet shape, so entirely unsuitable.

Gas, witnessed the same BS.

Are you actually for real?

You know the main point of the boot is to protect your lower leg , if the bike lands on it it's going to snap regardless but if you have full boots on it probably won't be a compound fracture so the hope would be less damage.

I saw a Motocross bike land on my mates leg wearing full boots and it snap in half and him having to wear a cage for 6 months.

Good luck in your hiking boots mate, it doesn't matter what bike you ride so I don't get your point. If a cruiser lands on your leg you would be more ****ed than if a sports bike did. If your Harley lands on your leg you would be in a worse way than if my superbike landed on mine.

Those boots are a lose lose lose in any language as motorcycle boots, only a cheap ass retard would wear them.

Fair enough, IL believe what I saw with my own eyes. Every helmet that wasn't arai or shoei bending like a pretzel on the day.thw main takeaway from it though was never to wear one of those flip up helmets, they are a joke.

I should add I have a shoei ATM but in the past have had an avg and the quality is night and day. You get what you pay for, arai and shoei are the only helmets that are still handmade (YouTube) and there's a reason they are expensive.

Most of the newer helmets these days are by new Italian brands and they are made in China rubbish.

There is even reports you can Google where moto gp riders sponsored by them refused to wear the helmets and stuck the stickers on decent helmets.

End if the day you buy the best gear you can afford, whatever about helmets please don't anyone wear ****ing hiking boots like op

• Advertisement

Fair enough, IL believe what I saw with my own eyes. Every helmet that wasn't arai or shoei bending like a pretzel on the day.thw main takeaway from it though was never to wear one of those flip up helmets, they are a joke.

I should add I have a shoei ATM but in the past have had an avg and the quality is night and day. You get what you pay for, arai and shoei are the only helmets that are still handmade (YouTube) and there's a reason they are expensive.

Most of the newer helmets these days are by new Italian brands and they are made in China rubbish.

There is even reports you can Google where moto gp riders sponsored by them refused to wear the helmets and stuck the stickers on decent helmets.

End if the day you buy the best gear you can afford, whatever about helmets please don't anyone wear ****ing hiking boots like op

I agree about cheap Chinese rubbish.

As for flexing: thats exactly what they're supposed to do, to absorb and dissipate shock. If its rigid it will transfer more - not less - force to your brain. Think of car bumpers: theres a reason they're bendy now: to reduce injury to pedestrians. Helmets are the same.

I'll go further: :) : the current science in motorcycle and other helmets is that your helmet SHOULD move independently of your head: its called MIPS.

Kildare Ego Man won't like that at all, at all https://mipsprotection.com/helmets-with-mips/

Finally: flip-front or modular helmets. More contentious this. I understand why, and I'm not unsympathetic. I've changed to the Shark Evo One Modular one and would find it hard to only have a fixed face lid. So I've both. In truth the Modular gets 99.99% of the use.

But, and it's a big But, same rules apply: if its been tested and passed, there's no grounds to refuse it.

And God Help You if you mention Ratchet or Click straps instead of D-rings for fastening whatever helmet you have to your head......christ, sure Kildare Ego Man will burst a blood vessel.....he'd probably be happy with baler twine though as its 'the way we always do things around here....

Ode To The Motorist

Advertisement