Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPC on different lighting circuit but other circuit has none

Options
  • 24-08-2020 2:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Our house was last renovated fully in the mid 80s' which is when it was fully rewired last.

I'm renovating a bedroom upstairs and have the sub floor up and noticed a CPC going to the external light at the back door which is because it's a metal enclosure.

A different lighting circuit serves upstairs but has no CPC throughout. I'm planning on installing metal LED downlights in the room. The switch I bought is double insulated so doesn't require an earth but the light fixtures do.

Is it possible to take the CPC from the different circuit that's under the bedroom floor and use a wago maintenance free box and take a 4mm single CPC to the light fitting or does it need to be part of the same circuit to the consumer unit?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Please disregard my earlier post. I deleted it as I misread “bedroom” as “bathroom”.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Our house was last renovated fully in the mid 80s' which is when it was fully rewired last.

It is probably high time you got an electrician to check it over!
    A different lighting circuit serves upstairs but has no CPC throughout. I'm planning on installing metal LED downlights in the room. The switch I bought is double insulated so doesn't require an earth but the light fixtures do.

Many LED down lighters don't have an earth terminal on them. Are you sure yours does? You could use double insulted downlighters.

Is it possible to take the CPC from the different circuit that's under the bedroom floor and use a wago maintenance free box and take a 4mm single CPC to the light fitting or does it need to be part of the same circuit to the consumer unit?

Assuming the CPC you have found is indeed connected this may "work" but it is against the regulations and best practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭StephenS147

2011 wrote: »
    It is probably high time you got an electrician to check it over!
    Might get them to do an EICR while I'm getting them in.
    Many LED down lighters don't have an earth terminal on them. Are you sure yours does? You could use double insulted downlighters.
    These ones that I bought do unfortunately. https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01NAUKU46/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_btf_t1_4rbrFbDFDN4YV
    Assuming the CPC you have found is indeed connected this may "work" but it is against the regulations and best practice.
    Just curious as to why this is so. Are the earthing connections not just going to the earth bus bar? I suppose the length of the earth has to be the same as line and neutral?

Thanks.

Advertisement