Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitor Upgrade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Absolutely love the 34" Ultrawide 1440p format.

Absolutely love the 34" Ultrawide 1440p format.

That's my next upgrade. Have a few on the shortlist. That one you've linked was on it but i heard it behaves badly with Nvidia GPU's. Great price though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

CU34G2X video

I take it this is a recommendation? As it would be on my shortlist alright.

I looked into Laptops Direct and it would seem they're an utter no go :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

• Advertisement

MayoForSam wrote: »

I've been told that also has flickering issues. Make sure you do research before buying any monitor.

I take it this is a recommendation? As it would be on my shortlist alright.

I looked into Laptops Direct and it would seem they're an utter no go :pac:

Just a review for one of the ones you listed. I only have experience of the Dell 3415 which is a 60Hz panel so you won't want one of those for gaming - although it's fine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Doesn't seem great. Advertised as 144hz but can't really do 144hz well. It doesn't even do 60hz well. If you get it I'd limit the frames to 120 and hopefully your gpu can keep it in the 80-120 range with freesync enabled. Consoles won't be able to do this.

240nits brightness is pretty poor as well unless you use it in a darkish room, and 85% DCIP3 colour coverage isn't great. IPS will do close to 100% and most are 350 nits+ brightness. You're sacrificing a lot in the price range for gaining ultrawide. At the same time it's nearly half the price of the better IPS models so maybe it's worth if you really want ultrawide.

Keep in mind consoles and most netflix content won't be able to make use of the ultrawide aspect ratio either so you will be viewing both with black borders down the sides at a regular 27" 2560x1440 size.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

BloodBath wrote: »
    Doesn't seem great. Advertised as 144hz but can't really do 144hz well. It doesn't even do 60hz well. If you get it I'd limit the frames to 120 and hopefully your gpu can keep it in the 80-120 range with freesync enabled. Consoles won't be able to do this.

240nits brightness is pretty poor as well unless you use it in a darkish room, and 85% DCIP3 colour coverage isn't great. IPS will do close to 100% and most are 350 nits+ brightness. You're sacrificing a lot in the price range for gaining ultrawide. At the same time it's nearly half the price of the better IPS models so maybe it's worth if you really want ultrawide.

Keep in mind consoles and most netflix content won't be able to make use of the ultrawide aspect ratio either so you will be viewing both with black borders down the sides at a regular 27" 2560x1440 size.

Thanks, that's quite helpful. I hadn't thought of the aspect ratio and would freely admit I'm out of my sphere of knowledge here. I suppose primarily what I'm after is just a bigger screen and maybe put it on the wall in order to clear some desk space.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I think you would be better off with a 27" IPS panel, its very hard to get a really good large screen panel. The majority are VA which is a compromise between IPS and TN, really depends what you want from your monitor tbh.

Hardcore gaming stick with TN, IPS is the best middle ground but I stand to be corrected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

I wouldn't even say TN is for hardcore gaming unless you consider hardcore gaming professional eSports. I'd be inclined to say IPS is plenty good enough for any gaming including FPS games. TN is only useful for high refresh rate monitors but IPS does the job in 144hz and looks much better

VA panels have come a long way too. The chap from Hardware Unboxed that's linked above does the best monitor reviews imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Yep Hardware unboxed is the place to go. I think VAs will get significantly better again in the next year after seeing Samsung's g7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Check my ad on adverts.ie if you are looking for a top notch 34" ultrawide - I am looking to get a 49" ultrawide...

https://www.adverts.ie/monitors/lg-34gk950g-34-3440x1440-ultrawide-monitor/20900154

Advertisement